Fabian_CH
unleashyourmind

Abortion should not be legal

Fabian_CH

Pro

First off, I realize this topic is overused. But perhaps I can still find an interested opponent for my first debate :)

__________________

As Pro, I will be arguing that abortion should not be legal.

My opponent will argue specifically against this position:
Abortion is justifiable only in few, clearly defined circumstances. These are a pregnancy resulting from rape, and a pregnancy that significantly threatens the woman's health or life. Under all other circumstances, abortion should be illegal.

The Argument

1) Abortion is no different from homicide. Homicide is defined as the killing of a human being by another (1). Since a fetus is an individual member of the species homo sapiens - a human being, that is - intentionally killing it is homicide.

2) The argument that this is a woman's rights issue is a red herring.

(1) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
unleashyourmind

Con

Although you assumed my argument correctly, there is more to it then just those circumstances.

Yes. Women who are victims of rape should have the undivided right to choose whether or not they would like to bare a child they didn't want to have in the first place. Nevertheless, I also believe that a teenage pregnancy, although easily avoidable, can be a great hassle as well. Not only to the couple that made the child, but also the parents to both the mother and father. A victim of this circumstance should also have the right to abortion because of the following reasons:

1) if either parent can't afford to raise a child nor have the moral thoughts to begin to collect income, the teen should have to somehow abort the complication some other way.

2)Some parents don't have the physical or emotional stability to handle birth so if your thinking "adoption" then think again. Because the 9 months of suffering, although well deserved for not practicing safe sex in the first place, should not be put upon someone who is not ready to stand everlasting pain of baring a child and then watching them walk away with another insignificant person, with just a hope that you will one day meet again.

3) The kids aren't "murdering" anyone but themselves if they go through with having the baby. They have their whole life ahead of them, and they obviously don't want to live with this huge mistake on their backs their whole life. Second chances DO exist.
Fabian_CH

Pro

Alright, well first, thank you for accepting my challenge!

On to the argument...

__________________

Con did not address my principal argument that abortion is no different from homicide. My argument still stands.

Instead, Con proposes another exception. In doing so, she seems to concede that abortion should be illegal in all other circumstances. If that is not what she intended to argue, I would ask for clarity.

Her proposed exception, though, is flawed. Allow me to refute:

1) She seems to be arguing that a teen who cannot provide for a child should be able to abort that child. I would ask quite simply: why? If she concedes that abortion is no different from homicide, why should a teen be able to commit homicide, simply in order to avoid the consequences of a mistake (Con even seems to imply in her second argument that a pregnancy is "deserved suffering" for not practicing safe sex - I'll leave that up to the audience to decide personally; I don't necessarily agree)?

2) She even goes so far as to provide a solution if one is unable to provide for one's child. Adoption. But her argument against it seems to be that if a woman (or teen) goes through 9 months of pregnancy, and the pain of birth, she should not have to give away her child. Who's saying she has to? No one is forced to put their child up for adoption. If a woman has given birth to a child, it is her own choice whether to keep it or give it away.

3) I honestly don't see the reasoning here. Con says quite rightly that if a woman has (and keeps) a child, it will change her life drastically. She emotionally calls this "murdering" herself. Unfortunately, she also states that a woman who has an abortion isn't "murdering" anyone. Since she has so far not offered reasoning why abortion is different from homicide, that statement is simply unsupported by her argument.
Second chances do exist - but you can't kill an innocent, defenseless human being to get that second chance.

I look forward to Con's argument!
unleashyourmind

Con

unleashyourmind forfeited this round.
Fabian_CH

Pro

Well, since Con has forfeited her round, I'll just have to extend my arguments.
unleashyourmind

Con

unleashyourmind forfeited this round.
Posted by Grape 5 years ago
Grape
I could give you a much better debate on this issue.
Posted by Fabian_CH 5 years ago
Fabian_CH
Please don't forfeit your round! :) Just a friendly reminder :)
Posted by mauricio2 5 years ago
mauricio2
just becuase you have a living being in you it does not give you the right to choosse weather or not it lives to be a human being
Posted by mauricio2 5 years ago
mauricio2
everything fabian is saying is how i feel about abortion.....he just seem to put it in the right words
Posted by Fabian_CH 5 years ago
Fabian_CH
Oh! Please excuse me, I misread your third point! Ignore what I said about "murdering" then :) Sorry!
Posted by Fabian_CH 5 years ago
Fabian_CH
Thanks for accepting the debate! It's my first :)
Posted by unleashyourmind 5 years ago
unleashyourmind
is it selfish to want to give the baby you didn't want a life that's livable and happy?

sometimes thats not possible
Posted by mauricio2 5 years ago
mauricio2
i agree with everything pro is saying and cons reasons seem a little selfsh and just plain wrong but those are my views to other ppl that crap is okay