RyanARush
NotPurpleHaze

Abortion

Con Tied Pro

RyanARush

Con

For the sake of this debate I have taken the position of being against the very controversial issue that is abortion. Personally I am oppose to abortion. I believe that taking the life of a human being, or soon to be human being, is always an evil, never a good*. However, if one looks at my profile they will see, under my opinions on political issues, that I am undecided on this issue and I truly am. I very much would like to discuss this issue and maybe through this will I come to a verdict of rather or not I am for abortion or against.

Does a woman have the right to do anything she wants to her body? Or is/should an abortion be consider as murder since one is taking the life of a child or soon to be child.

Abortion: the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus [1]
Debate: a contention by words or arguments: as a : the formal discussion of a motion [2]

Let this be a formal [3] and civilized discussion, nothing more, nothing less. I will not accept name calling and or puns for the negative. Terms such as "baby killer!" and others will not be permitted in this debate. I respect the opinions of those who see abortion as an okay and just thing to do. I believe that greatest tool in a debate is accepting the fact that you may loose and if you do not accept the fact that you may loose then you will never win.

So with out further delay I would like to open this debate to the honorable gentlemen or madame to answer my question: should abortion, of any kind, be legal under the law in the United States of America?

* The only time I would personally seek an abortion for someone is in the case of if the child and/or children endanger the livelihood of the mother, in the case of rape, or in the case of incest.
[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
NotPurpleHaze

Pro

resolution: Abortion should be legal

Is that ok with you?

Since he has provided no argument I'll start with these simple arguments:

1. A fetus is not a human, so it shouldn't be against the law.

2. The mother has the right to decide whether she wants a child or not, because raising a child is hard work.

3. We kill things all the time. Having an abortion is the same as wearing a condom.

I'll let you take it from there.
RyanARush

Con

First of all I would like to thank the honorable gentleman for accepting this debate. I thank you for that, Sean. Hopefully we can have a just, productive, and civilized discussion on this topic.

I would like the audience and the honorable gentleman, Sean, to take note that this is not a rule-by-rule debate, for I am neutral on this matter, therefore I posted no opening argument for the gentleman to rebuttal on. However, I am more leaning to pro-life therefore taking the con stance on this debate.

I opened this debate with a question and I quote "should abortion, of any kind, be legal under the law in the United States of America" the gentleman responded with his resolution of "Abortion should be legal", since my question stated "of any kind" and the gentleman answered with "abortion should be legal" I assume that he means all abortions should be legal, basing that off my question. I ask the honorable gentleman to clarify when he states "abortion should be legal", any kind of abortion? I will continue this rebuttal onto his argument 1.

1. "A fetus is not a human, so it shouldn't be against the law." That is a bold statement, because the debate on when the human life begins is still very much disputed, however that is not the topic of this debate and I will not continue to pursue it. I will give the gentleman the benefit of the doubt that a fetus is not a human being; therefore it is not taking a human life. But the fetus does have the potential of life; therefore the one getting the abortion is taking away the potential of life. I would like to clarify for the audience what the dictionary states on what a fetus is: an unborn or unhatched vertebrate especially after attaining the basic structural plan of its kind; specifically : a developing human from usually two months after conception to birth [1]. Since the honorable gentleman did not state rather or not he believes that all abortions should be legal I will assume that he does on the single fact that "of any kind" was in my opening question. Since I gave Sean the benefit of the doubt that a fetus is not a human being, this means that it is not murder, however an abortion does not have to take place in the very early stages of the pregnancy, it can be done almost at anytime, thus said the honorable gentleman supports abortion throughout, assuming, and if a woman chooses to have a late term abortion then she is as of fact taking the life of a human being which I believe goes against the United States Constitution because, and I quote "they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." [2] we have the right to live in this country therefore taking the life of an innocent human being is wrong and unconstitutional, which is highly against the law. So I will ask the honorable gentleman to clarify for me and the audience on his stance on abortions happening in the late term of a pregnancy.

2. "The mother has the right to decide whether she wants a child or not, because raising a child is hard work." The mother also had the choice on rather or not she would take part in sexual intercourse, therefore she knew the consequences of potentially getting pregnant and she chose to have sex anyways. Yes, raising a child is hard work, but if she didn't want to have a child then she shouldn't have had sex*. Everything in life has an equal positive and negative reaction, and we have to learn to face both of them. She knew that by having sex she could get pregnant, she had a choice and she chose to have sex anyways, therefore she indirectly chose to also carry the burden of the child, if it happens to be that way.

3. "We kill things all the time. Having an abortion is the same as wearing a condom." The gentleman is stating that because a large amount of people do something it makes it right. This is not true. If everyone raped a child, would that make it okay since we are "all" doing it? I think not, I know not. Wearing a condom is different from having an abortion. You see a condom is to prevent a pregnancy. An abortion is to stop one.

I leave the floor to the honorable gentleman.

* If in a case of rape and/or maybe some other extreme cases this fact may vary.
[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.ushistory.org...
NotPurpleHaze

Pro

NotPurpleHaze forfeited this round.
RyanARush

Con

The gentleman has chose to not respond to his second round. He has also chose to close his account here on Debate.org, therefore forfeiting the debate. I hoped that this debate would have been a productive one, however it started that way, it did not end that way. I encourage the audience to vote for CON, myself, since I stood my ground and did not choose to take a coward way out. Thank you for starting this debate Sean and I am sorry you chose to end it prematurely. Take care.

Live Hard. Love Harder.

~ Ryan A. Rush
NotPurpleHaze

Pro

NotPurpleHaze forfeited this round.
Posted by RyanARush 6 years ago
RyanARush
Well you were taught one way to debate, I was taught another. It is my choice the way and how I speak. I used respect. I believe it is more respectful to speak directly to the person, to show that you know that he/she is there. One should already know that a debate is not personal, in the sense of the two or more debaters. If you take it personal, without any just reason, then one should not debate. If you do not want to take that, then I have nothing else for you.
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
I think it is best to use "my opponent" or "Pro/Con." Debate should be impersonal to keep it clear that you are attacking your opponent's arguments, not attacking him personally. In a debate, I think it's more respectful to keep some distance, not that it really matters on this site.

I rather like British Parliamentary mock politeness, "my esteemed colleague has an elliptical regard for the truth." ... but not for a debate.
Posted by RyanARush 6 years ago
RyanARush
Well I would feel that I would be disrespecting the gentleman by calling him Mr. NotPurpleHaze, therefore I reverted to calling him the honorable gentleman, which is the most respect I can give. When I debate/talk/discuss with a gentleman or lady I like to do it in person so I can look in their eyes. Called my "old fashion" but if you cannot look a man in the eye then you have no right in talking to him. I used the utmost respect for the honorable gentleman and will do so with any other, even those who do not respect me. And I thank you for your comment.

Ryan A. Rush
Posted by RoyLatham 6 years ago
RoyLatham
Ryn, Yeah, it's odd that NotPurleHaze would close his account. Suggest that you repost the topic with a clear resolution and an affirmative case for whatever you select for the resolution you are supporting. You will have no trouble getting someone to debate the pro-choice side. If you want to chat rather than debate, I suggest you start a thread on Forums > Society or the like.

I think it' best not to press people for their real names. If they want to give their real name it will be in their profile. The internet being what it is, it is reasonable to want to use an alias to avoid harassment.
Posted by RyanARush 6 years ago
RyanARush
"NotPurpleHaze" has closed his account. What a foul thing to do.
Posted by NotPurpleHaze 6 years ago
NotPurpleHaze
Sorry about the wait. I'm easily distracted.
Posted by RyanARush 6 years ago
RyanARush
May I inquire a last name, Sean?
Posted by NotPurpleHaze 6 years ago
NotPurpleHaze
I'm Sean.
Posted by RyanARush 6 years ago
RyanARush
Sorry if I rushed you, I was just making sure. Take your time and if you don't mind I would like to know your name. I think it is fair to ask for that. If you don't want to give your full name then please give at least your last name, so I can address you. My, as you can tell by my username, is Ryan A. Rush. Thanks.
Posted by NotPurpleHaze 6 years ago
NotPurpleHaze
I've been busy. I'll have my first argument up shortly.
Vote Placed by RyanARush 6 years ago
RyanARush
RyanARushNotPurpleHazeTied