Traeton
PaulCabal

Abortion

Traeton

Con

This should be illegal because you are committing murder!! I got in trouble lol cause I got in a huge argument and got in huge trouble with my teacher cause she was pro for this and I think it's wrong! If you do not want the baby give it up for adoption! Don't kill another human being!
PaulCabal

Pro

This is my first debate on this forum and I clicked on it fairly impulsively, apologies in advance if my arguments are pretty much the stereotypical arguments posed.

Overall I think your argument is too simplistic for what is a complicated situation.

I don't agree with killing an unborn child which has developed over 8 or 9 months, but a baby that's only been conceived 9 weeks ago? An unborn baby at that stage of development is the size of an olive. Personally I don't see anything wrong in killing a human life form the size of an olive in order to prevent the birth of an unwanted child and the multiple complications that arise from unwanted births. let's not forget that the death and killing of millions of life forms is a daily occurrence with every sperm that dies.

Let's also not forget, if you want to talk about the cost of life, that the killing of an undeveloped thumb size baby will also usually prevent the deaths of hundreds of other developed living animals, chickens, cows, sheep, in some cases horses and dogs. Humans are usually predatory (vegans and vegetarians excluded) not only is our exploding population destroying the environment and indirectly resulting in the deaths of other animals but we are also directly responsible for the deaths of other animals because of hunting and farming.

I have to say that my views on abortion aren't one dimensional though, I actually agree with you in some aspects that I do consider abortion to be murder sometimes. I think once the unborn baby reaches a certain size having an abortion then would be basically killing a baby which I do consider to be wrong. But I still think the over all statement that abortion is wrong is, like I have already said, over simplified.

Another over simplified comment you made was about babies should just be adopted.
The world is overcrowded. The world has gone from a human population of just under 1 billion to around 6 and a half billion in around one thousand years. A baby born into poverty isn't guaranteed to be adopted by relatively economically secure parents. Just the sheer scale of overcrowding we are facing now is causing unhappiness, pollution, crime, unsustainable demands for food and water. Abortion isn't going to solve all these problems but unwanted births are definitely going to make these problems worse.

I'd also like to add that this is an emotionally charged subject, I myself feel emotional about it. Just typing the word baby and babies makes my paternal protective instincts kick in.
But the bottom line is babies don't remain cute babies, they more often than not grow into predatory great apes, asserting dominance on each other often cruel ways, sapping resources from the land, breeding and giving birth to even more predatory great apes.

Therefore I think abortion should be a choice, and it isn't simply overall a bad thing.
Traeton

Con

Traeton forfeited this round.
PaulCabal

Pro

Nothing much to add on to what I said in the last round.
Traeton

Con

Traeton forfeited this round.
PaulCabal

Pro

PaulCabal forfeited this round.
Posted by crazyness 1 year ago
crazyness
If I am not being rude, I would like to ask a question to the con. What if someone gets raped and are pregnant, should they have to bear the burden of carrying someone else's child who they may have no relation with? If abortion is illegal and this might have been the only way for someone to heal from this type of tragedy, this would be unfair to that someone.
Posted by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
Welcome to the site. For your arguement to be valid you will need to prove that it is murder, and possibly further that murder itself is wrong. Best of luck.