Logicismyweapon
Peccantium

Abortion

Peccantium

Logicismyweapon

Pro

I'm not "Pro-abortion" or "Pro-murder" as some of you call it. I am simply Pro-choice. I do not feel it is fair to have an abortion due to someones carelessness and ignorance. However, there are understandable and excusable reasons for a woman to have an abortion. It is never a happy choice for a woman to have to make but I believe it should be legal for the women who feel it is absolutely necessary.
There are many unfair circumstances in which a woman could get pregnant. Rape, for instance. 89,000 is the average number of rape cases reported in the U.S. annually. So many women experience rape and it would be such a hard thing to go through if a woman had a child as a result of rape. Pro-lifers argue that the woman can give the baby up for adoption if she had gotten pregnant as a result of rape. So you're saying that if a woman were raped, she is forced to carry an unwanted child for 9 months and is forced to go through childbirth as a sharp reminder of the violence that was acted upon her? And once that baby is born, if she gives it up for adoption, that baby will grow up knowing its father was a rapist, not to mention that there are so many unwanted children up for adoption that no one will adopt. Those kids spend time in orphanages waiting for parents. Would it be fair to bring another depressed child into the world that may never have a family?
Besides rape, what if the woman found out she could die due to giving birth? Should she have a baby she wouldn't be able to parent, nor meet in the first place? Each year in the U.S., about 700 women die of pregnancy- related complications and 52,000 experience emergencies such as acute renal failure, shock, respiratory distress, aneurysms and heart surgery. What if the baby will have a life affecting disorder that would cause the human to grow up with physical and emotional pain its whole life? It could be humane to have an abortion in those cases.
Do you believe abortion is murder? According to Mark Rosen, an obstetrical anesthesiologist at the University of California, fetuses cannot feel pain until at least the 28th week of gestation because they haven't developed the necessary nerve pathways. Abortions are done before this point. Abortion isn't murder because until there is a mature nervous system, there's no conscious person, just a potential consciousness (a clump of cells). If you believe that a "soul" enters the embryo, then I understand why you would think it is murder, but I wouldn't base my argument off of religion if I were you.
To rap this up, abortion should be available to women. There are so many factors such as birth complications and unfair circumstances that would make it extremely unfair, and a violation to her rights, to have that unwanted child.
Peccantium

Con

Your Pro-choice? How come that baby doesn't get a choice? How come it doesn't get a choice to have life? How come it doesn't get to choose if it would rather live without a family or not live at all? That baby couldn't help that it's mom was raped, just as much as it's mom couldn't help being a victim of rape. I know it is terrible that women are raped and have to have a child against their will, but in the end, that is better than killing a potential human being. Childbirth will be a "sharp reminder" that she was raped? Really? Should we kill everything else that reminds her of that terrible experience?
I will briefly look at it from a religious standpoint (Christian). However I will keep it brief because my opponent has clearly stated he does not want this as a huge part of this debate. Abortion of any kind is sinful for many reasons. First, it is murder of a fetus, which is a developing human baby. Just because it can not feel pain does not mean it is not murder. Secondly, we are then essentially "playing God". We are choosing who will be born and who wont. We are keeping humans from entering this world at our own will.
Okay, so my final argument for this round is this: if I killed a baby I would be a murderer and would pay legal consequences. What is the difference?
Logicismyweapon

Pro

Logicismyweapon forfeited this round.
Peccantium

Con

My opponent forfeited that round, so I will use my turn this round to debate one of the comments left on this page. The comment was by letters4liz.
1. "Abortions are 'sinful' to Christians. Like drinking is sinful to a lot of other religions. Should we make drinking illegal?"
I never said abortions should be illegal because Christians thought it was sinful. Killing people is illegal, so abortions should be. I used religion as only a small part of my argument.
2. "There have been a reported 112 million incidents of drinking and driving in the US for one year.... So with this logic, alcohol should be illegal,...."
The alcohol is not killing all of those people, the drunk driver is, and drunk driving IS illegal. That would be like me arguing that we should make injections illegal because they are used to give abortions. But that is not what I am arguing, so your argument is invalid.
3. "Plus, getting an abortion rids a woman of an undeveloped fetus. A blob, basically. At least they look like one."
It does not matter that the baby may just be a blob at the time. It has the potential of being a human being, it will grow up to be a human. Its DNA is there. That baby would grow up, it would meet people, It might have friends, go to school, get a job. But people like you do not care just because it looks like a blob, and hasn't had a chance to develop its mind yet. And it is only just a blob in early abortions. You have to realize people have late abortions, when the baby has been further developed.
4. "Its also been proven that countries where abortion has been legalized, crime rates decrease."
That does not mean it is OK to do it. Legalizing the killing of people with mental problems would decrease crime rates, so does that make it OK? No of course not.
5. "Plus there will be less kids in orphanages who have to go everyday of their lives not knowing what its like to have a family and to be loved."
And so instead they will never know what it is like to be alive. We take their lives from them, and then say its fine because their life probably would have been sad anyway. Some of them would get adopted. And some would rather be without a family than not exist. It is not our right to destroy the life ahead of them.
Logicismyweapon

Pro

Logicismyweapon forfeited this round.
Peccantium

Con

Abortions are cruel. Just because that baby does not look human, does not mean its worthless. It is a human developing, and it cant help its mom was raped. Think about it, if your mom had been raped, and got an abortion, you may have never existed. I would not be debating this with you right now because you would have been killed as a fetus. The fetus that would be you has genes and DNA just like you and me. It would grow up to be a human like you and me. It would grow up to be you. But it is killed before birth. It is killed because its mom was raped, and did not think she should have been forced to have a baby. But the baby is forced to die. But society doesn't care. They say it is OK because it just looks like a blob of flesh and it doesn't have a fully developed brain yet.
Logicismyweapon

Pro

Logicismyweapon forfeited this round.
Peccantium

Con

Well, this was not much of a debate, as my opponent has been inactive. But I had a chance to state my opinion on abortions.
Posted by letters4liz 2 years ago
letters4liz
I would just like to throw this out there:
Abortions are "sinful" to Christians. Like drinking is sinful to a lot of other religions. Should we make drinking illegal? There have been a reported 112 million incidents of drinking and driving in the US for one year, by ADULTS alone. (According to the MADD statistics collected from Traffic Control Center and the CDC) In the US, theres an average of 1.2 1 million abortions year. (According to the Guttmacher Institute)

So with this logic, alcohol should be illegal, forget abortions. Plus, getting an abortion rids a woman of an undeveloped fetus. A blob, basically. At least they look like one. Anyways, a drunk driver can kill multiple people in one accident. Including themselves, passengers in there cars, other people in cars and innocent bystanders. An abortion kills this tiny human blob. And each person who has died in a drunk driving related accident has family and friends who know them and will mourn and might never be the same again. Depression from losing a loved one could lead to suicide or suicidal thoughts.
Its also been proven that countries where abortion has been legalized, crime rates decrease. Plus there will be less kids in orphanages who have to go everyday of their lives not knowing what its like to have a family and to be loved.
Morals shouldn't be a factor in this. Everyone has different morals, and opinions. In this case their really is no right or wrong. It's not our business to decide for the mother. Some might say its our job to protect the fetus from getting aborted, to allow it to live. Well are you also going to check up this baby every hour of every day to make sure its getting the care it needs? To make sure its not getting abused? Just dumping a child in either a hostile environment or an orphanage doesn't make up for the fact that "They're living".
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
LogicismyweaponPeccantiumTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited. Con wins arguments and conduct.