MoonGazer
changb

Abortion should remain legal

MoonGazer

Pro

The 1st round is for conformation and rules. Thank you to whoever accept this debate as well. The last round will be for a closing statement where we sum up our final points in support for our argument.

Rules:
1)No swearing directed at someone
2) No insulting
3) Always conduct yourself politely

I support that abortion should remain legal.

Abortion: An abortion is the medical process of ending a pregnancy so it does not result in the birth of a baby.

Again, thank you to my opponent who accepts.
changb

Con

I accept going the con side of this debate
MoonGazer

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I hope we have an enjoyable debate.
I will start of by saying that abortion should remain legal. For many reasons that I will state below. Believing that abortion should be legal, is not the same as saying that abortion is moral. I, as a women, wouldn't have an abortion, as I don't think it is morally right, and I would only have an extreme situations (some stated below). But, that doesn't mean that I think it should be illegal, is it is taking a fundamental right off other women. I may not agree with abortion, but if I did get pregnant, I am not forced to have an abortion. Whereas, it being illegal means women don't get a choice, or may have to take drastic measures.

- If you did make abortion illegal, you would be taking away the rights of the women who are pregnant, as I view abortion as a fundamental right. Yes, you may not agree with abortion, but does that mean they should be lumbered with the burden of motherhood if they did not want it (this also leads me on to my second point).

- I take the viewpoint that if a young girl made a mistake through carelessness through sexual intercourse, motherhood shouldn't be a punishment for them. Barack Obama said in 2008 "I have two daughters... I'm going to teach them first about values and morals, but if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

- Fetuses are incapable of feeling pain when an abortion is performed. This does make it more humane, because at least the fetus does not feel any pain, and you aren't harming anyone by doing this. Stuart W. G. Derbyshire, PhD, Senior Lecturer at the University of Birmingham (United Kingdom), "not only has the biological development not yet occurred to support pain experience, but the environment after birth, so necessary to the development of pain experience, is also yet to occur."

- If abortion is also made illegal. Women are more likely to go to "back-street" abortion clinics which is illegal and dangerous. It is not like it is preventing less abortions, you are just putting women's lives in danger. The World Health Organization estimated in 2006 that "back-alley" abortions cause 68,000 maternal deaths each year in countries where abortion is not legal. Do women deserve to die because they had an accidental pregnancy, seems a heavy price to pay, that may not even be their fault.

- Anti-abortion campaigns are usually based on religious beliefs, like the Catholic church. If abortion becomes illegal, this can threaten the separation between the church and the state.

- Women can also get pregnant through means that is not their fault. Say if a women is raped? It is not the fetuses fault that she was raped and got pregnant, but it could be dangerous for the child, as the mother may take her anger out on the child, and it would be unwanted. Giving it up for adoption would mean the state would have to pay and support it. Also, contraceptive methods have been known to fail as well, what do you do then? Risk the mothers life with an illegal, unsafe abortion or lumber her with the burden of motherhood.

- Also, what if it is a risk to the mothers health, and having an abortion could have devastating consequences for the mother? Do you still deny her the right to an abortion, even if it means losing the life of an actual human being, for the sake of an unborn fetus? Then that would mean the child would grow up without a mother.
There could be a possibility that the child is severely disabled, and the mother doesn't want to have a child, that will not have a healthy life, as she may view that as unfair on the child and it's parents.

-How would it also affect a child being born into a world, where it is unwanted? You could give the child up for adoption, but that isn't the best start in life for the child. It is unfair. It would also be relying on the state, until it is old enough to pay for itself. The household may not be able to afford the child, they may want the child, but can't afford another mouth to feed. Do you bring a child into this world where it is going to be going short on items and basics?
changb

Con

changb forfeited this round.
MoonGazer

Pro

I will wait for my opponent!
changb

Con

changb forfeited this round.
MoonGazer

Pro

MoonGazer forfeited this round.
changb

Con

changb forfeited this round.
Posted by TheUnapologeticTruth 3 years ago
TheUnapologeticTruth
I'll take this debate :)
Posted by MoonGazer 3 years ago
MoonGazer
Apologize for the forfeight, I had not internet for a few days so I couldn't reply.
Posted by CatholicTraditionalist 3 years ago
CatholicTraditionalist
So the title of this debate is "Abortion should remain legal". Since abortion is the killing of an innocent human being, then another way one could have worded the title is to say "Murder should remain legal".
CatholicTraditionalist
Posted by LoyalKnight 3 years ago
LoyalKnight
One does not simply have the choice to kill a baby, even if unwanted. For the sake of convenience blood is spilt, and the guilt of the innocent is on the hands of the mother. A fetus is a life, whether you like it or not. It's just a baby that will be a baby in 1 year! Apparently, after that point, when you kill it, it's a crime. Lame...
Posted by LoyalKnight 3 years ago
LoyalKnight
Is it not interesting that pro-choice advocates support abortion, which IMO is the taking of a young innocent life, yet are firmly against the notion of Capital Punishment, which punishes the hardened and bloody criminal for grievous crimes. Hmmm.
Posted by MoonGazer 3 years ago
MoonGazer
I agree, there defiantly should be a time cap, I think the latest you can have an abortion is 24 or 26 weeks, which I think is too late indeed. I think the time should be shortened defiantly!
Posted by jeanetta98 3 years ago
jeanetta98
Add on--- tap certain time point, don't say at 6 months that you want an abortion its too late!!! You should haves gotten it earlier.
Posted by jeanetta98 3 years ago
jeanetta98
Abortion should remain legal, of. Woman does not want a baby she should not have it. If you say she can just put it up for adoption what woman wants to sit through 9 months of suffering just to give it up.
Posted by MoonGazer 3 years ago
MoonGazer
I'm glad you share the same viewpoint. I think women should have the option of a safe and legal abortion, but that doesn't mean I actually support it. I would never dream of having an abortion, only in exceptional circumstances. That right doesn't deserve to be taken away from people who support abortion just because I don't.
I see many people who post that abortion is morally wrong, but where do they stand legally? This is mainly why I started the debate.
In my opinion:
Morally - Abortion is wrong
Legally - Abortion should be legal