Hello I'd like to thank the opponent who ever it may be for accepting this debate. I hope it is of benefit to me and the opponent as well, let's get started on some definitions and rules for the debate.

~=~= Pro & Con ~=~=

Pro - Will be chosen by me I have the burden of proving abortion should remain legal.

Con: Will be chosen by the opponent he/she will have the burden of proving why abortion should become illegal.

Side note: This debate will focus on Abortion within the United States.

~=~= Resolution ~=~=

Abortion should remain legal.

~=~= Definitions ~=~=

Abortion - The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy.

Remain - Continue to exist, esp. after other similar or related people or things have ceased to exist.

Legal - Of, based on, or concerned with the law.

Side note: The opponent may decline these definitions and put forwards, his/her own.

~=~= Regulations ~=~=

1. First round will be for acceptance, the second round each opponent will put forward his/her contentions. Third round will be for rebuttals only and no new cases, will be presented.

2. Please refrain from using language which may be of offense to the opponent, or a member of the audience.

Side note: The opponent may decline the rules and put forward his/her own.

Thank you and good luck.

I accept. Good luck to my opponent.

Thanks to the opponent for accepting the debate, let me get started on presenting my contentions but first I will present a brief history of Abortion within the United States.

Abortion has been legal in the United States since the times of It's first settlers, this all started to change in the mid 1800's when abortion was becoming illegal from state to state. The main reason why abortion had become illegal in some states was because of the fear that the population would be dominated by the children of immigrants which birth was highest among them, rather then citizens. From the 1800's to 1973 Abortion was illegal in the United States, I will like to point out that even though abortion was illegal abortion rates we're among 1.2 million a year. The year 1973 was a huge milestone to public health policy, and to some citizens considered a huge milestone towards woman's rights.[1] This year the Supreme Court made abortion legal in all of the United States with the case of Roe Vs. Wade. Ever since 1973 abortion has been legal and pro-choice citizens rejoice with happiness and believe the battle on abortion has been complete. But this is not the case for all, some pro-choice citizens are on a fight on a daily basis to make abortion illegal, and to this date some believe the day will come. Today I am here to defend why abortion should remain legal and to persuade the opponent and the audience to agree with me.

~=~= Contentions ~=~=

I will like to begin by defining democracy.

Democracy - A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

I will like to take the definition of democracy a little bit further, in a democratic society every single citizen has a voice that should be heard by It's government. As well in a democratic society every citizen has rights to which they are born with and can't be denied by anyone. In a democratic society every citizen has a choice, wether the choice is beneficial or can penalize their life it is their final choice and no man nor woman can come between it. But also in a democratic society it is true that the choice of one citizen can affect another, in this case the government should intervene and in my eyes have the right to take that choice away when it can harm society rather then citizen by it self. All of this will lead to my first contention of choices. Before the opponent states that my first contention supports his position when I state that when a choice of one person affects other humans in society the government should intervene and remove that choice, I will like to remind him that fetus are not considered humans nor citizens of the United States since 1973. Since the Roe Vs. Wade case the Supreme Court decided that fetus are not citizens of this country therefor have no claim to the rights the government of the United States offers to it's citizens.[2] Yet the government does offer woman freedom of choice, wether we agree morally with the choice or not the choice is of the woman and no one should ever intervene.

For many years many pro-choice citizens have attempted to prove that abortion is dangerous and deadly, I will prove the opposite that the process of birth is more harmful and dangerous rather then abortion. Studies show this, according to the National Center for Health Statistics that the rate of woman dying during childbirth is 1 in 7,500. While the rate of woman dying during the process of abortion is 1 in 1,000,000. In fact even abortions performed greater then 21 weeks which is only a percentage of 1.1% of all abortions is 1 in 11,000 far lower then the process of childbirth. According to these statistics abortion is safer then childbirth. Also many pro-choice citizens have tried to prove a link between breast cancer and abortion which the American Cancer Society disagrees with. Something the medical historian Jacob M. Appel has calculated is that if the fifty million abortions that have occurred since roe vs. wade case we're to become full term deliveries five hundred woman would have died just of childbirth. [3] So to conclude this contention, I will like to state that when someone states that abortion is deadly, you can tell them the percentage of death between abortion and childbirth death is more common in childbirth. So when a woman decides to have an abortion, she has lowered the chance of her death through her pregnancy.

According to studies in 1994 49% of pregnancies we're unintended and to prove that most woman that have unintended pregnancies do not want to go through childbirth 54% of these pregnancies ended up in an abortion.[4] Which will also lead to why unintended pregnancies end up to the point of unwanted children, which is dangerous and even deadly. Psychological studies show that unwanted childbearing can lead to health, social and psychological consequences. Heath problem include chances of illness and death for mother and child. Unwanted childbearing has lead to divorce, poverty and juvenile delinquency. I will also like to state that teenage mothers are more likely to suffer from toxemia anemia and birth complications. Also babies of teenage mothers are more likely to be born with neurological defects and suffer birth injuries. In a society where abortion is legal we lower the chances of all these complications occurring.[5]

~=~= Conclusion ~=~=

To make the conclusion easy and simple in a democratic society where abortion is legal, not only are woman's rights being put in order but woman also have a chance to a healthier life.

Deathbeforedishonour forfeited this round.

MusicLove forfeited this round.

Vote Placed by ApostateAbe 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit
Vote Placed by GMDebater 5 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit.