angel_with_horns
Foucault

Abortion

angel_with_horns has forfeited round #2.

angel_with_horns

Con

Homicide is the deliberate taking of a person"s life by another person. If someone commits homicide, they can be put in prison for a life sentence, or under certain circumstances be executed. Abortion is the deliberate "procedure" of taking an unborn baby's life. The key word is deliberate. In both cases however, someone"s life is taken by another person on purpose. In 1973, the supreme court"s decision over Roe Vs Wade effectively legalized abortion in all fifty states, opening abortion clinics all over the nation. Norma McCorvey, also know as Jane Roe, was dragged into the Roe vs Wade case. She wanted an abortion, and it was this that led to her being behind the Supreme Court"s ruling. She says it is the number one regret in her life. She wishes she had known what she was getting into.. She hates that because of her abortion is legal. In other words, murder is legal. If the person behind the thousands of Planned Parenthood's is Pro Life, shouldn"t that mean something? Anything? Or even everything?
Foucault

Pro

No, in fact, the names used as the heading for the Supreme Court case Roe V Wade are meaningless. It doesn't matter that one person involved with the case has changed her mind. The key here is when life begins. You contend, I assume, that life begins at conception. At which point an embryo is merely half egg, half sperm. As I mentioned before, 99% of abortions occur in the first trimester. When the embryo is the size of a bean. Most states regulate abortion at 20 weeks, just after the embryo's nervous system has started to form. I agree with this logic, as well as with exceptions for rape, life of the mother, etc.

It is statistical fact that outlawing abortion will only increase illegal and unsafe abortions. Besides, 1 in 5 children live in poverty today. It seems anti-abortionists care only for a child's life until it is out of the womb. Abortions should be limited by providing free birth control and sex education across the country. But any decision dealing with a person's body is that person's choice alone.
Posted by Foucault 3 months ago
Foucault
How about being more concerned for the starving children outside the womb?
Posted by CuriousFear 3 months ago
CuriousFear
How about not having sex if you can't handle a baby?
Posted by Foucault 3 months ago
Foucault
I appreciate your passion and hope my debate with angel with horns continues.

Just to clarify your views, should the birth control pill be considered abortion? Because when my wife takes hers, she's destroying her egg and my sperm, which is the moment of conception apparently.

Also, consider this: you have a chance to save one thing from a fire. A five year old child or a 10 week old fetus. Remember, the fetus has no brain function and no nervous system.

That was my point on poverty. Force women to become pregnant and then saddle them with carrying for the child for life.
Posted by KZC 3 months ago
KZC
I kind of like this debate and really want to argue some points.
-I am pro-life but more specifically anti-abortion
-The moment of conception, a new human is created
-Abortion should only be allowed when the mother's life is in danger
-Poverty doesn't justify abortion; if pro continues to use this argument, I will argue that children should be killed to lower the number of poverty. Like it? probably not
-Women choice is a lame excuse. What about the baby's choice?
-The baby is not part of the women, they are two separate entities distinguished by their DNA and blood
-First-trimester abortion is still abortion there isn't a ranking in which abortion is good or bad