Tobariche
Lee001

Abortion

Lee001

Tobariche

Con

Preventing abortion is often categorized as preventing a woman to do as she pleases with her body, but doing something to your individual body is a completely different thing than doing something to another human being, especially if youre killing it.
Lee001

Pro

Thank you Con for challenging me to this debate! I always love debating on Abortion. Since there isn't really a resolution established by Con, I will be arguing that Abortion is okay and a women has the right to do so. Con will argue that it is unaccountable.
I will use this 1st round as acceptance, then define Abortion.
[1] Abortion- "Also called voluntary abortion. the removal of an embryo or fetus from the uterus in order to end a pregnancy."

Again, thanks to Con for challenging me, and good luck!

Tobariche

Con

I will argue that Abortion is not at all okay. A reason for this is that in an abortion what you are doing is essentially killing a human being, taking away a life. The reason for unwanted pregnancy may or not be negligence, rape, simply unprotected relations. None of these cause justify that taking away of a life in any way. The most arguable cause would be rape, but you could give it to abortion, considering that giving a life is better than taking one away.
Lee001

Pro

Thank you Con!

Alright, first off I will begin by rebutting his argument.

Con's main argument is that Abortion is murder.

[1] Murder- the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

As you can see, murder is killing of a person. Not a fetus. Abortion is not murder if done before 10 weeks, the child dosen't have a heartbeat. Therfor, the baby isnt alive yet, thus not a person. [2] Your caregiver will usually be able to find the heartbeat with this method around 12 weeks, but in some cases they will do so at 10 weeks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Case;

The Right to Abortion.

Section 1. of the 14th ammendment clearly states that [3] "Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Note that, the state shall not deprive someone of life, they can't take away a individuals rights, nor can they deprive them of life. [4] Deprive- deny (a person or place) the possession or use of something. If a women wishes to have an abortion, she should be able to because it is her right. As stated in the 14th amendment "nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property," A women's body is her own property. The government can't tell her what to do with her body, they guarantee these rights to all Americans.

Well-Being of the Mother

Studies have shown, women whom are denied abortions suffer long term health and or mental problems. [5] "A Sep. 2013 peer-reviewed study comparing the mental health of women who received abortions to women denied abortions found that women who were denied abortions "felt more regret and anger" and "less relief and happiness" than women who had abortions. The same study also found that 95% of women who received abortions "felt it was the right decision" a week after the procedure.

The goverment promises not to deprive someone of life. Women are deprived of happiness. Instead, they live with regret and anger. They are unable to live a healthy life, because they were denied of their rights.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...

[2]https://www.google.com...

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org......

[4] http://dictionary.reference.com......

[5] http://abortion.procon.org......

Tobariche

Con

Tobariche forfeited this round.
Lee001

Pro

Vote Pro :)
Posted by WillSelenus 1 year ago
WillSelenus
I have to respectfully disagree with beng100. Although I do believe that proponent will ultimately win the debate at this point, I find proponent's first two arguments either factually wrong or wanting. As I previously pointed out, proponent's argument as to why a fetus is not a person rests on a demonstrably wrong premise: that, without a heartbeat, non-life is implied. Proponent may be able to perform some gymnastics to salvage this in part, but opponent has a major avenue of attack which proponent has left themselves open for. Likewise, with this argument, proponent will struggle to explain away unborn homicide laws, which exist in 35 states, although I would anticipate that proponent would simply disagree with them and try to debunk them on challenge. That's a valid avenue, but it's a less than ideal one.

As to the legal analysis, this is almost just as factually inaccurate. Yes, women have the right to not be deprived of their property by the government without due process of law. (As do all persons in the jurisdiction, not just American citizens). However, proponent will struggle and ultimately fail to justify the illegality of the abortion of a woman's fetus under a theory that the woman's body is the private property of said woman. That's simply not the jurisprudence. Proponent seems to argue well known pro-abortion arguments, such as trying to debunk personhood and sustain legal rights, but in each instance, takes the smallest and most confusing misstep away. Women are not private property of themselves, as proponent explicitly expresses; they are individuals with medical autonomy. This is not the same thing.
Posted by beng100 1 year ago
beng100
Some excellent points made by LeeOO1. Clearly winning the debate at the moment.
Posted by WillSelenus 1 year ago
WillSelenus
I hesitate at proponent's statement to the effect of that, if a (would-be) entity lacks a heartbeat, one can deduce that the said entity is not alive. A heartbeat is not a requirement for life, as demonstrated by the fact that a huge majority of life on Earth does not have a heartbeat. Bacteria, for instance, which do not have hearts or heartbeats, compose more than half of life on Earth. Another example would be plant life.

At the risk of influencing the debate, I'll say little more. However, I question the legal analysis offered by proponent. However, I am unsure of how much it will prejudice proponent's overall case against opponent.
Posted by WillSelenus 1 year ago
WillSelenus
I'm now in the audience for this debate and I'm very interested in watching it. On that note, proponent's enthusiasm and friendliness is very welcoming. I can't wait to see some arguments.
Posted by Lee001 1 year ago
Lee001
I'll accept this tomorrow morning.

I'll gladly debate you :)
Vote Placed by Mikal 1 year ago
Mikal
TobaricheLee001Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by AtheistPerson 1 year ago
AtheistPerson
TobaricheLee001Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Do I even need to specify why Pro wins? Kek
Vote Placed by The_American_Sniper 1 year ago
The_American_Sniper
TobaricheLee001Tied