areneotero
JoshRice

Abortion

JoshRice

areneotero

Con

First round is for acceptance.
JoshRice

Pro

I accept the debate.

I look forward to your argument.
areneotero

Con

Human life begins at conception. Abortion is the murder of a human being. An unborn baby, as a living human being, has separate rights from those of the mother.

Since the legalization of abortion in 1973, over 56 million unborn children have been killed, more than the entire population of Spain. That's 155 babies per hour. About 1 every 24 seconds.

That's a lot of babies, and if life begins at conception (https://www.princeton.edu...) then abortion shouldn't be called abortion. It should be called murder.

Yes, babies could have issues with them in the fetus, but what if they are cured, and get to fully experience life. That would've never happened if they were aborted, or murdered.

These babies never wanted to die. These babies may have wanted to live life. They didn't choose to be killed. Did African Americans choose slavery? Did the Jewish choose the Holocaust? (I apologize if these comparisons offend you in any way). Did these innocent lives choose abortion?

And the worst part of it all, most babies are aborted because they were an accident. Life shouldn't have end because it's an inconvenience. Life trumps accidents. Life trumps all of it. That is why abortion is such a terrible thing.
JoshRice

Pro

I would like to open by stating that I personally do believe life begins at conception and do not agree with abortion being used as a contraception of convenience. However, there are many reasons why abortion should not be made illegal or considered wrong in all circumstances.

Abortion for the sake of the mother's health to me seems a simple decision, if the birth of the infant will result in the death of the mother and the child, then how can it be justified to let them both die? Clearly here an abortion is necessary in order to prevent the death of the mother.

Secondly abortion where a pregnancy is the result of a crime like rape, incest, or child abuse. No human being should be forced to carry a child for 9 months and then give birth to it, if its conception is the result of such physical and mental trauma. This to me would be a form of mental torture almost unparalleled.

Thirdly an abortion where the child of the pregnancy would have an ' unacceptable quality of life' such as cases where the child would have serious physical handicaps, serious genetic problems, serious mental defects.
And finally a few other reasons to consider are: poverty, the mother unable to cope with a child (or another child), and the mother being too young to cope with a child.

These are all legitimate reasons in favour of abortion.

Now to quote you "Did these innocent lives choose abortion?" the answer is no, of course. However, an equally plausible question is "Did these innocent lives choose to be conceived?" the answer is again, no. The foetus has no choice in its conception or its birth. It lives or dies off the choices of the mother who carries it, and ultimately the decisions must come down to her.

By taking away the right of abortion, we take away the right of a woman to choose and this along with the other points I have stated have no place in a modern, secular and equal society.
areneotero

Con

I personally will say that I am not entirely sure what I believe is a full solution for a case such as rape or mental illness. However, that still doesn't mean that the baby should have to suffer for someone else's deeds. In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant. Abortion punishes the unborn child who committed no crime; instead, it is the perpetrator who should be punished. Perhaps the pregnant woman used drugs (most infant disabilities are from drugs however I am not saying that drugs are the reason all the time). So even in those cases, a persons life shouldn't have to be stopped. I know it is 9 months of lugging around a child in your gut. But in the end it is all worth it. Yes, the woman has rights, but what about that unborn baby, who hasn't been able to enjoy the fruits of life yet.

And there is an alternative. Adoption is a viable alternative to abortion and accomplishes the same result. And with 1.5 million American families wanting to adopt a child, there is no such thing as an unwanted child.

Many Americans who pay taxes are opposed to abortion, therefore it's morally wrong to use tax dollars to fund abortion.

Those who choose abortions are often minors or young women with insufficient life experience to understand fully what they are doing. Many have lifelong regrets afterwards. Abortion frequently causes intense psychological pain and stress.

Thanks for debating with me. You certainly put up a fight.
JoshRice

Pro

I will keep this short and sweet as I fear I will repeat myself.

I would like to point out a few fallacies within your argument:

Firstly, "In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant." I do not know of a form of contraception that can stop a woman getting pregnant aside from "the morning after pill" this is not particularly effective and if it doesn"t work are you suggesting the woman should just have to deal with it?

Secondly, "Abortion punishes the unborn child who committed no crime; instead, it is the perpetrator who should be punished." So what are you suggesting should happen to these women who have these "illegal abortions" should they be treated as murderers and charged as such?

Thirdly, "most infant disabilities are from drugs" most infant disabilities are not caused by drug use. The majority are due to the genetics of the parents. This isn"t particularly relevant but I just thought I would clear this up.

Adoption is of course a noble solution. However, this doesn"t address the problem of life threatening birth or the psychological torment that carrying an unwanted baby due to rape/incest inflicts on a mother.

So overall abortion should not be blacklisted as it can be a useful tool in society.
Posted by EverFlameWolf 2 years ago
EverFlameWolf
Abortion is horribla and murder. It should be illegal, all abortion is doing is killing a child that could have had a happy life. I know that there can be reasons for an abortion but then again some people do it because they don't want to deal with a child, why not have the child then put it up for adoption?
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
Can't anyone come up with an original debate? Or at least something worth debating about? Most people already are for abortion (despite the fact it's wrong).

Did you know that in some states, if you kill a pregnant woman or injure her and kill the child in the womb you can be charged with double (or single if just the child died) homicide? But in those same states abortion is legal?
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
areneoteroJoshRiceTied
Reasons for voting decision: pro makes excellent points about how the mother will die WITH the baby without abortion. Con failed to rebut back. Pro wins major important argument. Wins debate.
Vote Placed by Alduin 2 years ago
Alduin
areneoteroJoshRiceTied
Reasons for voting decision: The law is on the side of the mother. A unborn noncitizen is not entitled to any rights in America, or any other country.