Abortion involves terminating a pregnancy by the removing or expelling of a fetus or embryo from the uterus. This is sometimes due to the death of the fetus; however, it can also result in the death of it. Abortion is a very controversial topic because its frequency of occurrence, legal, cultural and religious status varies extensively in different regions of the world. There are many high-profile groups that champion either pro-choice or pro-life, and such organizations bring up a host of issues to further their often political agenda. In the United States, pro-life groups favor greater legal restrictions on abortion, or even the complete prohibition of it. They argue that a human fetus is a human being with a right to live, so abortion is similar to murder. In contrast, pro-choice groups argue that a woman has certain reproductive rights, especially the choice on whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term.

One of the most common reasons why some women want to have an abortion is because they have the desire to delay childbearing because they themselves are young. Other reasons include not wanting to stop work or schooling and/or because of financial or relationship instability. These reasons are consistent across numerous countries, including America. Most abortions that occur in the United States are obtained by women of a minority race because they are having higher incidences of unintended pregnancies. In developing countries, women have the additional concern of health risks and complications that occur as a result of unsafe practices in medical settings.

Some abortions happen because of societal pressures. This occurs to when there is little social support, when a specific gender of a child is preferred or when governments enforce population control, such as China's one child policy. It is suggested that sex-selective abortion could account for disparities between the birth rates of male and female children in some countries. Many countries in Asia like China, South Korea and India have cultures that prefer male children.

When abortion occurs because of societal pressures, women sometimes have to resort to unsafe practices because the legalized healthcare route is not an option. As a result, countries that have restrictive abortive laws have more women that seek unsafe abortions. Unsafe abortions occur when they are performed by individuals without adequate medical skills or in an unhygienic environment. Such situations occur globally, and result in about 70,000 maternal deaths and 5 million maternal disabilities per year.

Currently, laws regarding abortion are diverse and differ by states in the U.S. Some states have a 24-hour waiting period before an abortion can be carried out and require that information regarding fetal development is given out. The abortion debate also focuses on whether laws should be passed mandating that the pregnant woman has the consent of others, especially if the woman is a minor.

I thank my opponent for this debate challenge. This is my first time participating in a debate, so please advise me on any proprieties I fail to adhere to.

As Pro, I will be debating in favour of abortion.

Regarding the rights of the fetus

Abortion is controversial in our society because some believe that abortion disrespects and violates the fetus' right to live - yet it is commonly acceptable in society to slaughter animals for one's own gain and benefit. Some argue that a fetus is a human being and thus should be considered in a different respect from animals. However, a fetus in the womb has no experience in living nor any knowledge; it does not possess will beyond basic survival instincts as an animal. A human fetus is incapable of even experiencing the sensation of pain before 18 weeks []. As humans, we consider ourselves tertiary and 'intelligent' beings because of our ability to comprehend complex ideas. A fetus has no such capability and so should be considered a life form that is similar in social status, if not inferior, to other animals.

The benefits of abortion to the mother

Usually a mother has a rational reason for wanting to abort a child. Common reasons include financial incapabilities, social opposition, concern to physical health or just simply unwillingness. No one has the right to tell a mother, "Your reason for wanting to abort is invalid." Abortion is a choice to no one else but the mother. It is the mother that must go through the pain of labour to bear the child. It is the mother that must take on the responsibility to care for it. Abortion relieves the mother of this burden. Forcefully burdening the mother with a responsibility that she doesn't want or have the capability to fulfil is unethical and could be potentially harmful to many more people than simply the fetus - for example crushing a family's financial capabilities.

I have presented my points, and shown that the benefits of abortion outweigh the detriments. I await my opponent's response.

judinmathews forfeited this round.

I would like to extend my arguments from Round #1. I thank my opponent for the chance to debate this topic.
Vote Placed by LtCmdrData 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Yo' man, forfeits aren't cool...Points to Pro.