jjrazz
elphaba1389

Abortion should remain legal in the United States.

jjrazz

Pro

First, it must be established that I oppose the principle of destroying a human life, no matter how small. This moral implication do not compare to my three contentions which will show all voters that abortion should remain legal in the US.

Initially, abbortion has been previously illegalized. The results of this ban were catastrophic. Women received "Dark Alley Abortions." Allow me to elaborate. Women were determined to get an abortion, regardless of the legality. Since it was illegal, these women could not go to a respectable doctor in a sanitary practice for a good doctor would not break the law for them. Instead they had to go to sleezy, unlisenced practices who no little about how to properly abort a baby. It doesn't stop there though. The doctors rarely sterilized equipment and did the operations in unsanitary alley ways or other dark dirty locations where the police would not likely find them. Many women were raped by sleezy doctors and died of blood loss or infecion caused by unsanitary equipment. There is no evidence to suggest that this same scenario would not occur if it abortion became illegal. To prevent this horrible scenario from reoccuring, abortion should remain legal.

Secondly, desperate situations such as rape demand abortion. Many women are emotionally unable to bear a rape child for nine months. As a matter of fact, news sites such as CNN provide plenty of instances where women in this situation have committed suicide. Abortion must remain legal to protect rape victims. This right must be maintained for all women though otherwise it could be considered a bill of attainder.

Finally, the majority of abortions are done by impoverished and/or teenage woman. A recent university study proved that children of these groups of women usually have a low quality of life, often become a burden on society, and are more likely to end up in trouble with the law. Additionally, if unwanted children are born, they will be forced into foster homes or orphanages where they will unfortunatley cost society. As sad as it is, most abortions leave society better off.

I urge a pro vote.
elphaba1389

Con

First I'd like to thank jjrazz for challenging me to this debate. I think this is going to be a good debate. =)

Also let me say that I agree that there is no excuse for destroying a human life; however, I do believe that there are some exceptions to this point.

------------------------------

You mentioned "Dark Alley Abortions." Yes, the sad truth is that abortions are going to happen whether you legalize it or not; however, we as a nation need to do SOMETHING to control this devastating trend. Like seeking out those that perform this heinous act. Let me elaborate:

According to www.mccl.org/abortion_statistics.htm, the number of clinical abortions performed in the United States was 1,200,000. Granted, this number is significantly lower than that of 1990 when the number of abortions was 1,600,000, this number is still very large. If abortion was illegal, this number would drop significantly.

Also, you brought up the point of rape. Yes, I understand that women who are raped cannot bear to carry the child of a rapist. That's why I believe that rape is one of the exceptions to the illegal abortions rule. If a woman is raped, she should have the right to get an abortion if she chooses. Granted, the woman would have to be examined to determine this; simply so not every woman who had a "one night stand" can claim to be raped and get an abortion.

You mentioned teenage girls getting pregnant. Here is where I also believe that this should be an exception to the rule. A girl cannot get pregnant until she has her first period, so if a girl is foolish enough to not have protected sex and she gets pregnant, I believe that she shouldn't be allowed to get an abortion. Only in cases of rape. If a girl is "mature" enough to make the decision to have unprotected sex in the first place, she is "mature" enough to suffer the consequences.

Abortion should be illegal, because the whole idea of an abortion is to get rid of a child that you do not want. I do not believe that women should have the right to abort a child because of their foolishness, only cases of rape. Also if the pregnancy is detrimental to the mother, then she has the option of having the child and possibly dying or having an abortion.

Cost to society. While I can kind of see where you are coming from in terms of women getting abortions cuts down on the population, which costs society less, I cannot agree with you. The population will always be rising, that's a simple fact. Yes, the population is growing at a rate faster than we have ever seen. But as much as I agree that we should do something about trying to balance out the birth and death rate, I cannot stand behind the idea of aborting babies simply because it will help society.

In China, couples are limited to one child per household. Should that mother get pregnant again, then that family immediately goes to an abortion clinic. If we say that getting abortions help the economy, I can't help but wonder if we might end up doing the same thing; aborting a child to control the population. We as a nation can do things to encourage a slower population growth, like strongly encouraging only 1 child per household.
jjrazz

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I too look forward to this debate.

--------------------------

My opponent brings up several good points. However, when examined many of her points are flawed. Allow me to elaborate:

1) My opponent states "I agree that there is no excuse for destroying a human life; however, I do believe that there are some exceptions to this point." Here she is affirming the resolution by saying abortion should remain legal in the United States.

2) In her argument, my opponent pronounced that we ought to do something to prevent dark alley abortions. Allow me to clarify. These are only performed during times when abortion was illegal.

3) Later my opponent states, "the number of clinical abortions performed in the United States was 1,200,000." and, "If abortion was illegal, this number would drop significantly." This argument is unsound in the sense that she simply says illegalizing abortions will cut this hefty number but provides no statistical evidence to support this opinion. Contra positively, I have provided evidence that abortions will still be performed in a gruesome manner even if they are illegal. My opponent strengthens this point in saying, "Yes, the sad truth is that abortions are going to happen whether you legalize it or not;"

4) In supporting abortions for rape victims, my opponent supports the resolution because she wishes for abortions to remain legal in the United States.

5) The sad truth is that most teenage girls have neither the maturity nor the resources to give birth to and care for a baby. According to Bank of America, less than 2% of teens posses more than $1000. Nowadays, driving to the hospital for regular check ups will consume all their money. Additionally, "if a girl is foolish enough to not have protected sex," she is most likely immature seeing as thesauruses consider the "foolish" and immature to be synonyms.

6) I never stated that abortion is good for decreasing the surplus population. I merely state statistic proving aborted children, if born, were likely to become a burden on society and are likely to have a lower quality of life. As terrible as it sounds, terminating these pregnancies protects the fetus from harsh lives and lower the amount of money the US has to spend on welfare, unemployment, and prisons.

7) My opponents case is purely based on her personal bias and opinions. Throughout her argument she offer 1 stat whereas she said "I believe" or something to the same effect once or twice in every paragraph. I remind my opponent and judges that personal afflictions do not win debates.

I urge a pro vote from the judges based on my refutations and 3 points of analysis; previous attempts to illegalize abortion have been harmful to society, severe situations demand abortions, and abortions have a net benefit for the nation.
elphaba1389

Con

first of all, I would like to REMIND my opponent that I do not believe that abortion should remain legal in this country. If I did, then I wouldn't be having this debate with you.

Also, you said "In her argument, my opponent pronounced that we ought to do something to prevent dark alley abortions. Allow me to clarify. These are only performed during times when abortion was illegal." According to CNN's "The People Bomb", back alley abortions are performed for two reasons: 1. abortions are illegal & 2. the woman requesting the abortion does not have the funds necessary to undergo a safe and sterile abortion in a clinic. So to say that back alley abortions are ONLY performed when abortions are illegal is a misconception.

You said, "Later my opponent states, "the number of clinical abortions performed in the United States was 1,200,000." and, "If abortion was illegal, this number would drop significantly." This argument is unsound in the sense that she simply says illegalizing abortions will cut this hefty number but provides no statistical evidence to support this opinion." You want evidence? Here's your evidence:

According to (www.lifenews.com), in a report published by the United Nations concerning the relationship between legalizing abortions and the number of maternal deaths; and I quote:

"nations with laws legalizing abortion have not seen a corresponding drop in the rate of maternal deaths...Meanwhile, other reports have shown that the advancement of medical technology, including the invention of penicillin, led to a decrease in the number of illegal abortion deaths -- not legalizing abortion."

----------------------------

According to (www.forerunner.com), in an article concerning illegal abortions and the outcome if abortions were illegal. Again, I quote:

"...there were a comparatively small number of illegal abortions pre-Roe, suggesting that the total number of abortions would drop substantially if protective laws were again in effect."

----------------------------

You said, "...I have provided evidence that abortions will still be performed in a gruesome manner even if they are illegal."

Where is your evidence? Because here is mine to suggest otherwise:

According to (www.tnrtl.org), in an article concerning the common myth that mass-back alley abortions would be performed if abortion was illegal. And I quote:

"One of the most common arguments abortion advocates make in defense of legal abortion is that making abortion illegal will cause women to go to the "back alleys" and obtain unsafe abortions. They cite how thousands of women died as a result of unsafe abortions before abortion was legalized through the Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision...

About 50,000 women of child-bearing age die each year -- from all causes combined. To suggest that 10,000 of these deaths were from illegal abortion would make that the cause of one out of every five deaths, or twenty percent. This would have made illegal abortion the leading cause of death among women in that age group...

According to data from the National Center for Health Statistics, the legalization of abortion was not responsible for reducing abortion-related deaths. This discovery of antibiotics in the 1940's did that by providing effective treatment for infections...

Legalizing abortion should have eliminated some deaths related to illegal abortions. That is not the case. In the years from 1963-1969, there were an average of approximately 55 deaths per year due to illegal abortions. In 1970, after this initial wave of laws legalizing abortions, there were 109. Deaths from illegal abortions increased...

Effective medical treatments helped reduce abortion related deaths and the legalization of abortion never played a significant role (and never will) in affecting the numbers of women who died from legal or illegal abortion-related deaths....women continue to die from so-called "safe, legal" abortions (perhaps in greater numbers than we know) is a clear indication that abortion is unsafe and hurts women - legal or otherwise."

----------------------------

You said "In supporting abortions for rape victims, my opponent supports the resolution because she wishes for abortions to remain legal in the United States."

No sir, I do not believe that abortions should remain legal. Like every rule, their are exceptions. In this case rape & physical condition is the exception; however, abortion is being used as a form of birth control, not as a means of helping the mother because of physical condition or rape. And I have scientific evidence to back that up:

According to (www.tnrtl.org) in an article concerning abortions and its reasons. And I quote:

"FACT: An Alan Guttmacher Institute survey found that nearly one-half of women obtaining abortions said they used no birth control method during the month they got pregnant.

FACT: Add to this the fact that, at most, only five percent of all abortions are done for the mother's physical or psychological health. Rape and incest are cited as reasons for less than 1 % of all abortions.

FACT: Nationally, 82 % of women obtaining abortions are unmarried. The statistics strongly suggest abortion is used as birth control."

--------------------------

Also, there is scientific evidence that proves that even LEGAL abortions aren't safe. According to (www.tnrtl.org), abortions have very high risks and many complications can arise. Among which include: breast cancer, one source indicated a 140% increase risk following an abortion (British Journal of Cancer), "24.3% experience complications in future pregnancies. Complications include: excessive bleeding, premature delivery, cervical damage, and sterility.", pelvic inflammatory disease, & uterine perforations. Placenta previa - a condition producing extremely severe, life threatening bleeding in future pregnancies. Statistics show a 600% increased risk following abortion, according to the American Journal of Obs. and Gyn.

Women who have had a previous abortion run a 200% increased risk of miscarriage (Journal of the American Medical Association), a 160% increased risk of tubal pregnancy (American Journal of Public Health), and an increased risk of abnormal positioning of the baby in future pregnancies after one or more abortion (American Journal of Obs. and Gyn.)

------------------

Not to mention the mental and emotional harm that an abortion brings:

According to (www.tnrtl.org):

"Dr. Anne Speckhard, in a University of Minnesota study, researched "long-term manifestations of abortion" (5-10 years), and found that 81% of mothers reported preoccupation with their aborted child, 54% had nightmares, 35% had perceived visitations with their child, and 96% felt their abortion had taken a human life.

Immediately after an abortion, many women report a feeling of relief ... which is what all abortionists want you to hear. What you won't hear of is the guilt and depression that frequently follows. A national poll found that at least 56% of women experience a sense of guilt over their decision, though the pollster himself acknowledged that many women will not even admit having had an abortion. In fact, a five-year study shows that 25% of women who have had abortions sought out psychiatric care, versus just 3% of women who have not had abortions. Further, numerous studies reveal that women who have had an abortion experience a high incidence of depression, stress, low self-esteem, suicidal feelings and substance abuse."

------------------------------

Abortion does more harm than good, that is not a "personal bias", that is a cold hard FACT. As outlined by the evidence above.
jjrazz

Pro

I would like to appologize to my opponent and request that she would join me in refrain from debating this round. I have insufficient time to post an argument. Thank you.
elphaba1389

Con

I have no choice than to forfeit this round. If my opponent doesn't post an argument in response to the one I made in Round 2, I have nothing to debate. I can't post an argument when there is nothing to argue against.
jjrazz

Pro

jjrazz forfeited this round.
elphaba1389

Con

Well, seeing as how my opponent decided to forfeit this round too I will give my closing argument based upon solely what was presented.

Abortion does more harm than good for the woman having the abortion. Scientific studies prove this by stating that serious risks are involved, as well as pyschological problems that arise as the result of having an abortion, not to mention the long-term effects.

There is no excuse for using abortion as a form of birth control. Considering that most abortions are used in this way (as justified in my previous argument), I believe that abortions should be illegal. Yes, rape and physical condition are exceptions, but these account for only a small percentage of all abortions, (less than 5%, if I'm not mistaken. The stats for this are in my last argument) and have legitimate reasons for being performed. Even in that instance, the woman would be able to choose whether to have the child or not.

Again, I thank my opponent for this debate. And I wish you luck in the future =)
Posted by SportsGuru 6 years ago
SportsGuru
*"very busy" and "would have adequate"
Posted by SportsGuru 6 years ago
SportsGuru
Normally, I would take a challenge. However, I am vey busy and I do not feel I would adequate time to fully debate this. Thus, I must regretfullly reject this challenge.
Vote Placed by ANSmith 5 years ago
ANSmith
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 5 years ago
s0m31john
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by Zerosmelt 5 years ago
Zerosmelt
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by JoeBob 5 years ago
JoeBob
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by advidiun 5 years ago
advidiun
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by blondesrule502 5 years ago
blondesrule502
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by CP 5 years ago
CP
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by christiandebater 5 years ago
christiandebater
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by oboeman 5 years ago
oboeman
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Vote Placed by basketballbeast7 5 years ago
basketballbeast7
jjrazzelphaba1389Tied
Research this debate: United States