jscutaro
justinegiani

Abortion

jscutaro

jscutaro

Con

In my opinion, abortion is morally and ethically wrong, and should be illegal except in the case of extenuating circumstances, (explained later). Abortion being legal only teaches our society that rather then dealing with an accident or mistake, you can simply give some money to a doctor in order to "fix" the problem. Sure, there are arguments that a fetus is not technically a human being yet, and that by aborting it, we are not denying its natural rights to life. But in all honesty, who are we to judge that? Sex, birth, and life are all natural processes, and the more we tamper with them, the worse the consequences could be. I feel that abortion simply makes people lazier. Rather then taking responsibility for what happened, they'd rather deny a potential human being its right to life, because they do not want the responsibility of taking care of him/her.
justinegiani

Pro

I believe a child deserves the right to the opportunities, shelter, love and support in order to be a happy, nurturing and successful member of society. I believe that a child should only be brought into this world if such needs are able to be met. Although, I can understand one's argument against abortion I fully believe that raising a child in unsuitable conditions can result in a child that suffers from an unfulfilling childhood and bring those problems into adolescence. I believe that a child can be exposed these unsuitable conditions when a pregnancy was either unplanned or unwanted. For the sole benefit of the child, I believe everyone deserves the right to choose abortion because a child should only be brought into this world if they have the rights to a free, loving and supportive life.
jscutaro

Con

I understand what you are saying, however, I feel the best benefit that we may give a child is life itself. There are plenty of people who have grown up in poor conditions and made something of themselves. Abortion is wrong because it never even gives the child a chance. And even if the parents say there doing it so the child wont have to grow up with parents who aren't ready, in all honesty, they are most likely doing it for selfish reasons. Whether you are ready or not, you got pregnant, so that is the time to grow up and deal with it. No matter what the conditions are that he/she will be brought up in, I'm sure they will find their place in the world. In the case of extenuating circumstances, for example, a child who will be born with down syndrome, or other conditions that would seriously inhibit their quality of life, then I feel that abortion is justified. However, if the only worry of the parents is that the child will be raised in unsuitable conditions, then it is not. We, as adults, have an obligation to ensure that the child does grow up in suitable conditions, rather then denying its right to life all together.
justinegiani

Pro

Although there are some people who can grow from poor to successful, there are many more who have devastating and long-lasting consequences that bring them to a depressed adolescence and adulthood. Children who are not given there 5 psychological needs can bring feelings of regret, sorrow, sadness, and depression throughout there life. I do not believe a child should be brought into this world unless they can receive the absolute best upbringing possible.
jscutaro

Con

True, but it is not our choice to decide who lives and who dies, and especially not who never even has a chance to live. We cannot see into the future, therefore we cannot know what kind of life that child will have, we just have to hope for the best. Everyone knows that life is not easy, and abortion doesn't mean we are "saving" these potential children from it. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say "don't have sex before marriage," because that is no longer the norm. However, if you are going to have sex before marriage, you should know, accept, and be aware of the potential consequences. I feel that the possibility of abortion causes people to make even worse decisions, because its basically telling our society that any problem can be fixed with money. You had sex and you got pregnant, but luckily for you, you don't have to deal with it. Instead, you can just pay a doctor to "take care" of it.
justinegiani

Pro

This issue is not about the potential parent, it is about the child that had no choice in their making. If someone was to have an abortion, I believe that person was making the right decision for themselves but also for there child. If a person has too many doubts about having a child then I do not believe they deserve too; furthermore, I do not believe the child deserves a parent that is not prepared mentally, physically and financially to bring up this child with everything they need. My belief of "Pro-Choice" is because I am an advocate for children because that child does not have
jscutaro

Con

A woman having the right to choose is a god given natural right, however, so is the right to life after conception. Who are we to decide which is more important, and in my opinion, the right to life far surpasses the right to choose. There are some couples who wait for years on adoption waiting lists, so there is obviously not a shortage of parents to take care of these children. Giving your child up for adoption must be difficult to do, however, I can't see how denying its right to live as being easier. Your argument "I believe they are making the right decision for themselves, but also for there child," is not warranted. We have no right to decide that, and we never will. Once the sperm and the egg are joined, it should be completely out of our control. Aborting a fetus is against our natural human rights, and just because a fetus is in-capable of making this choice, does not mean that we can. Our society has grown arrogant, thinking we are in control of everything. Natural processes such as birth are far beyond our grasp, and should not be tampered with. We have to accept that there are just some things that we can not, and should not control. Also, if killing an unborn fetus is considered ethical in our society, what's next?
justinegiani

Pro

Before you can attack the ethical concerns about abortion, you would need to attack all the other ethical isssues regarding the medical profession. People are living longer than intended due to advances in medicine. Abortion is another advancement; it is an advancement in which we give parents and children to choose a better life for themselves. By providing parents with the choice, we are hopefully allowing parents to choose the right time to bring a child in the world. There are too many children being born into violence and poverty. There are too many children without childhoods. I believe these children are born into this because of teen pregnancies and pregnancies impacted by poverty. Although you said people born into poverty can rise up, I believe people born into poverty or a bad childhood will have too many bad avenues in their life.
jscutaro

Con

So your'e basically saying that is children aren't born into a family with money, there chances of having a bad childhood is much greater? Also, people living longer due to advances in medicine is a completely separate issue, with completely separate arguments. This notion only further re-iterates our societies arrogance. We feel that since we can potentially be in control of how long we live, or what diseases we can get, that we can be in control of who lives and who doesn't. Abortion isn't an advancement, it only sends our society further down the immoral road that we are on. We have to deal with and accept the mistakes we make, not take care of them at the cost of a human life.
justinegiani

Pro

Overall, abortion is not a means to end a life. Abortion is a means to create life at the right time. A child deserves to be born into a proper situation where they can have a great childhood which will lead to a safe adolescence and ultimately increase chances into becoming a successful member of society as an adult. Yes, I agree that is very unfortunate for those who cannot have children; that does not merit parents having children when they are completely unfit for the responsibility.
Posted by GEIxBattleRifle 3 years ago
GEIxBattleRifle
All the right to life really is, is a subjective agreement between entities actually able to make an agreement towards it which the unborn can not.

If we can kill mosquitos and leaches that attach to us and suck blood out of us like the unborn do, then it should be ok to kill the unborn for that same reason
Posted by smc_gamer 4 years ago
smc_gamer
Good debate. Both Pro and Con's arguments were concise and convincing, and both made some very interesting points.
Vote Placed by SuburbiaSurvivor 4 years ago
SuburbiaSurvivor
jscutarojustinegianiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Spotty arguments. I'd say Con had an edge. But it was so slight that I'm only giving him a point, rather then the full three points for a regular convincing argument.