Karyssa1993
tmar19652

Abortion

tmar19652

Karyssa1993

Pro

This is a touchy subject, but abortion is present in modern times. In some sense, I am for abortion. I say this because sometimes things happen that people cannot control. For example, if a woman is raped, I think she should have the right to decide whether or not if she wants to end the pregnancy; if she is willing to end it then abortion should be left open as an option for her. Just like everything else, it is a decision; if the child is born, the woman decides many things such as the name of the child, school it attends, clothes it wears and food it eats. Abortion, just like the other examples, is simply another decision about the child. I do understand that it is a human life, and that is why the man and the woman should actually sit down and make a decision about what they want to do. If a couple is not financially ready to care for another life, then they should not attempt to have a child.
tmar19652

Con

I will accept this debate. Remember, you have the burden of proof since you did not specify.
Karyssa1993

Pro

Since we only have 3 rounds, please make your argument.
tmar19652

Con

In most abortion debates, con has to prove that the fetus is a human being in order to justify banning abortion, however, Pro has already made my case by stating “I do understand that it is a human life”, essentially handing me this debate. By stating that the fetus is a human life, killing a fetus is criminal homicide (1).

Now that you have admitted the fetus is a human life, to say that abortion should be a legal choice is like saying that I should be able to walk up to you-and shoot you to death, legally.

I have shown that according to Pro’s own admission, that abortion is murder, and that it should not be allowed. Pro has not made any arguments (and it is debate etiquette not to make new arguments in the final round), and therefore you should vote con!!!!!

1. 1. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Karyssa1993

Pro

If abortion was officially criminal homicide, then no state would even allow it right now. And there's a difference; abortion deals with the life that a woman must handle for nine months while homicide is just killing another being whether you know them or not. Also, would a miscarriage be considered murder? I bet you would say no. By the way, I'm actually on both sides that's why I acknowledged that it's a human life, but this website doesn't allow for that even though there are good arguments for both sides. And don't be too cocky, sir. It's just an online debate and I need this for an assignment. It's not like you're running for president in 2016, but thank you for your input; it's truly valued.
tmar19652

Con

"If abortion was officially criminal homicide, then no state would even allow it right now. And there's a difference; abortion deals with the life that a woman must handle for nine months while homicide is just killing another being whether you know them or not."
  • Many states do not recognize the life of a fetus as a person; therefore, they do not see it as a criminal offence. Also, your nine months argument would justify the killing of a nine-month old (post-birth) infant, so it is not valid. You by your own admission recognize the life of a fetus, as the life of a human, so therefore, for the purposes of this debate; abortion would count as criminal homicide.

"Also, would a miscarriage be considered murder? I bet you would say no"
  • A miscarriage is not a murder because it is accidental. Abortion is the planned, intentional, killing of a human, therefore it is murder.

My opponent then called me cocky, which warrants the deduction of a conduct point.

I have provided a case for why abortion should not be allowed, I have refrained from using ad-hominem arguments, and I used the only source, therefore I urge you to vote Con!!
Posted by Karyssa1993 3 years ago
Karyssa1993
Why is everybody taking this website serious? Like I said I only did this for an assignment. I've never heard of a conduct point and I really don't care for them. I don't care for the votes either. I just want other people to join in and give me there idea about whether they agree with abortion or not. So stop voting and start commenting, please. Thank you.
Posted by morgan2252 3 years ago
morgan2252
KeytarHero:

And that's where the controversy comes in. In my debate, I argued that despite the fact that they are biologically humans, if you think of it from a philolosophical perspective, they lack emotions and color and are not human yet.

I respect your opinion and I hope you can respect mine.

Avamys:

I agree. There was probably a character limit.
Posted by Avamys 3 years ago
Avamys
Wikipedia is not a very reliable source as many people (whom may not be experts) can edit it. I am shocked that the arguments were so short. Tons more could be said.
Posted by KeytarHero 3 years ago
KeytarHero
Morgan, the fetus/embryo that is conceived by two humans is a human. Living things reproduce after their own kind. It's an uncontroversial fact of science that a human embryo/fetus is biologically a human.
Posted by morgan2252 3 years ago
morgan2252
Karyssa:

If you're doing an assignment and you need reasons a fetus is not human for the pro side of a topic, check out my debate on abortion here:

http://www.debate.org...
Vote Placed by likespeace 3 years ago
likespeace
Karyssa1993tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro accepted the burden of proof yet posted no arguments in favor of their position. Conduct to Con as well--he presented arguments and attempting to make this a debate.
Vote Placed by BigSky 3 years ago
BigSky
Karyssa1993tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro, that was kind of sad. Good arguments by con.
Vote Placed by KeytarHero 3 years ago
KeytarHero
Karyssa1993tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's usage of cocky was not intended in a demeaning spirit, so it doesn't warrant a deduction for conduct. However, by Pro's admission the unborn is human (she even referred to it as a child). Con capitalized on this, and Pro did not sufficiently show why it would be okay to kill an unborn human if you can't kill a born human. Arguments go to Con, though the debate was not a stellar one on any side by any stretch of the imagination. Also, no one gets sources. Pro didn't use any, but Con's source (Wikipedia) was unreliable. Killing a human fetus is criminal homicide in some states (like California), but not others (like Colorado). I'll give spelling and grammar to Con since he formatted, and Pro's argument was one long block of text.
Vote Placed by wiploc 3 years ago
wiploc
Karyssa1993tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro refused to argue in the first two rounds, and then claimed to be on both sides in the final round. Why would he start a debate with no intent do argue? In any case, Con wins because Pro effectively forfeited.
Vote Placed by morgan2252 3 years ago
morgan2252
Karyssa1993tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to con because pro brings too much emotion into the debate by saying, "And don't be too cocky, sir." Sources to con because he has the only source. Spelling and grammar is good on both sides, and the arguments are equally convincing.