L_Con7
BriaBrnx

Abortion

L_Con7

Con

I do not believe Roe v Wade was morally justifiable even from a non religious standpoint.
Religious beliefs are not necessary to feel that abortion is wrong. I believe that the idea that people against abortion rights are somehow sexist or not for women's' rights is absurd and simply an attempt to shine pro-life people in a bad light. Public opinion is very nearly split on this issue, we should not behave like the ship has sailed on it. I am open to getting my view changed should a good argument present itself.
BriaBrnx

Pro

I accept, and wish my opponent luck.
L_Con7

Con

Abortion is considered to be on the same level as most other contraceptives as far as morality goes. I think this is very wrong, I would like to clarify that I am not against all types of contraception, only the ones that exterminate pregnancy after fertilization has occurred. When you terminate a pregnancy after conception you are halting the life of something that if left alone will become a human being. Whether or not you think it is "alive" at the time of the abortion is largely irrelevant because the prevention of life when it is practically guaranteed is nearly equivalent to murder.

The idea that we decide it is murder only after it is born or has progressed beyond a certain developmental state is somewhat ridiculous to me. One day it's okay to end the fetus' life and then the next day it is not? The promise of the fetus remained the same, so why did it's rights change overnight?

Another point is the child's innocence. People who are pro-choice often equate the fetus to a parasite, living off of the mother's body, but that fetus is entirely your creation. When you had sex, as annoying as this might be, you agreed to the conditions that a pregnancy was a possibility. Now because of whatever situation you are in you think it is alright to end your child's life simply because it needs you to live? If someone was about to die, and you had the power to save them, you probably would. If you didn't help them in their time of need that would be on your conscience, If someone was about to commit suicide and you could say something that you knew could make them change their mind, you most definitely would say it and help them. But when it comes to abortion we see the fetus a parasite? It needs you to save it and help it to live just as much as that person about to commit suicide did, what makes the fetus less worthy of your help?

Finally, I would like to talk about the only situation I see abortion as justified in: When the mother's life is in serious danger. This is a case where it is the mother's right to live over the child's. You should be free to save your own life if it is in danger but only if it is in danger. Practically every other situation other then this one is morally wrong to me, because they are based solely on comfort, not necessity. Don't want to go through pregnancy? Too bad, your right to comfort shouldn't come before someone else's right to live.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to your response.
BriaBrnx

Pro

BriaBrnx forfeited this round.
L_Con7

Con

L_Con7 forfeited this round.
BriaBrnx

Pro

BriaBrnx forfeited this round.
Posted by kane9287 1 year ago
kane9287
What are the opinions in this topic, is right? is it wrong? Discourse please.