jimmypagejr71
Victoria_Wintour

Abortion should only be permitted in cases of rape and incest

jimmypagejr71

Pro

Although I am otherwise fairly liberal, I have a hard time rectifying the Democratic party's views on abortion with straight-forward common sense. I believe that abortion should only be permitted in cases of rape and incest, because just as it is the "woman's right to choose" to have an abortion according to the decision handed down in Roe v Wade, I believe it is the woman's choice to have a child as well, grounded on several ideas: (1) a woman who has unprotected intercourse with a man understands the risk of pregnancy involved; (2) a woman cannot "create" a child of her own volition: the act requires a man to fertilize the woman's ovum: therefore, a woman cannot claim authority independent of the man who inseminated her to terminate what she did not wholly create herself; (3) an "accidental" pregnancy resulting from misuse or even PROPER use of contraceptives is an inherent risk of sexual intercourse; for example, all women should know that the birth control pill, even used correctly, does not protect against pregnancy 100% of the time; (4) there is a duality in many of our laws that, while defining abortion as legal, simultaneously protect the unborn child: for example, if a pregnant mother is murdered, the murderer is frequently charged with DOUBLE, rather that single homicide; (5) the ovum, once inseminated by sperm, takes on a potential for life previously lacking when it was merely an unfertilized egg: therefore, I find it hard to reason that a fetus aborted even in the first trimester is not a life, in at least some regard.

I hope you will notice that I don't try to base any of my reasoning on religious precepts: these are questions of conscience, for me, independent of any assertion of divine plans. The debate over abortion is almost always an incredibly contentious one which inevitably brings out the harshest emotions in people. I welcome a debate that puts prejudices aside, and I am open to hearing legitimate challenges to my ideas.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

Hello Jimmy I wish to just take a short moment to thank you for opening up this heated debate topic and I look forwards to debating this with you. Good luck and may the best debate win.

I will first start my opening debate by commenting on some of the points you mentioned in your opening debate:

(1) The first point you raised was that a woman is aware of the risks when having unprotected sex. On face value this point sounds very good but when you start to look at our society you begin to realize that sometimes that is not always the case. An alarming amount of teenage and adult woman think that being on the pill alone is enough however in many cases it is not . You do mention this point in your speech however you say that woman need to be educated on the incorrect usage of these products but is it any way to educate them by making them have the mistake in the first place?Another point is that condoms can break even when used correctly with lubricant ect. We have not created a 100% full proof method of having sex that will guarantee you complete safety.

(2) You say that a man should have a say in the abortion of the child but yet he has not got to experience what is going to happen to the woman's body. Would you like someone to have a say in what happens to your body?

(3) You say that US law protects a baby that is unborn but that is on the premise that this baby is wanted and is planned to be born so it is based on a killing of a 'planned' life. It is projected it is not saying that he killed 2 people it is saying that he killed one person in material but another planned life was lost.

I will now make some statements of my own:

(1) Some families just aren't ready to have a family be it emotionally or financially. It is unfair to have a child grow up in a situation were they are in poverty or not being cared for properly. There will also exists a tension in the relationship as the parents do not actually want the baby and so will feel disconnected from it and may take out there issues on there child.

(2) Submitting a child to an orphanage is also wrong. Orphanages are over crowded and under funded meaning life quality is bad and children grow up feeling unloved, under educated, under nourished. There is already too much strain on these organisations

(3) giving the child away to another couple while great in theory as they don't have the same struggles as an orphanage still caries the same psychological issues of feeling not good enough. Not to mention that the space in the foster parents home could have been taken by a orphan thus helping reduce orphanages problems.

(4) Why should your view of abortions stop a woman having an abortion? You can choose not to have one why must everyone abide by this law?

Thank you
jimmypagejr71

Pro

jimmypagejr71 forfeited this round.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

Victoria_Wintour forfeited this round.
jimmypagejr71

Pro

jimmypagejr71 forfeited this round.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

Victoria_Wintour forfeited this round.
jimmypagejr71

Pro

jimmypagejr71 forfeited this round.
Victoria_Wintour

Con

Victoria_Wintour forfeited this round.