selena16
famousdebater

Abortion

famousdebater

selena16

Con

Why would you want to harm an innocent life that is just beginning to grow. you can't say it isn't a live yet because even when it is still developing it has a heart beat. the earliest stage is called an embryo not just any embryo but your embryo and in a few months it will be called a fetus which is the baby before it is born. If the parents don't want the child they should have just put it up for adoption not kill it. they are making an innocent life over the parents mistake. You are taking away everything that could have possibly had in it's life, for what so you could do it all over again. instead of ruining you second chance at life, take it as a chance to start over again. give them what your parents didn't give you, unless you parents were great then that just means you have learned how to be a parent from the best. Show your kids how to be a great parent to. Don't kill the baby save it instead. The don't choose who the parents are, but you choose to be their parents when you keep them.
famousdebater

Pro

Accepted.
selena16

Con

lol okay but I can put an argument on if you don't state why you chose the side you did lol
famousdebater

Pro

Argument

Women should have the right to make decisions about their own bodies. Women should be able to have an abortion if they are too young and unable to take care their babies. And the right to have an abortion if the pregnancy negatively affects the women's or the babies's health.

It is women's right to make decisions about their own bodies. Having control over their own bodies is an important part of the equal rights that women have fount for. According to socialist worker, Women have the right to control their own body and reproductive lives. Therefore, no one has the right to tell a woman what she can or can not do with her body. This view is shared by the United States Supreme Court who ruled in the 1973 case "Roe Vs. Wade" that women have the right to control their own bodies. Since 1973 the Supreme Court has never over ruled this decision.

Another reason that women should be able to have abortions is in case the mothers are too young and unable to take care their babies. Unwanted pregnancies can be very stressful for women. Therefore, if they think they can not give their babies a good life then it is right for them to have abortions. For example, one of my friends was pregnant when she was 19. She and her baby's father were still in college by that time. Neither had a job, and they knew that they could not afford to buy food and provided medical care for their baby. My friend got an abortion, even though it was the hardest decision of her life. She knew that it would be better, however, for her own life and because she could not properly take care of the baby.

Critics of abortion say stopping a fetus's life is wrong. But if the babies health is at question during the pregnancy a woman should have the right to choose for herself. The reason is I believe that continuing a dangerous pregnancy will put a woman in a dangerous situation and will bring the baby into a life of sickness. In pre-pregnancy diabetes raises risk of birth defects, Donya (2008) report that " Women diagnosed with diabetes before they become pregnant are three times to four times more likely to give birth to a child with one or even multiple birth defects than a non diabetic mother, according to a study in the Aug. 1 American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology ". If a woman gets pregnant and she has a history of heart disease then continuing the pregnancy would put both her and her baby at risk. A woman with a history of heart disease should avoid pregnancy because of the the high risk of death or she will give birth to a baby with birth defects. Therefore, it is right if a woman chooses to get abortion in this case.

Advocates of abortion believe that death is harmful for the fetus and the fetus has the right to have a life just like ours. One advocate of abortion is Stone. For Stone, " death seriously harms the fetus and so the fetus has a right to life because death deprives the fetus of conscious goods which it is the fetus's biological natural to make itself have " . However when a woman's health is at risk or they will give birth to a child with defects then abortion would be better for the mother and for the baby. If we know the child will be born with defects then there is no point in having have the mother keep the baby if she chooses not to.

I'm not sure my opponent considered if the person wanting an abortion is a rape victim. If someone is raped (especially at a young age - younger than 18) do you think that they should have to go through the process of having a child. Not only will it be hard to look after at such a young age. It will also be hard to explain to the baby who the father is. Having a child who reminds you of such a horrible experience is not a nice thing. What if the child grows up to look like his father (the rapist). Then what?

In conclusion, I believe that women have the right to have abortions. First, women have the right to control their own bodies. Second, they have the right to have abortions if the pregnancies will affect their health and their babies health in a harmful way. Third, women have the right to have abortions if they have been raped. Also advocates of abortion believe that abortion is seriously wrong but women should do what is best for them and their babies.

Sharon Smith. " Abortion is every woman's right." Socialistworker 23 April 2004.

Stretton, Dean. "The Deprivation Argument Against Abortion." Bioethics 18.2 (Apr. 2004): 144-180. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. [Library name], [City], [State abbreviation].

Currie, Donya. "Pre-pregnancy diabetes raises risk of birth defects." Nation's Health 38.8 (Oct. 2008): 21-21. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. [Library name], [City], [State abbreviation].

J. Stone. Why Potentiality Matters. Canadian Journal of Philosophy 1987; 17:
815-830. More recently: J. Stone. Why Potentiality Still Matters.
Canadian Journal
of Philosophy 1994; 24: 281-294
selena16

Con

I do know of rape my uncle did that to me and there are some people in my school who have had kids in 9th grade who chose to raise their kids. But if the woman doesn't want the child they should at least put it up for adoption to give it a chance at actually having a life to live instead of taking it away. If the person is raped they have every right to abort the baby. But many woman have kids that they don't want but over half of them give the child to some one who wants it rather than destroying it. How can you kill something so beautiful as life if you create it. Unless it is rape.
famousdebater

Pro

I will refute my opponent's R1 arguments followed by their R3 rebuttals.

R1

Yes, it has a heartbeat but does that mean that it is alive? No, it does not. A fetus scientifically does not have any feeling of pain or emotion at the stage where abortion in the pregnancy that abortions are currently allowed. Sometimes it is a bit more complicated than just putting your child up for adoption. Please bare in mind that I am arguing against adoptions, I am arguing for the option to an abortion if the mother feels like this is her only option. I admit that in certain scenarios, abortion isn't necessary however I am not saying that I am pro abortion in all situations, I am saying that abortion should always be open as an option to the mother (and father) if they do not want a child for various different reasons. My opponent refers to the fetus as if it is a baby. I would like to make this clear - I am not Pro the killing of babies. An abortion should be an option if the mother or father have a valid reason to do so, ie. rape, underage pregnancy, financial issues, e.t.c. My opponent hasn't used this argument directly however I will refute this anyway because this is a commonly brought up argument: what if your baby would grow up to cure cancer. Let's see how likely that is. Out of every child in the planet that is born how many of them will cure cancer? The chances will be significantly below 1% since 1 percent is the equivalent to 1/100.

R2

My opponent concedes that if the woman is raped then she has the right to abort the baby. Since the debate resolution and R1 never said that I could not argue that rape is an issue by opponent has conceded. It is unfair to say in the last round that rape is not a valid argument because you agree that you can have an abortion in this case.

I will now cover the issue of adoption in greater detail since it has been raised more than once now.

Many adoptive children grow up feeling bitter and resentful of their biological parents, even as they grow and mature into adults. These feelings are rooted in the abandonment that children feel they have suffered from. The adoptive parents sometimes can influence this outlook, but it remains a risk that a biological parent faces when choosing to give up her child.

The adoption process and subsequent loss of a child often leaves the biological parents with a deep sense of loss, according to TheLaborOfLove.com. Grief is likely to set in, and it may reside within a parent for years after the adoption. Some individuals may continue to be haunted by their decision to give their child up for adoption, feeling haunted and regretful of their decision--regardless of whether it was the right decision at the time of the adoption.

TheLabourOfLove.com

http://www.livestrong.com...
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
a fetus does have brain waves, but some people do have brain waves, but their brain waves don't help their body work, and does not send sensors through their body making them unable to feel or know what is going on. I know these things because I took human growth and development my freshmen year of highschool.
Posted by skipsaweirdo 1 year ago
skipsaweirdo
So I assume you are going to remove feel no pain from your argument in the future. Wanna prove they have no consciousness? What is it to "have consciousness".? If a person has brain waves but are in a coma do they have consciousness? If not, prove it. Fetuses have detectable brain waves at 6 weeks, do they have consciousness then, Prove the contrary since that is your claim.....
Posted by famousdebater 1 year ago
famousdebater
They don't feel pain. They cannot think. They have no consciousness and that isn't my only argument. If these were the reasons alone then that would be different but they aren't.
Posted by skipsaweirdo 1 year ago
skipsaweirdo
The pro made statement about feeling pain. There are people currently alive who feel no pain. They have CIP. So by that logic its ok to kill something as long as they don't feel pain...ooops....bad argument.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
i thought u meant me
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
Because that's who I was referring to. I didn't give a gender specific pronoun for you.
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
Are you soccerisfun?
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
I am a girl thank you very much
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
Zanomi stated that, and so I didn't say there was any problem with their reasoning on arguments. soccerisfun gave entirely separate reasons for it, ones that were problematic, as I explained. Even if I'm ignoring that, though, he has to justify source points, which he didn't.
Posted by selena16 1 year ago
selena16
thank you
@famousdebater
Vote Placed by Bosoxfaninla 1 year ago
Bosoxfaninla
selena16famousdebaterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided a lot of factual based evidence while the con seemed to be more opinion based. Pro overall had a stronger argument, along with better grammar/spelling.