SlamminSam212
abard124

Abortion

abard124

SlamminSam212

Con

Forget Death Penalty lets do this

You Open :)
abard124

Pro

Well, I would just like to open this by saying that I am MODERATELY pro choice. If I were a woman, I would never have an abortion. I would never allow my sexual partner/wife to have an abortion. I am also against late term/partial birth abortions. With early term abortions, I feel that contraception and other alternatives should be promoted, but there should be a legal, albeit discouraged option of abortion. I think that my pro-choice stance can be summed up in three statements. "You aren't human until you are born," "The baby would have a terrible life anyway," and "If you can't trust me with an abortion, why would you trust me with a baby?"

"You aren't a human until you are born."
So, when did you turn one? Was it a year after your conception? Of course not. Honestly, a blastocyst is a ball of somatic cells. Every time you cut yourself, you destroy more than a blastocyst. However, women don't usually get an abortion until they actually know that they are pregnant. I have news for you. Look at a human embryo. Then look at an embryo from any other animal. They look remarkably similar. Especially other mammalian embryos. It would be hard to tell the difference. And we kill adult animals, so I don't see why killing an embryo is so bad. It gets a little sketchy after it becomes a fetus, but it still doesn't know what is going on. We go to war and kill people from countries we don't like, but the soldiers haven't done anything wrong. But they have a life and they know what is going on. Fetuses don't have a life and they don't know what is going on. I do not support late term or partial birth abortion.

"It is better for the baby."
It might seem counterintuitive but women usually abort for the baby. If you were to ask someone if they would prefer a long life or a happy life, 95% of the time, they will say happy. So they are basically saying that they would rather die than have an unhappy life. The mother knows that the baby would have a bad life, so they feel that, in order to prevent the child from having severe mental and emotional problems, possibly leading to crime or suicide, they don't have the baby.

"If you don't trust me with an abortion, why would you trust me with a baby?"
Anyone who feels that Abortion is the right thing to do is probably not fit to have a baby. They probably have some mental insecurity, they probably wouldn't be a good mother, seeing as though they wanted to terminate the baby. They would likely be young and unmarried. Someone who would be a good mother would almost definitely not get an abortion. So maybe it's better that the baby doesn't suffer the abuse and neglect that any baby who would have been aborted would so likely be subjected to.

Looking forward to your response!
SlamminSam212

Con

"So, when did you turn one? Was it a year after your conception? Of course not. Honestly, a blastocyst is a ball of somatic cells. Every time you cut yourself, you destroy more than a blastocyst. However, women don't usually get an abortion until they actually know that they are pregnant. I have news for you. Look at a human embryo. Then look at an embryo from any other animal. They look remarkably similar. Especially other mammalian embryos. It would be hard to tell the difference. And we kill adult animals, so I don't see why killing an embryo is so bad. It gets a little sketchy after it becomes a fetus, but it still doesn't know what is going on. We go to war and kill people from countries we don't like, but the soldiers haven't done anything wrong. But they have a life and they know what is going on. Fetuses don't have a life and they don't know what is going on. I do not support late term or partial birth abortion."

They do not have a life and they do not know what is going on. How about people with diseases of sort that don't know what is going on should we just kill them too. When we go to war with other countries it is because they have threatened us in some way. The fetus hasn't threatened anyone. You are saying at conception a fetus or whatever you feel like calling it doesn't have rights. Now tell me why everything doesn't have an equal chance of living. The fetus did nothing wrong it was the women fault for getting knocked up and not being responsible. Why should the fetus pay for that.

Its not better for the bay to die that's just a dumb statement.

I gotta go right now im leaving on vacation so i dont know if i will respond din time if not we'll have to start it up again

thanks
abard124

Pro

You said that what I was saying implied that we should kill sick people who don't know what is going on. Well, you have a couple logical fallacies and a couple backfires. First of all, the fetus has never lived and has no idea what life is. They have never known another person except the inside of mom, and their cereberal cortex is empty. They don't do anything for themselves. The same cannot be said for anyone who has been born. Also, they don't know anything is wrong. That is because they do not think except for the bare essentials for life that mom does not supply. Embryos don't even have brains. Now sick people can kill themselves (here, anyway, with Oregon's death with dignity act). Or, they can choose their potential fate with a DNR order. The one most similar to abortion, as well as the most widely performed is simply the family of the inflicted to take the person off of life support. They figure that they won't be able to enjoy life anymore, so they take them off life support. So if that is what you are implying, yes, there should be an option to kill ill people who would no longer enjoy life.

Have a great vacation, and don't sweat it if you can't get back in time. Life happens.
SlamminSam212

Con

SlamminSam212 forfeited this round.
abard124

Pro

I think the main central point that so many pro-lifers don't seem to understand is that just because you don't support legislation against abortion does not mean that we are baby killers. We just feel that if a woman doesn't feel capable of being pregnant and having a baby, she shouldn't be forced to. I almost feel like it's kind of ironic that we are two men debating this issue, which really should be debated between 2 women.

Remember, pro-choice is not pro-abortion.

Have a great vacation! We fit in a good 2 rounds, and hopefully you can get back to finish it off!
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
I almost wonder if English isn't Sam's first language. There were some pretty simple s/g errors...
Posted by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
I have contentions with Pro's reasoning here, but he fared better than Con so I will be short.
Conduct: Pro - Con Missed round.
S/G: Pro. Too many mistakes stood out in Con's writing.
Arguments: Pro, but only in relation to Con's worse arguments.
Sources: Tie, no one used sources here.
Pro, do not worry over 7 point votes. Con could vote for himself and some voters simply choose 7 points for the position they agreed with prior to the debate.
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
Ya... Round 3 would have been interesting. On an unrelated note, do you want to explain how his spelling and sources were better than mine? Those 7 points had to some from somewhere...
Posted by KeithKroeger91 7 years ago
KeithKroeger91
Was a good debate too bad he had to leave
Posted by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
Whoops! The last sentence in round 3 was a direct result of my stupidity... Ah, well...
Vote Placed by Nails 7 years ago
Nails
SlamminSam212abard124Tied
Vote Placed by rayedawg2013 7 years ago
rayedawg2013
SlamminSam212abard124Tied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 7 years ago
sherlockmethod
SlamminSam212abard124Tied
Vote Placed by SlamminSam212 7 years ago
SlamminSam212
SlamminSam212abard124Tied
Vote Placed by abard124 7 years ago
abard124
SlamminSam212abard124Tied