Najaha
YaHey

Abortion

YaHey

Najaha

Con

I feel everyone should be given the opportunity to live and abortion is taking away that opportunity from little unborn children.
YaHey

Pro

First I would like to thank you for the opportunity of having this debate. This is my first on the site, so I hope my skills aren't too out of tune.

R1: If the problem with abortion is that it takes away a fetus' opportunity of life, then men masturbating should also be illegal, since every sperm is the opportunity of life. If you apply this idea broadly enough, then you could also say that every time a woman ovulates and is not getting pregnant is the opportunity for a child, and not getting pregnant during ovulation is illegal as well.

C1: I think this conversation will have to tackle whether or not a fetus is a human life, rather than the possibility of a human life. I think a good analogy for this is we do not consider chicken eggs to be chickens. While the development of the brain begins in the first few weeks, the fetus doesn't even feel pain until the 28th. "Fetuses cannot feel pain until at least the 28th week of gestation because they haven't formed the necessary nerve pathways, says Mark Rosen, an obstetrical anesthesiologist at the University of California at San Francisco."

http://discovermagazine.com...

C2: Even if the fetus is a human being, it still doesn't get the right to live off the mother. If a person needs one of your kidneys to live, you are at no obligation to do so, even if this person was your child. So instead of giving the fetus the same rights as adult human beings, you are actually instigating we give them more.
Najaha

Con

Over 87% of people who get abortions do it cause there "just not ready for a child" or "dont feel ready to commit to having a child"

12% of people who have abortions do it to prevent the health issues that would occur if they were to have a child.

And only 1% of those who have abortions do it cause there a victim if rape and feel having a baby would add on to their stress

Im not saying that I want abortion to be illegal I just perfer that their be a strict law to determine who is allowed an abortion for reasons being that nearly 2900 little children are killed in their mothers womb in a process called abortion (aka the easy way out) every single day by a majority of people who cant commit to there on actions.

Oh and sorry for the late reply and im new to the website too.
YaHey

Pro

Wlcome back, and let the debate continue.

I can't really argue with you statistics, except to ask why they are important. If a person doesn't think they are ready for a baby, which can happen for a multitude of reasons, be it that she doesn't want to have to deal with the physical tolls that the pregnancy will have on her to she doesn't want to take a hit to her career to she doesn't think she is mature enough to be a parent, then why should we deny her that right? Having an abortion past 24 weeks isn't advisable, and that is when a fetus actually starts developing the ability to feel pain. Until then, and I may even argue after, this is the killing of cells.
http://www.newhealthguide.org...

I made a case as to why a woman should be able to have an abortion, but I don't really see a rebuttal, only stating that 2900 "little children" are killed in the womb. So, until you can clearly state why my analysis of why a woman should be able to have an abortion whether or not it is from rape or health concerns, then the argument "But think of the children!" is a moot point.

In response to your comment on this debate: " just because the child is in the mothers womb" Actually, being in the mother's womb is a big part of this debate. This group of cells has a parasitic relationship with the mother, living off the mother's food and causing negative health symptoms as mood swings and sickness, while offering no benefit (unless you count an emotional one, in which case the person probably wouldnt get an abortion unless the circumstances deserve it."

" murder" Murder is unjustly taking a human being's life, and you have yet to prove this is a human being.

"childs voice should still be heard out" How many fetuses do you know that can let their thoughts be known?

" Lets remember that theres still always orphanages or foster homes available for those who arent ready for a child" Yet, this doesnt solve the problem of dealing with the negative health costs such as mood swings and sickness or the leave one would have to take after having the child.

Najaha

Con

According to the most modern biology text books, scientists define anything living as having these seven characteristics:

"7 Signs of Life"

Homeostasis: Regulation of the internal environment to maintain a constant state; for example, electrolyte concentration or sweating to reduce temperature.Organization: Being structurally composed of one or more"cells, which are the basic units of life.Metabolism: Transformation of energy by converting chemicals and energy into cellular components (anabolism) and decomposing organic matter (catabolism). Living things require"energy"to maintain internal organization (homeostasis) and to produce the other phenomena associated with life.Growth: Maintenance of a higher rate of anabolism than catabolism. A growing organism increases in size in all of its parts, rather than simply accumulating matter.Adaptation: The ability to change over a period of time in response to the environment. This ability is fundamental to the process of"evolution"and is determined by the organism"s"heredity"as well as the composition of metabolized substances, and external factors present.Response to"stimuli: A response can take many forms, from the contraction of a unicellular organism to external chemicals, to complex reactions involving all the senses of multicellular organisms. A response is often expressed by motion, for example, the leaves of a plant turning toward the sun (phototropism) and by"chemotaxisReproduction: The ability to produce new individual organisms, either"asexually"from a single parent organism, or"sexually"from two parent organisms.

And these are characteristics all fetuses have, so fetuses are living.

And yes most women arent ready to have children, yet if thats a real issue for them then why couldnt they use birth controls or even a condem, both an option that people couldve took and a much less controversial option too. Yet instead they rely on abortion as there way out of responsibility.
YaHey

Pro

Sorry, but I am going to have to go in backwards order here because what you said last irked me.

"And yes most women arent ready to have children, yet if thats a real issue for them then why couldnt they use birth controls or even a condem, both an option that people couldve took and a much less controversial option too. Yet instead they rely on abortion as there way out of responsibility."

One) Condoms and birth controls can fail.

Two) For some reason, companies don't have to have birth control on their health insurance for their employees. So,
acquiring birth control may not be as "less controversial" as you think.

Three) Why does it matter whether or not an option is controversial? The idea of almost any change, especially in the USA, has been met with controversy. Gay marriage. Still a controversy. Slavery illegal? We had a war for that. ETC., ETC.. Everything is a controversy when it is looked down upon, and one way to make it less of a controversy is to spread information and explain reasoning.

Okay, now onto the living thing. I dont know how reliable this information is, since you didn't give a source except "modern biology textbooks" but let's deal with this anyway.

One) Homeostasis: "The body's homeostatic mechanisms are controlled mainly by the Nervous System, and the Endocrine System." According to this website, http://www.whattoexpect.com... nervouse system isn't starting to develop until week 18, so at least until then this baby isn't keeping itself under control.
http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk...;

Two) Organization: Okay, yeah, it is composed of cells. What you haven't demonstrated is that is is a human being.

Seven) Reproduction: I'm skipping around but I can't really argue with the rest of them. How can a fetus reproduce? I know that this is the last round and you can't respond, by seriously, how can a fetus reproduce. It has reproductive organs, but a girl can't get pregant until puberty and sperm doesn't start developing until puberty. This is why I sort of question this list, because according to this humans that are infertile can't reproduce and therefore aren't living, and up until puberty kids aren't living.

But, in the comments anyway, my opponent has forfeited so.... Vote pro!
Posted by Najaha 2 years ago
Najaha
I hate to say it but yahey won me over with all his examples and facts so im waving the white flag, I surrender, but cut me some slack im still only a kid ive got alot to learn. I'd like to thank all you guys for commenting, your opinions mean the world to me I guess. And abortion will always be a controversial subject. Thanks again, this debate was tons of fun.
Posted by LordEnglish 2 years ago
LordEnglish
Modern abortion procedures are safe and do not cause lasting health issues such as cancer, infertility, and mental health problems. A 2012 study in Obstetrics & Gynecology found a woman's risk of dying from having an abortion is 0.6 in 100,000, while the risk of dying from giving birth is around 14 times higher (8.8 in 100,000). The study also found that "pregnancy-related complications were more common with childbirth than with abortion." The American Medical Association and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists stated "Abortion is one of the safest medical procedures performed in the United States." They also said the mortality rate of a colonoscopy is more than 40 times greater than that of an abortion. The National Cancer Institute (NCI), the American Cancer Society (ACS), and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists all refuted the claim that abortion can lead to a higher probability of developing breast cancer. A 1993 fertility investigation of 10,767 women by the Joint Royal College of General Practitioners and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists found that women who had at least two abortions experienced the same future fertility as those who had at least two natural pregnancies. Studies by the American Psychological Association (APA), the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AMRC), and researchers at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health all concluded that purported links between abortion and mental health problems are unfounded.
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
There is a chance that a woman will actually get depressed after having a child.
Birth can lead to death.
Nowadays, almost anything can lead to death. Thats why you ask your doctor.
Posted by Najaha 2 years ago
Najaha
And there are downsides to abortion on the motsher side like the risk of not being able to get pregnant again, for some it could lead to a lifetime full of burdon, and even (in worst case scenario it could even lead to death.
Posted by Najaha 2 years ago
Najaha
I get that the parents ( in this case the mother mostly) have the right to abort there child you should understand that just because the child is in the mothers womb it doesnt change the fact that its still murder just a high tec version of it and that the childs voice should still be heard out. Lets remember that theres still always orphanages or foster homes available for those who arent ready for a child
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
And besides, a parasite is its own being, yet it has no right to use the body of its host. I am sure we can all agree we dont want parasites.

Theres a bit of a semantics problem. What is a "being", because under the US government, this fetus isn't a person. Until the cells are born, they are cells. Thats why you dont see miscarriages in obituaries.
Posted by YaHey 2 years ago
YaHey
I dont know how to put this delicately so ill just say it. Youre stupid.

This fetus, which is, at this point, just cells, has next to no cognitive function. The mother has the right to make all decisions for these cells. If you are in a coma, it is up to your family what happens, unless you have expressed your wishes. JUst to make it clear, the fetus can NOT express its wishes.
Posted by williamcarter 2 years ago
williamcarter
Isn't the baby its own body the mom cant share besides food any of her cells with the baby right? Therefore its its own being. And shouldn't the dad get a choice to because the baby is half his sex / body cells.
Posted by Jelera 2 years ago
Jelera
Well said, Logical.
Posted by LogicalLib.org 2 years ago
LogicalLib.org
The issue is simple, do you or do you not believe men and women are equal before the law? If you, like most Americans value equality as accorded by the constitution - then fundamentally there is no legal basis to to pass laws that are based on a woman's unique ability to bear children. There are no laws restricting a mans ability to get a vasectomy, and there isnt an ability to have a child without sperm--therefore a woman has every right to have an abortion. And to the argument that a woman can have her tubes tied, almost no doctor will tie a woman's tubes of she is of child bearing age and has no children unless the woman's life is at risk. On the other hand doctors will perform a vasectomy on a man who has no children. You are entitled to your personal religious beliefs and to conduct your own life in accordance-- you don't however have the right to push said beliefs on others or use them as a foundation for law, separation of church and state. Therefore, amy law that serves as an obstacle to a woman getting an abortion is at its core and in its spirit unconstitutional.
Vote Placed by ben671176 2 years ago
ben671176
NajahaYaHeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: "Only The Good Die Young."
Vote Placed by LordEnglish 2 years ago
LordEnglish
NajahaYaHeyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Bae