PenelopeGrammer
Encantado

Abortion

PenelopeGrammer

PenelopeGrammer

Con

Abortion. One of the most controversial topics in the 1970s is still burning with rage right now. The spark of the flame was the "Roe vs. Wade" court case in 1973. Roe was a single woman who was pregnant with a baby. Living in Texas, she could not abort the baby because all abortion laws made it illegal to have the abortion in her case. Roe then challenged the law to let her have the abortion. Roe ended up winning and making abortion legal in many states. The Partial Birth Abortion ban act was the most resent event that helped keep the fire alive. The Partial Birth Abortion ban act was put into law in 2003, forbidding the abortion of babies who are half born before they are killed by brain suction. This inhumane and sick way of abortion was made illegal for that very reason. I am pro-life. I think that no baby should have their future taken away from them before they even begin to see it. Although the mother may not have enough money for the baby, abortion should be illegal because the doctors take the Hippocratic Oath and the mothers have alternatives to aborting the baby, such as adoption.
Even though I completely disagree with abortions, I am still respectful of some opinions. Survey says that the second most common reason for abortion is the incapability to care for the child financially. They say that if the baby were to be born, they wouldn"t be able to provide for the baby in the right manner. This is understandable on account of babies can be expensive. You have to feed them, clothe them, bathe them, and everything in between, thus making children stressful emotionally and financially.
Even if the child is expensive, the mother has the choice to put the baby up for adoption. With 9.9 million women in 1988 looking to adopt, there is never a word for an "unwanted child". All of these people are looking to give the life that the infant deserves and you are just giving your baby back to God? Orphanages can always find a home for a newborn. When you are looking for a new dog, are you going to go for the 9 year old poodle that can"t see, or are you going to choose a golden retriever puppy with a bucketful of energy? I don"t know about you, but I would choose the puppy! Adoption is a cheap and simple alternative to abortions and you keep a heart beating.
Dup-lup, duup-luup, duuup-luuup,duuuup" That"s the sound of a small heart going out. This particular one was aborted by its mother. Well, more correctly, the doctor. That same doctor that was in collage for 7 years to get his masters degree, who helped the countless patients that entrusted him with their lives, that same doctor that took the Hippocratic Oath to never hurt or kill a human being, is not injecting your side with poison to destroy a human life. The Oath states, and I quote, "I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice". Doesn"t that say "I will never hurt somebody"? When that poison hits the womb, it kills the baby in a terrible way. The poison enters the baby"s bloodstream and creeps down to every inch of its body killing all life in the body. Is that what we have turned into; Heartless criminals that kill innocent children for the benefit of ourselves? This is not the way life should be. Doctors should be here to help us, not hurt our children.
Abortion should not be legal. It is a heartless and inhumane practice that gives up lives of our next president, doctor, or philosopher. One of my favorite quotes is from Ronald Regan where he says "I"ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born". You weren"t aborted, why should anyone else be? It"s really sad. We have a harder time giving our children to a baby-sitter for a few hours, than giving our babies up forever. We need to stop the madness. End abortion now.
Encantado

Pro

My worthy opponent first I must appreciate your point of view and how you used emotion as an instrument of your debate at many places like this one "Dup-lup, duup-luup, duuup-luuup,duuuup" That"s the sound of a small heart going out. This particular one was aborted by its mother."[Quote by my worthy opponent] Unlike your side I will base all my arguments on hard facts and at the end mention the sources of Data and argument in a bibliography. And the same is expected from you.
Abortion. First of all abortion is a necessity of any modern society and its first records date back as far as Egyptian Ebers Papyrus in 1550 BCE. Though the methods have changed a lot since then. Its legality can depend on specific conditions such as incest, rape, fetal defects, sex-selective abortion, socioeconomic factors or the mother's health being at risk. I believe we have no dissimilarity over an abortion done due to incest, rape, fetal defects or mother"s health being at risk. And I state clearly that I am against "sex-selective abortion" too. So I will move straight to socioeconomic factors which is considered as heartless by my worthy opponent. On the ground that the child born could be left at a orphanage or could be kept up for adoption. Rather than aborting it. I ask you a very simple question if you were given with an opportunity of saving either a seed or a tree. Which one will you save ? Of course a tree it will be ! I beg your pardon if you differ. My point is in 2011, 6.9 million children under five died, out of which 2.6 million deaths of children were due to mal nourishment. 135 million births took place in the fiscal year 2011 that is almost for every 20 children born 1 died. Almost 48 million abortions took place. That is we saved 2 million four hundred thousand who were already born by opting for abortion. Abortion is a bad thing I agree completely my with my worthy opponent but right now we must look for the greater good. First we must take care of the children who are already born there is no point to a bring a child into this world and make him suffer. "That doctor that was in collage for 7 years to get his masters degree, who helped the countless patients that entrusted him with their lives, that same doctor that took the Hippocratic Oath to never hurt or kill a human being, is not injecting your side with poison to destroy a human life. The Oath states, and I quote, "I will apply dietetic measures for the benefit of the sick according to my ability and judgment; I will keep them from harm and injustice". Doesn"t that say "I will never hurt somebody"?" [Quote by my worthy opponent]. Sometimes abortions have to be made due to risk to the mother"s life similarly socioeconomic abortions have to be made to save the life of children who are already born. I ask you will it be fair for 2 million+ children to suffer and die who are already in this world ? So that we can bring new life. The amount of resources spend on new born can be easily diverted to save the life of these innocent 2 million.
With 9.9 million women in 1988 looking to adopt, there is never a word for an "unwanted child".[Quote by my worthy opponent]. First of all a citation from 1988 is very old and secondly upon doing some research upon it I found out 9.9 million people considered adoption out of which 31% really adopted i.e 3069000 people adopted which is way less than the 2 million innocent deaths.
Abortion is a necessary evil. We must first protect what we already have. There is no point crowding when we do not have sufficient resources to offer.
I hope I have made my point clear. And lastly I would like to beg your pardon if any errors have crept into my argument as the details mentions here are correct to the best of my knowledge.
Bibliography:
Mother of all: GOOGLE
http://www.acf.hhs.gov...
http://www.worldometers.info...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Some data had to be manually calculated by me.
Regards ,
Encantado
PenelopeGrammer

Con

I must point out, before I begin, there would not be any debates in this World if we each didn't have an opinion fueled by emotion. You can't debate about cold hard facts, such as, these words are black. However, I will grant your wish for more research on my part, with *reliable* resources.
Has anyone heard of Dr. Kermit Gosnell? He is an abortion doctor in Pennsylvania that is currently being charged for 8 murders. What does this have to do with anything? Well, seven of the murders were babies that were aborted. He "induced labor, forced the live birth of viable babies in the sixth, seventh, eighth month of pregnancy and then killed those babies by cutting into the back of the neck with scissors and severing their spinal cord," District Attorney Seth Williams said. You may say, this isn't the type of abortion we were talking about. But I say, abortion is abortion is abortion. There is no difference in the stage of development it is in. If a person is 60 years old, it's considered murder. If a person is 4 years old, it is consisted murder. If the person is 6 months in the womb, it is still murder and as you see now, people are being prosecuted with the cases.
"Sometimes abortions have to be made due to risk to the mother"s life similarly socioeconomic abortions have to be made to save the life of children who are already born. I ask you will it be fair for 2 million+ children to suffer and die who are already in this world ? So that we can bring new life. The amount of resources spend on new born can be easily diverted to save the life of these innocent 2 million." (a quote from my reputed opponent) We do need to protect life, not by killing its almost born. It is still stopping the beating heart of a person, which is NOT saving people. In face, it is doing the opposite. People want and need to reproduce. Since the abortion numbers are rocketing, what are we going to do when people just have the baby? Do we still keep what we have then? We will have missed an entire generation. An entire generation of presidents, and doctors.
Since the legalization of abortion in 1973, there have been approximately 50 million abortions performed in the United States. About 23% of all pregnancies end in abortion. There were 1.21 million abortions in 2005 compared to 4.14 million live births. Research indicates that 98% of all abortions are related to issues of "personal choice." The primary reasons women give for having an abortion include not feeling emotionally capable (32%) or financially capable (25%) of raising a child, and concern that having a child would drastically alter her life (16%). A 2000-2001 study by the Guttmacher Institute also found that about half of women having abortions had been using contraception during the month they became pregnant; 16.9% of women claimed their contraceptives failed despite proper use.

Many people in the pro-choice field say that 'Pro-life people are just religious that think life begins at the moment the sperm meets the egg. If America wasn't a religious country, why does our Pledge of Allegiance state "...one nation Under God..."? Why do our coins say "In God we trust"? Life begins at one cell. That's all it needs. If we found a single cell on Mars, we would consider it life. Why isn't it the same for a fetus in a human body?
"I've noticed that all of the people who are for abortion have already been born" Ronald Reagan (21 September 1980). I have personally noticed that all of the debates on abortion that have been debated on debate.org have the people that are for abortion that are winning. All of the abortion debates are winning in the pro side of abortion. Just because everyone is voting for the pro-side, doesn't mean that its right. I DARE YOU. Before you hit that vote button, to really think about the Hippocratic side to the pro-choice decision. You were born. Your mother didn't abort you, why abort the one who will call you 'mommy' or 'daddy' in the future. I dare you.

Bibliography
http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
http://www.guttmacher.org...
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net...
http://www.guttmacher.org...
http://www.johnstonsarchive.net...
Encantado

Pro

Encantado forfeited this round.
PenelopeGrammer

Con

This round should be short and sweet along with repetitive about what you previously said, according to official debate orders. Abortion should be illegal because if the brutality and inhumane actions taken to have an abortion. The hypocritical oath and the fact that alternatives are available. People are being prosecuted for performing an abortion and are being charged with murder. Even though we need to protect what we have here, we need to reproduce and repopulate the next generation. You shouldn't be hypocritical about how people would abort children since you weren't aborted yourself. Voters, who did a better job? Are you more swayed one way of another because of your non-bias answer? Please, step out of your box of opinion. I dare you.
Encantado

Pro

Encantado forfeited this round.
Posted by chris644 3 years ago
chris644
Correction, the bottom comment* apologies
Posted by chris644 3 years ago
chris644
Very interesting debate, both sides are getting some solid points across, but I must say, the above comment is my personal favorite. It almost requisites the tagline "from the producers of Alien".
Posted by djamin.seery 3 years ago
djamin.seery
in my opinion abortion is a womens choice, I noticed FOR actually doesn't believe in abortion and id like to refute them, I believe if it cant live outside the womb it is not a human being, the earliest premature baby that survived with no health risks was a 24 week old baby therefore how can it be a human being at the 12 week mark if it cant even breath oxygen or have a properly formed heart, lungs, liver, digestive system etc., it cant, which is why before the 12 week mark it is not a child it is basically a parasite which is why we get morning sickness and its easier to have a miscarriage, when a person gets cancer we have the right to seek treatment or to not, an abortion is just a treatment to an unwanted cell change in women's bodies, (I am saying that all of what I am saying is before the 12 week mark). no lets move onto the socially acceptable aspects, if a women is raped and falls pregnant is she expected to keep the embryo?? NO WAY.... it is 100% unfair to ask a women who has been through one of the worst trauma imaginable to go through another in 9 months, not to mention have it staring her in the face for at least that amount of time. If a women is not financially or mentally sound to have a baby why would you ask her to put herself through the emotional turmoil of carrying a child to full term then giving it up for adoption just like that. Abortion is a good idea because before 12 weeks it is not a baby as it cannot live outside the womb therefore you are aborting a bunch of unwanted cells and not ruining your life if you aren't ready for a baby
Posted by Mandavb515 3 years ago
Mandavb515
Abortion should be the persons choice. It is there body and they should be able to decide what they do with it.
Posted by StevenDixon 3 years ago
StevenDixon
"I don"t know about you, but I would choose the puppy! Adoption is a cheap and simple alternative to abortions and you keep a heart beating."

I don't think the woman that's carrying it around for 9 months before it explodes out of her vagina while racking up hospital bills considers it cheap.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
PenelopeGrammerEncantadoTied