Mal_the_Lumberjane
1Credo

Abortion

1Credo

Mal_the_Lumberjane

Pro

Sex isn"t used as just a reproductive process, it"s a way to express love, affection, and loyalty to your significant other. Sometimes a baby is accidentally conceived, in which a woman will have to decide what to do. If abortion is made illegal, then it will be taking away an option. Women should have as much freedom on this topic as they can, as pregnancy is a powerful event in a woman"s life. Abortion doesn"t have to be the only option, adoption or raising the child are still safe paths to go down. But abortion should be made a possibility for those who choose it.
1Credo

Con

Acceptance

I accept. I'd like to thank my opponent for creating this debate. I will be defending the view that abortion is wrong. I will begin by presenting a deductive logical argument against abortion before addressing my opponent's argument(s). I look forward to a good discussion!

Argument Against Abortion

Premise 1: Murder is wrong
Premise 2: The killing of an innocent human is murder
Premise 3: A fetus is an innocent human
Conclusion: The killing of a fetus is wrong

In order to reject the conclusion that "the killing of a fetus is wrong", my opponent must falsify at least one of the argument's premises. Until my opponent is able to accomplish this, the conclusion that "the killing of a fetus is wrong" stands.

As the first two premises are fairly self-explanatory and uncontroversial, I will dedicate the majority of my time to defending the third premise, which states that "a fetus is an innocent human". The word fetus is a description of a particular human developmental stage. Such words commonly used to describe various stages of human life: fetus, infant, toddler, child, adolescent, adult, etc. It would be absurd to say something along the lines of, "that's not a human being, that's a toddler!" It's evident that toddlers are of the species homo sapien. In the very same way, it is evident that fetuses inside of a homo sapien womb are homo sapien fetuses. It'd be very strange indeed if a homo sapien male and a homo sapien female mated to produce offspring of some other species. So, I think it's as clear as night and day that a fetus is a human, regardless of developmental stage, geographic location, etc. But if it's true that a fetus is a human (an innocent one), then it follows from the deductive argument that the killing of a fetus (abortion) is wrong.

Rebuttal

Sex isn"t used as just a reproductive process, it"s a way to express love, affection, and loyalty to your significant other.

This is irrelevant. The debate topic is abortion, not the purpose(s) of sex.

"Sometimes a baby is accidentally conceived, in which a woman will have to decide what to do. If abortion is made illegal, then it will be taking away an option."

This is true, but not much of an issue. The woman has other options, including keeping the child and raising the child herself or putting the child up for adoption. You seem to be arguing that the slaughter of an innocent human is justifiable on the basis that the mother in question isn't satisfied with the multiple options already available to her; I find this reasoning to be both blatantly irrational as well as morally reprehensible.

"Women should have as much freedom on this topic as they can, as pregnancy is a powerful event in a woman"s life."

It's a powerful event in the life of the woman's child as well. Why is the women's "right" of freedom to kill valued above an equal human's (albeit in a different developmental stage) right to life? Using that logic, why can't a woman kill her infant, or toddler? On my opponent's view, it seems that telling a woman she can't murder her infant or toddler is wrong as it deprives her of her "right" to freedom.

Abortion doesn"t have to be the only option, adoption or raising the child are still safe paths to go down.

I'm glad to see that my opponent and I agree that adoption and raising the child are both viable options.

"But abortion should be made a possibility for those who choose it."

Again, I don't see why my opponent privileges the women's "right" to kill above another human's right to live. Moreover, using this very same logic, women ought to have the "right" to kill their offspring at any age.

Summary

Through a deductive logical argument, I have shown that abortion is wrong. I await my opponent's response to this argument. Thus far, my opponent has used faulty reasoning which I have adequately refuted. As it stands, it seems to me that abortion is the killing of an innocent human and as such is wrong.

http://www.tandfonline.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.plannedparenthood.org...
Mal_the_Lumberjane

Pro

I understand your viewpoint, but it is unclear whether abortion is slaughter or not, just as it is unclear whether a fetus is alive or not. Words like "kill" and "murder" cannot be used validly where it is questionable that the fetus has life in the first place. Also, crimes such as sexual assault and rape can occur. After these events women may not choose to birth the child, which means that she may need to choose abortion.
1Credo

Con

Thanks, Pro.

Rebuttal

"it is unclear whether a fetus is alive or not."

This is a common but mistaken line that many pro-choice advocates take. Fetuses are very clearly "alive". I can't imagine something that can grow (as a fetus does) without being alive. Moreover, fetuses are made up of living cells, just as newborns, toddlers, and adult human beings are. There is no fundamental difference in the "life" of a fetus as compared to the "life" of you or I aside from geographic location and developmental stage, neither of which provide justification for the slaughter of innocent human life.

"Also, crimes such as sexual assault and rape can occur. After these events women may not choose to birth the child, which means that she may need to choose abortion."

Does being the victim of one crime provide justification for being the culprit of another? If a stranger came to my house and beat me unconscious, would that then give me the right to go to my neighbor's house, who had nothing to do with the situation, and beat their child unconscious? Certainly not. In the same way, if a woman is raped it does not provide her with justification for killing another innocent human. Furthermore, you again cite abortion as the preferable alternative to the raising of a child whom is a result of rape. Firstly, there are many instances of courageous women who have chosen life for their children after being raped and raise their children to the best of their ability. Second, there is a much healthier alternative to abortion if the women does not wish to raise her child, namely adoption.

Argument Against Abortion

Recall the argument that I presented in the first round:

Premise 1: Murder is wrong
Premise 3: A fetus is an innocent human

My opponent has thus far failed to knock down any of the argument's premises. As it stands, then, the argument against abortion is sound.

Summary

My opponent has failed to provide any sort of sound argument or evidence in favor of abortion. Furthermore, my opponent has yet to knock down the argument against abortion that I have presented. I invite my opponent to address my argument and attempt to refute at least one of its premises.

http://www.tandfonline.com...
http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://www.plannedparenthood.org...

Mal_the_Lumberjane

Pro

Mal_the_Lumberjane forfeited this round.
1Credo

Con

I have nothing to add, as my opponent has forfeited the final round.

Vote Con!
Posted by Andrea39 1 year ago
Andrea39
Ugh....abortion shouldn't be talked about as if it is a birth control option:( one of the possible repercussions of sex is pregnancy. Just being able to do away with the baby Is irresponsible. By thee way...anyone can dive into the fact based knowledge about development and I wish people. Maybe they don't want to know but we all should just so we don't do something we regret later because we didn't know the facts. One more thing:) I was raped and my son is now 20:) he is awesome and I was gonna get rid of him. I'll never judge because I know what it's like to get pregnant and not be ready doesn't matter how it happened. But I will say this I made the personal choice to give birth to him and keep him or give him up for adoption and it was the right thing to do it changed my life. human life is valuable and I got something WAY BETTER out of the deal.
Posted by Bible-Prophecy 1 year ago
Bible-Prophecy
PRO-LIFE vs. PRO-CHOICE

The Holy Bible says,
I (God) formed you in your mother's womb.
(Psalm 139:13; Isaiah 44:2).

Children are a gift from God. (Psalm 127:3).

PRO-CHOICE

The Holy Bible says,
Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute. (Proverbs 31:8).
Posted by cwt002 1 year ago
cwt002
Pro what is your definition of alive? a heart beat, brain function, feels pain, growing, can breath...... all which a fetus can do. Also, I think rape or sexual abuse are not really relevant in abortion debates since about 5% of abortions occur due to those cases, most abortions are out of convenience for women.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
Mal_the_Lumberjane1CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
Mal_the_Lumberjane1CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff a round, so conduct to Con. Pro was unable to falsify Con's syllogism, so arguments to Con. Only Con had sources
Vote Placed by cwt002 1 year ago
cwt002
Mal_the_Lumberjane1CredoTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF and overall better argument by con