DdragonNHS
sbriggsnhs

Abortion

DdragonNHS

Pro

Abortion is a personal and meaningful decision. Any woman who becomes pregnant should have the right to choose whether or not she wants to abort the fetus or keep it. Having abortion legal provides not only an option for woman to choose from, but a variety of options for women to choose from whether it is asking for help from a "pregnancy consultation" or seeking different methods and ways to deal with the unexpected pregnancy. Abortion clinics provide support services, doctor refferals, and financial assistance for women seeking help.
sbriggsnhs

Con

I agree that abortion is a personal and meaningful decision. But there are many strategies to prevent pregnancy and I do not believe that abortion should be allowed. As mentioned on StudentNewsDaily.com in the article "Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs", it is said that "An unborn baby, as a living human being, has separate rights of those of the mother." The personal rights of the unborn baby are maliciously crossed when an abortion is taking place. Another fact shown in "Conservative vs. Liberal Beliefs" says, "Taxpayer dollars should not be used for the government to provide abortions", which I completely agree with. If a woman makes the decision to do unprotected sexual actions, I believe that she should receive all responsibility and pay for all costs that come with the abortion.
DdragonNHS

Pro

DdragonNHS forfeited this round.
sbriggsnhs

Con

sbriggsnhs forfeited this round.
DdragonNHS

Pro

DdragonNHS forfeited this round.
sbriggsnhs

Con

sbriggsnhs forfeited this round.
DdragonNHS

Pro

I do believe that if a woman chooses to take part in a non protected sexual action she should take all responsibility. However if a women chooses not to, or if a woman were to be sexually violated I believe that she should have the right to choose whether she wants to keep or terminate the fetus. Abortion ProCon.org, a nonpartisan, nonprofit website that presents facts and studies about abortion states that, " Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy, not a baby. Personhood at conception is not a proven biological fact." An abortion is not the killing of a baby, but the removal of a fetus that is unborn only in its early developing stages. Isn't birth control the disruption of a possible life too? If a woman takes birth control, a pill that disrupts the natural menstrual cycle mainly by stopping ovulation, wouldn't that be considered the killing or " elimination" of a possible life? "The birth control pill is designed to disrupt this natural process" so why isn't birth control illegal, it is preventing the creation of a possible life as well. As well as birth control, the "Plan B" pill is one of the most commonly used contraceptive methods, used the morning after, or days after, sexual intercourse. Mayo Clinic states that the Plan B pill "Works by preventing the release of an egg from the ovary or preventing fertilization of the egg by sperm (male reproductive cells). It also may work by changing the lining of the uterus (womb) to prevent development of a pregnancy." If a woman has the right to take pills that are meant to disrupt the process of a life beginning, shouldn't she have the right to a procedure (however more costly) to do the same?
sbriggsnhs

Con

Although I agree with your argument that a woman who is sexually violated should have the right to choose what she wants to do, I do not believe that all woman should have the right to abortion. To have an abortion take place, I believe that only woman who have been sexually violated should have this option. Also, in an article called "Personhood' Amendments a New Tack in Abortion fight", Erick Eckholm says, "A constitutional amendment facing voters in Mississippi on Nov. 8, and similar initiatives brewing in half a dozen other states including Florida and Ohio, would declare a fertilized human egg to be a legal person, effectively branding abortion and some forms of birth control as murder". If a fertilized human egg is considered a legal person, that means that that unborn baby has the same rights as any other human being. So abortion, in my opinion is technically illegal. Also, I agree with your other argument about the birth control pills and other effective ways of preventing pregnancy, but by taking these, you are not actually killing an unborn baby. You are preventing the chances of getting pregnant. Abortion is needed when a woman already has a growing fetus in her body and wants to get rid of it, which is murder.
DdragonNHS

Pro

DdragonNHS forfeited this round.
sbriggsnhs

Con

sbriggsnhs forfeited this round.