Paperxperson1
EvanK

Abortion

Paperxperson1

Pro

What if the child is to be born into an uncaring, financially unstable, dangerous household? What if the mother is unable to carry the child for a full nine months due to work or money, why put so much on the line for a child that isn't wanted? In a lot of cases, adoption isn't an option. There are thousands of unadopted children. Also in many cases the mother and father take precaution but condoms and birth control, even when used together, are not 100% effective. There is no life at conception either. It is not murder, there is no human involved... a fetus, zygote, blastocyst, whatever you wish to call it is merely a clump of cells, indeed no nervous system. Those who say it has DNA and a heartbeat forget that all parasites have their own DNA and heartbeat and in the early stages of pregnancy, the fetus is the very essence of a parasite, absolutely unable to live outside of the uterus, much like a liver fluke is unable to live outside of the liver. It is the termination of a pregnancy, not a baby. A termination of what has the POTENTIAL to be a baby, but is not.
EvanK

Con

My opponent has basically taken several talking points, put them in my mouth, then proceeded to refute them, without any references, reasoning, or evidence. Nothing. I will walk through them (the relevant ones, anyway), refute them, and then proceed to give my own arguments.

1- It is not murder, there is no human involved

Care to expound? My opponent simply states there is no human involved, without giving any reason for this. In my arguments, I will show why that is false.

2-It is the termination of a pregnancy, not a baby. A termination of what has the POTENTIAL to be a baby, but is not.

In the second sentence, my opponent is actually correct. The fetus has the potential to be a baby, but is not. A fetus has the potential to be a baby, just like a baby has the potential to be a teenager, and a teenager has the potential to be an adult. That doesn't make the fetus any less human, though. So this argument from my opponent is meaningless, as he has not shown adequately why the fetus is not a human being (aka, homo sapien).

3-There is no life at conception either

Again, my opponent just throws this out there, with nothing to back it up. And is my opponent implying that a human life, a living thing, comes from a non living thing? If there is no life at conception, where does the life come from? You cannot get life from non life, for obvious reasons. If he believes that life can spring up from nonlife, the onus is on him to prove that this can happen. Otherwise, yet another of my opponents arguments in invalid.

I have gone through what I see as the only three arguments that mean anything. The others are simply irrelevant (saying that the parents cannot afford to, contraception failed, etc). You cannot kill your 2 year old child because your household is financially unstabe, can you? No, because the 2 year old is human. If I can show you why the three arguments I highlighted from my opponent are wrong, and that there is a human life involved, then the other arguments from my opponent are irrelevant.

My arguments

In order to show why abortion should be illegal, I must show why the human fetus is, without a doubt, a human being{1}, and alive{2}. I think that it is actually really simple to do so. Afterall, as I said earlier, the fetus has to be living from conception. If it isn't living, then how does it grow into a living thing? You don't see any nonliving thing grow into something alive, do you? So I think it is logical to believe that the fetus in the womb is in fact living.

Since we have established one major point, that the entity in the womb is alive, we have one more point to establish: that the entity is human. Once we establish this, then it should be obvious that abortion is wrong.

My opponent states that "...all parasites have their own DNA and heartbeat...". The DNA is the blueprint for life. It [1]"...encodes the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms...". In other words, your DNA defines what you will be. Human, bear, turtle, spider, etc. So yes, parasites have their own DNA. And their DNA defines what type of parasite they will be. However, this also means that at conception, when the entity is conceived, its DNA defines what it will grow into. So yes, the zygote in the womb, which has DNA, is human because its DNA defines it as human. It will not grow into a horse, it will not grow into a fish, it will not grow into E.Coli. It will continue to grow as a human being, a homo sapien, because that is what its DNA defines it as. Furthermore, the DNA of the entity in the womb is unique{3}. It is not the DNA of the Mother. It is its own, unique DNA, meaning that the entity is in fact an individual organism, that by definition of its DNA, is human. Being an organism, it is also alive.

So, I have shown that, not only is the entity in the womb alive, I have also shown that it is human, due to it having the DNA of a homo sapien. None of my opponent's arguments have stood up to this, and none of them were backed up with any sort of evidence. I think this is an obvious vote for con.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org...;

{1} Alive: having life : not dead or inanimate-http://www.merriam-webster.com...;

{2} Human: a bipedal primate mammal (Homo sapiens)-http://www.merriam-webster.com...

{3} Unique: being without a like or equal-http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Paperxperson1

Pro

Paperxperson1 forfeited this round.
EvanK

Con

My opponent FFs, my arguments carry over.
Paperxperson1

Pro

Paperxperson1 forfeited this round.
EvanK

Con

Yet another FF. Arguments carry over.
Paperxperson1

Pro

Paperxperson1 forfeited this round.
EvanK

Con

anytime now....
Paperxperson1

Pro

Paperxperson1 forfeited this round.
EvanK

Con

Well this was a waste of time...
Posted by EvanK 3 years ago
EvanK
I'll post my argument in a few hours.