RaulDuke
adrianbgo

Abortion

adrianbgo

RaulDuke

Pro

Most people when they hear about an unwanted pregnancy, they are so fast to hang the man out to dry. The automatic assumption is the man knocked her up and then took off so what a bad person he is. Granted, this is an accurate description of what happens some of the time. What about when a pregnancy occurs and neither the man or the women is truly to blame. Say there is a situation of failed birth control or any other reason that results in a pregnancy that is not due to negligence. A woman has the sole authority to make a decision to bring a life into this world, and to force a man to be a part of it. If a pregnancy occurs and it is unwanted, a man should have the right to one, force a woman to get an abortion, or two not have to be involved in anyway, (especially economically) if the woman chooses to have the baby. A pregnancy that happens out of shear bad luck should not subject someone who is rational enough to realize having a baby at random is life ruining, to be forced into that scenario. if a woman wants to do something illogical due to her own beliefs based on whatever nonsense, a man should not be dragged along without even having a say.
adrianbgo

Con

I understand and acknowledge your concern for the financial and emotional well-being of the man involved. I applaud it, in fact. However, the fact remains that it takes two individuals to become pregnant. If a man and a woman decide to have sex, even on birth control, they should go into it knowing the facts. Even if they are using an implant or IUD, there is still anywhere from a 0.2-0.8% chance of unexpected pregnancy . However, implants are often expensive or uncomfortable, so often couples use less expensive and more readily available means of contraception, the most effective of which (Contraceptive injections) still leaves a 6% chance of pregnancy (http://www.cdc.gov...).

If the parents do not assess the risks beforehand, then it is both of their fault that there is a baby. The only exception to this is in the case of sexual assault, which I am not including. When making my arguments, I refer only to two consenting individuals who decide to have sex. Therefore, it is my view that the decision to abort a pregnancy should be a mutual agreement. Additionally, since the male was consenting enough to engage in the sex act, he should be consenting enough to accept any and all consequences.
RaulDuke

Pro

I understand what you are saying that abstinence is the only 100% effective way of avoiding pregnancy. What i am talking about is when two consenting adults that do not want to have a baby have sex and a baby results. This is no longer the middle ages where religion rules all and sex is only allowed between married couples. In modern time with modern medicine and the likelihood that non-married, adults with no intentions of starting a family are going to have sex the rules should change from what they were. I agree that both parties should be responsible for the outcome but one person should not have all the power to make the decisions. Before the act is made, if neither side is intending to make a baby, and a pregnancy results, the man and the women equally should decide what to do. the man should not be at the mercy of what ever the woman wants to do.
adrianbgo

Con

Expanding upon a few of your statements this round, abstinence is the only 100% guarantee of no child. Therefore, everyone should know that if they consent to engage in a sex act, whether married or unmarried, there is a chance of conception. Therefore, I think that a man's consent to contribute to that act should be respected as his commitment to the possibility of a child.

Expanding upon my last point, in the event of a conception, it is, in terms of physical responsibility, a much larger commitment on the part of the mother. A man has the physical ability to walk away, whereas a woman doesn't really have the choice to walk away from the baby (except in the case of an abortion, which I will touch on in a moment). Therefore, if the mother wishes to keep the baby, both parents should have an equal responsibility in the child-bearing and child-rearing. Since the woman is the one with the child inside her, she has the right and the responsibility to ensure that the father does not abandon the child.

However, in the case of abortion, this should be a mutual decision, but ultimately the woman's choice, for the same reasons stated above.

To conclude this phase of my argument, the woman has the right and responsibility to obtain from the man the resources necessary to bear and rear the child that he chose to whose conception he chose to contribute.
RaulDuke

Pro

RaulDuke forfeited this round.
adrianbgo

Con

Since there are no new arguments for me to expand upon, I feel that this debate would be remiss without my stating that the only information that I have about the female opinion on the matter comes from statistics, data, surveys, and the like. Only a woman can definitively say for sure how she feels in terms of her right to request resources from her significant other. Therefore, if you are female and do not agree with my points, feel free to express your opinion, that way I have more information to go off of if, and when, I take part in a debate on abortion again.
RaulDuke

Pro

RaulDuke forfeited this round.
adrianbgo

Con

Unfortunately, yet again there are no more arguments to attempt to refute. Therefore, I would like to thank Raul for presenting such an engaging argument. I like the different twist it took on the classic Abortion debate, and I certainly had fun debating it.
Posted by donald.keller 1 year ago
donald.keller
I hate when people say "I find your statement/belief disgusting." Bad news, mate... The world's disgusting, and it don't care if you find it offensive.
Posted by debate4321 1 year ago
debate4321
I understand what you are saying in your argument. Lets say a girl purposely gets knocked up because she knows a guy is wealthy, how is that fair to the guy to pay child support for the next 18 years? Having a child has a huge effect on your life, and if a female says she wants to terminate a pregnancy it is okay but if the guy says that then it isn"t? I am not sure how fair that is. On the other hand saying "a man should have the right to one, force a woman to get an abortion" just sounds a little extreme. I don"t know where I stand on this issue, but I definitely understand your point.
Posted by YaHey 1 year ago
YaHey
I think that a better title for this debate would be, "Men have the right to force a woman to abort a pregnancy", as, for instance, I believe in the right to abortion but I find your statement absolutely disgusting.
Posted by Peepette 1 year ago
Peepette
If you feel you are mature enough to have sex as a male, you should be mature enough to take on responsibility for the outcome; otherwise keep it in your pants.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
RaulDukeadrianbgoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.