bunnycoco
fe99

Abortion

bunnycoco

Pro

Waiting for fe99 to accept
fe99

Con

ok, how do you want to do this???
bunnycoco

Pro

I guess this a little informal and more of a question regarding your stance on Abortion.

You say "you make it you keep it".

What if you didn't make it?

What if you were raped? and every day for the rest of your life the child is a constant reminder. A reminder of that night, when you were drugged or jumped. Violated. Nothing was the same afterwards. Then you fell pregnant. And you didn't even have a say over your own body over your own life. So you carry out those nine months. Knowing the child is of a man you didn't know, a by-product of the worst breach of privacy possible.

Then the child is born. Do you keep it, or put it up for adoption? Lets say she keeps it. She raises the child. Knowing one half is hers and the other half is made up of something inexplicably evil. Would my child become him. Would my son be his fathers son, will my daughter have the same fate as me - with no right to choice?? And you can't look at your child. Because you don't recognize the smile on its face. It isn't a trait of mine so it must make it a trait of his. I am fair haired but my child is dark haired. And when people ask me does he look more like his father? What do i say? So my child grows up with resentment. Over an unloving and distant mother. Dreaming of its father, wondering what he was like and maybe he'd have this parental love for me. All the while you can't simply tell the child it was an result of rape. Because what kind of life would that child live? It is not an after effect of pure love, but an output of an attack by an violent man.
fe99

Con

Fetuses feel pain during the abortion procedure. Maureen Condic, PhD, Associate Professor of Neurobiology and Anatomy and Adjunct Associate Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Utah School of Medicine, explains that the "most primitive response to pain, the spinal reflex," is developed by eight weeks gestation, and adds that "There is universal agreement that pain is detected by the fetus in the first trimester." [18] According to Kanwaljeet J. S. Anand, MBBS, DPhil, Professor of Pediatrics, Anesthesiology and Neurobiology at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center, "If the fetus is beyond 20 weeks of gestation, I would assume that there will be pain caused to the fetus. And I believe it will be severe and excruciating pain." [24] Bernard N. Nathanson, MD, the late abortion doctor who renounced his earlier work and became a pro-life activist, stated that when an abortion is performed on a 12-week-old fetus, "We see [in an ultrasound image] the child"s mouth open in a silent scream... This is the silent scream of a child threatened imminently with extinction

Abortion is murder. The killing of an innocent human being is wrong, even if that human being has yet to be born. Unborn babies are considered human beings by the US government. The federal Unborn Victims of Violence Act, which was enacted "to protect unborn children from assault and murder," states that under federal law, anybody intentionally killing or attempting to kill an unborn child should "be punished... for intentionally killing or attempting to kill a human being." The act also states that an unborn child is a "member of the species homo sapiens." [126] At least 38 states have passed similar fetal homicide laws.

http://abortion.procon.org...
bunnycoco

Pro

This is abortion after 20 weeks. This is in the case of a late abortion. What I would like to see is scientific journals, with results, evidence and discussion on the matter. Early abortion could be eliminating the suffering of a child, be it mental, physically or emotionally.

From the Journal of the American Medical Association, "Neither withdrawal reflexes nor hormonal stress responses to invasive procedures prove the existence of fetal pain, because they can be elicited by nonpainful stimuli and occur without conscious cortical processin" (Lee, S. et. At.,2005). Therefore, when someone suggests that the fetus is reaching out, "crying out" etc., it has no correlation with pain responses.

"Electroencephalography suggests the capacity for functional pain perception in preterm neonates does not exist before 29 or 30 weeks." (Lee, S. et. At.,2005). Approx. 1.4% of abortions are performed at or after 21 weeks" gestational age, which we have establish is still unusual and unlikely to cause pain.

The Spinal Reflex:
Nociception = A nociceptor is a sensory nerve cell that responds to damaging or potentially damaging stimuli by sending signals to the spinal cord and brain. This process, called nociception, may cause the perception of pain in sentient beings.
Reflex responses to noxious stimuli occur early in development, before thalamocortical circuits are functional; noxious stimuli trigger reflex movement without cortical involvement.

If abortion is limited to the 16th week in a gestation period, where evidence suggests there is no pain perception. Would you still call us murderers? Where this is the best option, the only option? For example: rape victims, terminally ill women who who cannot carry to term, pregnancies where the fetus has been determined with an illness that will leave it with limited mental capacity, with a short and painful life span? If abortion is murder then surely permitting this life to a child is torture?

I have run out! links in comments
fe99

Con

Abortions reduce the number of adoptable babies. Instead of having the option to abort, women should give their unwanted babies to people who cannot conceive. The percentage of infants given up for adoption in the United States declined from 9% of those born before 1973 to 1% of those born between 1996 and 2002. [53] As a result of the lack of women putting their children up for adoption, the number of US infant adoptions dropped from about 90,000 in 1971 to 18,000 in 2007. [46] Around 2.6 million American women were trying to adopt children as of 2002, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services. [76]

If women become pregnant, they should accept the responsibility that comes with producing a child. People need to take responsibility for their actions and accept the consequences. Having sexual intercourse, even when contraceptive methods are used, carries with it the risk of a pregnancy. [128] The unborn baby should not be punished for a mistake made by adults. If women are unprepared to care for their children, they should at least put them up for adoption.

Abortion may lead to future medical problems for the mother. A June 2003 study published by the peer-reviewed International Journal of Epidemiology estimated that about 15% of first-trimester miscarriages are attributed to a prior history of induced abortion, and stated that "Induced abortion by vacuum aspiration is associated with an increased risk of first-trimester miscarriage in the subsequent pregnancy." [34] A 2013 Chinese study published in the peer-reviewed Indian Journal of Cancer found an association between breast cancer and a history of abortions [71]. A Feb. 2014 study published in the peer-reviewed Cancer Causes and Control found that abortion "is significantly associated with an increased risk of breast cancer" and that "the risk of breast cancer increases as the number of [abortions] increases." [72]

http://abortion.procon.org...

Thank you to Pro for making this debate

Fe99
Posted by bunnycoco 7 months ago
bunnycoco
unfortunately I could not post my full argument. An over sight on my part, for having set the characters at 2,000. I tried to summarize it best i could.

I would like to thank fe99 for taking this debate and for an insightful and worth argument.

sources:
http://jama.jamanetwork.com...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
http://www.salon.com...
http://go.galegroup.com...|A18775292&sid=googleScholar&v=2.1&it=r&linkaccess=fulltext&issn=17592151&p=AONE&sw=w&authCount=1&isAnonymousEntry=true