GodlessTemplar
giantrobot11

Abortion

GodlessTemplar

Pro

In this debate, I will let me opponent begin.

Any conflicts regarding definitions shall be resolved with the assistance of:
http://dictionary.reference.com...
giantrobot11

Con

For this debate we shall accept the moral standard that every human being is of intrinsic worth. I think this will be acceptable for my opponent.
First and foremost, I accept that abortion of a pregnancy caused by incest, rape, or a pregnancy threatening to health of the mother, is perfectly acceptable. These pregnancies are not the responsibilities of the mother, and were brought upon by force.
The problem is that the aforementioned reasons add up to less then 14%* of the reasons for abortions, so these reasons do not justify abortion completely
How does the termination of a pregnancy not equate with murder? It is a human being, the only difference between us and fetuses is the number of cells, its developmental stage, and the fact that it has not exited the birth canal.
I have heard the argument that it is only a a group of cells, and not any valuable life. Isn't that what all humans are, just a bunch of cells? You may argue that we can think or feel, but these are both just advanced forms of animal instincts.

20004 AGI Survey: http://www.johnstonsarchive.net...
GodlessTemplar

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate and thank him against for his response.

"First and foremost, I accept that abortion of a pregnancy caused by incest, rape, or a pregnancy threatening to health of the mother, is perfectly acceptable. These pregnancies are not the responsibilities of the mother, and were brought upon by force."
A pregnancy which threatens a mother's health does not need to be brought upon her by force.

Let's assume abortion was to be equated with murder. This would mean that women would be forced to endure the misery of unwanted pregnancy and the incredible burdens of child rearing. It would mean that women would be sentenced to 18-year terms of enslavement to unwanted children. This would cause a death of their personal dreams, ambitions, and hopes.

"It is a human being, the only difference between us and fetuses is the number of cells, its developmental stage, and the fact that it has not exited the birth canal."
We do not depend on another person to feed us, nurture us, and bring us to term we do differ from fetuses. The decision of fetuses being human beings is based on personal philosophy as there is no scientific evidence that fetuses are and that fetuses aren't.

"I have heard the argument that it is only a a group of cells, and not any valuable life. Isn't that what all humans are, just a bunch of cells? You may argue that we can think or feel, but these are both just advanced forms of animal instincts."
This reasoning is fallacious as it makes one large assumption which it must depend on. That humans are more valuable than other forms of life. It also makes the assumption that all life is valuable. There is no scientific evidence that humans are more valuable than other forms of life. If there was, then this evidence would be of little importance to my argument as we did not choose to be born as humans, we also did not choose when we wanted to be born. If we were born about five billion years ago (not born, created through a process like binary fission) then we would be a protozoan or a bacterium. Which if we follow the logic of all life being valuable if this bacterium were to be killed, then that would be unjust.
giantrobot11

Con

I will have to concede defeat in this one; my arguments are poor.
GodlessTemplar

Pro

GodlessTemplar forfeited this round.
giantrobot11

Con

giantrobot11 forfeited this round.
GodlessTemplar

Pro

GodlessTemplar forfeited this round.
giantrobot11

Con

giantrobot11 forfeited this round.
GodlessTemplar

Pro

GodlessTemplar forfeited this round.
giantrobot11

Con

giantrobot11 forfeited this round.
Posted by atheistman 7 years ago
atheistman
Yes giantrobot11, your arguments ARE poor.