adrianajones
Raymond_Reddington

Abortion

Raymond_Reddington

adrianajones

Con

1st round is for acceptance.
2nd round is for main points.
3rd and 4th rounds are for rebuttal.
5th round is for closing arguments and any last rebuttal points.
adrianajones

Con

I would just like to start of by saying thank you to pro for accepting my challenge, I look forward to hearing your arguments. I would also like to say that this is my first time on this website, so bear with me!

Abortion was legalized in 1973 due to Roe v. Wade, and since then over 56 million unborn children have been killed. That means that every hour, 155 babies are aborted, and approximately 1 child is aborted every 2.6 seconds. [1]

Life begins at conception. In most cases, a man and a woman choose to engage in sexual intercourse fully aware of the consequences that could arise. Hence, they should make sure to take the proper steps to avoid any consequence, for example by using contraception. Abortion however, should not be used as a form of contraception. Abortion is not a

Now how about if the man and woman who engage in sexual intercourse truly take the proper precautions, but the woman still ends up pregnant, but doesn't want the child? First of all, it is common knowledge that babies are made through sexual intercourse, so if the woman or man do not want a baby, then they should refrain from sexual intercourse.
Second of all, adoption is always an alternative. With approximately 1.5 million American families wanting to adopt a child [2], there is no such thing as an unwanted child.

Moving on to teenagers who merely have sexual intercourse for fun, and get pregnant, and because they feel that they are not old enough, get an abortion. If you feel that you are not old enough to have a child and provide for that child, then you should not be having sexual intercourse " plain and simple.

It is commonly argued that women should have control over their own body, and choose what happens to their body. I completely agree. However, if women truly want control over their body, then that includes preventing themselves from an unwanted pregnancy, by taking the proper precautions or practicing abstinence.

Moving on to women or girls who get pregnant through rape or incest. This is different, as they do not choose to engage in sexual intercourse, but are instead forced to. However, abortion punished the unborn innocent child, who has done absolutely nothing wrong. It is the perpetrator who should be punished, not the child. Again, adoption is a viable option. (I would just like to take moment to say that I do not believe rape is ever the woman or girls fault. I wholeheartedly believe that it is the perpetrators fault)

Abortion can also result in medical complications. For example, abortions doubles the risk of ectopic pregnancies, and the chances of a miscarriage and pelvic inflammatory disease also increases. In addition, undergoing an abortion will most likely result in intense psychological pain and stress. [2]

Human life is precious, and seeing as life begins at conception, these unborn babies are human beings with a right to life. These unborn babies have done nothing to hurt anyone, so punishing them due to the fact that perhaps a woman choose to engage in sexual intercourse without taking the proper precautions is plain unjust and unethical. Hence, abortion should be illegal.

Now, I could go on and on about the dangers of abortion, how abortion goes against what it says in the bible, how abortion is murder, or even how it has been proved that fetuses feel pain during an abortion procedure " but I am going to leave it at that.

[1] http://www.tfpstudentaction.org...

[2] http://womensissues.about.com...
Raymond_Reddington

Pro

Thanks for the strong opening arguments Con. Before I start I will point out that since Con is against abortion this implies ALL abortions. Therefore if even any abortions are justified I win the debate.

1. Right to Privacy
The US Supreme Court came to the decision in the Roe V. Wade case that the right to privacy granted in the constitution encompasses abortions. This is because of a variety of reasons, but one of the biggest is that each situation is unique. One family may not have an adequate enough financial situation to be able to adequately care for a child while another teenage girl may end up being disowned by her family if she has that child. The point is that the government making the decision for all women that they cannot have abortions is severely limiting and a refusal to acknowledge that a family should be able to make the choice that best fits their personal situation. Sandra Day O'Connor claimed that "The ability of women to participate equally in the economic and social life of the Nation has been facilitated by their ability to control their reproductive lives." [1] Legalizing abortion has helped women fully recognize their right to privacy.

2. Life Does Not Begin at Conception
Science supports the idea that personhood begins at the time of viability, or the ability to survive outside the womb. [2][3] The constitution grants rights to all people born in the US. A fetus is not born, and not a person. Abortion is terminating a pregnancy and calling it murder is an incredible flaw in reasoning. A large amount of pregnancies actually naturally abort but there is no uproar to try and save all of those fertilized eggs. Those that say life begins at conception often claim that because the potential of a human has been achieved, aborting the pregnancy is akin to murder. By that logic we should also attempt to save individual sperm and eggs as well, in order to preserve the potential for human life. We don't hear those arguments because life is defined by development of the brain. The same situation is seen in euthanasia. Justification for that exists and the US has legalized it for good reason.

3. Abortion Happens Either Way
Making abortion illegal would lead to a large amount of unsafe back-alley abortions. It has happened repeatedly in the past and resulted in the deaths of many women due to a lack of safe equipment and medicines. Outlawing abortion WILL NOT STOP IT. It will only endanger the lives of many women who feel they have no other options. Many women feel that abortion is their only option, and when we as a nation give them no other alternative other than doing it illegally, then we as a nation are responsible for those girls' horrific injuries and deaths.

4. Mother's Life
Many times, refusing to abort a pregnancy would result in the death of the mother. It is very subjective whether or not the fetus is alive, but no one can deny that the woman is alive and has the right to self defense. There are two options in that situation. Allow the mother to die, which is not even subjectively murder, or terminate the pregnancy as is naturally done all the time. Outlawing abortion simply puts a subjective life over a life that everyone agrees exists.

The key issue with abortion is that it should be a personal decision; the government does not have enough knowledge of an individual's unique situation to make the determination that a woman's choice is morally wrong and should be made illegal. It has been found time and time again in court that telling a woman she does not have the right to terminate her pregnancy is wrong.
[1] Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania et al. v. Casey, Governor of Pennsylvania, et al., law.cornell.edu, June 29, 1992
[2] Franklin Foer, "Fetal Viability," slate.com, May 25, 1997
[3] James Davison Hunter, Before the Shooting Begins: Searching for Democracy in America's Culture War, 1994
adrianajones

Con

adrianajones forfeited this round.
Raymond_Reddington

Pro

I forgot to say this last round, but welcome to DDO Con. I wish you many successful debates on this website.

I don't have much time so I'll keep my rebuttals brief. Con's first argument about the number of abortions is irrelevant until evidence is provided that they are "unborn children" rather than just a fetus. Con also say that life begins at conception, but since no evidence is provided to support this, and I have provided evidence that contradicts it, there is no reason to believe this statement.

Your argument that man and woman should not engage in intercourse unless they want a child is absurd. What if a couple only wants one child and the woman ends up getting pregnant in her mid twenties. No form of contraception is 100% effective. Is con proposing that the couple cease intercourse for the rest of their marriage? What about before a couple is prepared for a child? What about in the case of rape.
In response to the adoption alternative I found statistics of in adopted children. "Each year more than 20,000 children age out of the foster care without being adopted. Today there are 104,000 children in foster care waiting to be adopted ranging in age from less than a year old to 21." [1] Not only that but children are discriminated against in the adoption system. About 48% of unadopted children are Caucasian [1]. Is this because more Caucasian babies are put up for adoption? Of course not. Parents are selective when adopting.

As for preventing teenagers from having intercourse through abstinence, all I will say is it doesn't work. The teen pregnancy rates are highest in states with abstinence only education [2]. The argument about women having more control of there bodies by practicing abstinence is absurd (I agree with the use of contraception but again it doesn't always work). Not only are you limiting their freedom by telling them to be abstinent, but telling woman to be abstinate rather than be able to have an abortion is saying that- instead of giving you option A (abstinence) and option B (abortion) the government will outlaw option B. Only being able to exercise option A (abstinence) will force you to have more discipline, ergo have more control over your body. This is using the definition of discipline for control. Realistically a more proper synonym for control in this situation is FREEDOM. Con's next argument addresses the next argument to rape/incest by saying why punish an unborn child? First of all Con has not proven it is a life already. Secondly it is no more punishing of the fertilized egg than men and women punish their individual sperm and eggs by not allowing them all to connect to one of their opposites and grow into a human. Is it punishing them to not let them have a life? All sperm and eggs are potential humans, so why is there no movement to preserve them? Shouldn't all of my sperm have an equal right to life? This is clearly absurd and needs no explanation.

Con's argument that abortion is dangerous is largely untrue. There are rarely complications and any complications are usually minor. Abortion is less dangerous than childbirth [3][4][5][6][7]

Bible argument: irrelevant, I'm not a Christian

Murder argument: Con gave no evidence while there is significant evidence to the contrary.

Pain argument: Firstly it doesn't make the fetus a human life, second it has NOT been proven.

Conclusion: BoP is on Con here since she wants to make all abortions illegal. The lack of evidence alone should be enough but I have given strong arguments and rebuttals in favor of abortion.
Back to you Con!
[1] http://adoptuskids.org...
[2]http://thinkprogress.org...
[3]http://womenscareclinic.ca...
[4]http://thelifecenter.publishpath.com...
[5]https://www.prochoice.org...
[6]http://mobile.reuters.com...
[7]http://healthland.time.com...
adrianajones

Con

I believe that Pro and I have agreed to continue this debate another time, as I for one am not able to give my full attention to this debate. As I previously mentioned, this was my first ever debate, hence I did not realize that 24 hours was in fact quite a short time period to post an argument.
I apologize, but I would definitely like to take this debate up again, because I believe that Pro made a lot of interesting points that I would like to discuss and expand on.
adrianajones

Con

adrianajones forfeited this round.
Posted by nicraM 2 years ago
nicraM
I'll be honest. I am still for abortion. But, your stances are well worded and moderately compelling.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Let me know when you're done and I'll vote on this for you.
Posted by adrianajones 2 years ago
adrianajones
I am arguing against abortion, and will be arguing that abortion is in fact inhumane.
The contender should be arguing for abortion, in other words that abortion is humane.
Posted by Jjjohn 2 years ago
Jjjohn
you haven't stated what the argument should be about. the word abortion, by itself, isn't a position in an argument.
Vote Placed by dairygirl4u2c 2 years ago
dairygirl4u2c
adrianajonesRaymond_ReddingtonTied
Reasons for voting decision: .
Vote Placed by ChadIrvin 2 years ago
ChadIrvin
adrianajonesRaymond_ReddingtonTied
Reasons for voting decision: I hate to vote for pro abortion, but con made no real arguments after the second round, so pro wins.
Vote Placed by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
adrianajonesRaymond_ReddingtonTied
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
adrianajonesRaymond_ReddingtonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Ajab 2 years ago
Ajab
adrianajonesRaymond_ReddingtonTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF = finger fish
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
adrianajonesRaymond_ReddingtonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited.