Gdougie
ItsSnowingInColorado

Abortion

Gdougie

Gdougie

Con

I will be debating that Abortion is wrong and should be stopped. I will be taking the pro-life stance. I will give supportive evidence through the Bible, websites, personal opinions, etc.

The rules are as follows:

Round 1: Opening Statement

Round 2-3: Debate/rebuttals

Round 4: Debate/rebuttals/closing statement

I look forward to a respectful debate. Anyone that would like to take the pro-choice stance, please accept this challenge.

*Opening Statement*

Abortion is the ending of pregnancy by removing a fetus or embryo before it can survive outside the uterus (A). This definition contains the word "survive". This suggests that a fetus or embryo is living while inside the uterus. By taking out this fetus or embryo before it can survive outside the uterus, it ends the babies life.

We are the United States of America. Why are we allowing murderous organizations, such as Planned Parenthood, to kill our next generation without giving them a chance. The Declaration of Independence states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." We are entitled life in the United States. That means anything that is living, including a fetus or embryo, is also entitled life. We as a country need to realize that we are murdering our next generation without giving them a chance.

(A)https://en.wikipedia.org...Abortion
ItsSnowingInColorado

Pro

In order to draw a conclusion abortion is murder, one has to clearly define what constitutes life on a cellular level.

Philosophically speaking this seems like a simple question. However practically when one investigates the scientific nature of life this question becomes extremely difficult to define.

All life on this planet is made of cells. Simplistically speaking, a cell is a protein based robot to small to be self aware. It has a wall that separates it from its surrounding environment, creating an internal order, it regulates itself and attempts to maintain a constant state, it eats to stay alive, it grows and develops. It reacts to the environment, and it is subject to evolution. It has the ability to replicate itself.

Of all the components of a cell. What part is alive? Chemicals react forming reactions, which start other reactions. In a single cell, every second several million chemical reactions take place. A cell can build several thousand types of proteins. Some very simple, some complex micro machines. But there is no part of a cell, whether it be in a human cell or a plant cell that one can fundamentally claim, is alive. Ever part of a cell is made of seemingly "dead" matter, which are moved by the laws of the universe.

Without being able to clearly define what part of a single cell is alive it is difficult to assign life and therefore rights to a cell.

So I pose the question what part of a cell is alive? How does one define life on a cellular level. How does a certain sequence of nucleic acids give one extra rights and protections?

I am curious as to your insights on why a single fertilized cell or a very small cluster of cells should be provided the same rights and protections as a full formed adult.

In so far as debating the ethics and morality of later term abortion, this certainly is an area that receives a lot of attention.

However before we even reach that level of discussion, I must ask, do you believe abortion is fundamentally murder at all stages, or just the later stages of fetal development.

Using the Declaration of Independence, a break up letter to the British Empire, 240 years later, to assign life to a cell so small the founding fathers lacked the technology to even observe, let alone did not even know existed... Is this wise?

However this seems like asking the founding fathers advice for setting a law for the maximum the speed limit for automobiles, or flight regulations...
Gdougie

Con

I appreciate my opponents opinion on this issue. However, I don't think life is as complicated as portrayed by the pro's response above.

When God created us, man and woman might I add, all that took for a living being to come alive was a breath from the Lord.

" So breath is life, and when life is breathed into the earthen vessel that is a human body, it comes alive." -Genesis 2:7

Now, the complexity of your argument is impressive. But life is not complicated, you're either dead or alive. You pose the question:

"How does one define life on a cellular level. How does a certain sequence of nucleic acids give one extra rights and protections?"

The truth is it just is not that complicated! I believe life begins at conception, I'll attach a link that supports what my argument is. But when God breathes the breath of life into us, I say we are alive.

You ask when I believe abortion is murder, and my answer to that question is simple. No matter when the abortion takes place during a pregnancy, it is ALWAYS murder.

The question now is how do we prove that we are alive at the point of conception? Well, my answer to that question is also very simple. Whether you believe life begins at conception or not, why are we gambling with a babies life? Why are we just accepting the fact that the baby might not be alive, when there is chance it might be? I can't justify aborting babies that might be living. Look up the Planned Parenthood videos, that will change your mind about abortion.

You bring up the Declaration of Independence, and how our founding fathers would change there position based on what was known at the time about "science".

"However this seems like asking the founding fathers advice for setting a law for the maximum the speed limit for automobiles, or flight regulations..."

Do you really believe that if the founding fathers had the ability of abortion they still would not guarantee us life? I find that hard to believe.

When you compare life to speed limits and flight regulations, I don't really think you are intending to. I know you mistyped that. I can't imagine comparing life to regulations. It's unimaginable.

https://www.princeton.edu...
ItsSnowingInColorado

Pro

ItsSnowingInColorado forfeited this round.
Gdougie

Con

My opponent forfeits the previous round.

I would like to use this round to discuss why I am pro life.

I believe that every individual has the right to live. I believe we are endowed by the Lord with life, and that if the Lord wants to take our life he will do it himself, not with the decision of one of his sons or daughters.

If we aren't even guaranteed with one of our most basic rights (life), what is this country/world?

I ask that if anyone wants to take me on as an opponent they challenge me to a debate over this issue.

Please vote con!
ItsSnowingInColorado

Pro

Gdougie

Con

My opponent forfeits. Please vote con.
ItsSnowingInColorado

Pro

Posted by whiteflame 8 months ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: ZachZimmey// Mod action: Removed<

7 point to Con. Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture

[*Reason for removal*] The voter doesn't explain Arguments, Sources or S&G.
************************************************************************
Posted by Jacob_badger 8 months ago
Jacob_badger
abortion is all chance if you don't abort I understand that however the people treat the fetus like it's just a blob of tissue and in some cases that's what it is but who knows could you give it a chance to be a human and then let it do something with itself let it live a life it may be a bad person or a good person it's all chance and I say you give it that chance to live let it breathe
Posted by whiteflame 8 months ago
whiteflame
>Reported vote: dsjpk5// Mod action: NOT Removed<

1 points to Con (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.

[*Reason for non-removal*] The voter is allowed to award conduct on the basis of forfeits.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 8 months ago
WhineyMagiciann5
I understand your argument of chance but your other one could possibly discredit your cause "... but you're still not giving it a chance to become a human and change the world" specifically the change the world part. for the next part, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, I'm just addressing argument you MIGHT have that are related to that statement.
I have always heard people say "what if that child was the next president or cures cancer, ect"
well what if that child is the next dictator or serial killer.
remember I'm not saying you said this. I'm just addressing arguments related to that statement.
Posted by Jacob_badger 8 months ago
Jacob_badger
I understand that it's not a human being but you're still not giving it a chance to become a human and change the world
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 8 months ago
WhineyMagiciann5
also to gdougie this sentence "I will give supportive evidence through the Bible, websites, personal opinions, etc." you cant really use personaly opinions and the bible as evidence.
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 8 months ago
WhineyMagiciann5
@Jacob_baddger I hate to say this and I completely respect your opinion but a fetus is not a human.
Posted by Jacob_badger 8 months ago
Jacob_badger
Abortion is wrong you are taking away the chance of a living breathing human being that could change the world just give them a chance it's not their fault so don't take it out on them. I understand that if a girl got raped she wouldn't want a rapists baby I say you go through with the birth and put them up for adoption if you don't want them
Posted by ItsSnowingInColorado 8 months ago
ItsSnowingInColorado
I am curious about peoples thoughts about abortion, never really understood why it is such a point of conflict. It seems to one of those issues used to distract people, and is used to rally troops to parties that ultimately screw them over.

The world has bigger problems, but I am bored so what the hell.
Posted by Gdougie 8 months ago
Gdougie
I argue that abortion is wrong in every circumstance.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 8 months ago
dsjpk5
GdougieItsSnowingInColoradoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro ff many times, so conduct to Con.