Ro
Kinesis

Abortion...briefly

Ro

Pro

Surely getting rid of a child that isn't wanted is better than letting it live a life that was unwanted? If Abortion is even being considered, it should be done. A new life shouldn't be created unless the creators are absolutely certain they can provide, emotionally and physically, as perfect a quality of life as in their power.
Kinesis

Con

Whoa...750 characters. Should have noticed that. I'll keep this brief.

I pose a question to the audience. If your parents hadn't wanted you, would you still want to have been born? Of course; just because you are the product of unfortunate circumstances doesn't mean you can't lead a happy, full life. It is absurd to suggest that if abortion is even being considered it should be done. What if the women is just suffering nerves and would actually bring up the child well?

What you haven't considered is that if an abortion is taking, place, life has already been created. You aren't preventing life, you are destroying it. You are talking about contraception, not abortion. A foetus is most definitely alive.
Ro

Pro

First off, thank you :)

If my parents hadn't wanted me I would not want to live this life..I would feel a burden to their happiness. I feel that the parents not being properly prepared emotionally, at least, for a child would hinder a 'happy, full life', and that proper preparation and certainty would improve the quality of said life whether relatively okay in the first place; not perfect.
Maybe my wording was unclear, but I assumed people would take 'considering an abortion' to be a deeper, more long term thing than nerves. I also assumed that the situation has come to the point that it's too late for contraception, or i would definitely recommend that, obviously! A foetus may be living but it's as close to the root problem as possible
Kinesis

Con

I suspect you are in a minority, then. In fact, I doubt you even really believe it yourself. Do you honestly think you shouldn't be allowed to live just because you will be a 'burden' to your parents? Is your life worth less than your parents having to work a little harder to support you? Do you value your life that little?

Here is the testimony of a women who was conceived by rape, and still leads a wonderful life, with three children of her own- http://www.righttoliferoch.org... . If a women feels she can't provide for the child, she can put it up for adoption.

The sad fact is, many women do have abortion for trivial reasons. Sometimes, they even use it as a form of contraception. Having one every time they get pregnant.
Ro

Pro

I don't think i'm a minority at all; surely I owe it to my parents to be more of an improvement to their life than not, they gave me this life in the first place, what bigger thing could they do for me? It's not that I 'shouldn't be allowed', it's that I wouldn't Want to. I should have been born to improve life for everyone, obviously mainly myself but not at the expense of others happiness.

Adoption is no way for a child to live..it's generally not a happy upbringing so that shouldn't even be thought of, let alone as a solution to something that could've been solved at the root of the problem. Yes, using abortion as contraception is wrong, I am arguing assuming the option of contraception has passed by accident, or 'un thought out'.
Kinesis

Con

I disagree- the point of having a child isn't to improve the life of the parents. It is to bring a new life into the world, so that they can pursue the goals they want to. Besides, many women have had abortions and later regretted it, because they realise later on that they could have happily cared for their child but were bogged down by irrational uncertainties at the time: http://www.catholicplanet.com...

Many people are adopted and live happy, full lives. Here is an entire thread of adopted people sharing their stories: http://answers.yahoo.com... . How are we to stop people using abortion as contraception? People could just lie and say they they forgot to use contraception.
Ro

Pro

Ro forfeited this round.
Ro

Pro

Ro forfeited this round.
Kinesis

Con

Well, this was nice little three round debate...
Vote Placed by Koopin 6 years ago
Koopin
RoKinesisTied
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 7 years ago
Ore_Ele
RoKinesisTied