chazzerz17
madness

Abortion

chazzerz17 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

chazzerz17

Con

Abortion is wrong and cruel. It's proven science that fetuses have beating hearts and are human, which means killing them is called "MURDER". I'll say it again. MUR-DER. Hillary Clinton during the 3rd presidential debate stated that we cannot be forcing women to give birth to children. She called the unborn babies "children"? So know we are killing innocent children and the government is wasting people's hard earned money on it. That's outrageous! When people make the claim they want "women's healthcare" they really mean abortion. No human has the right to kill another innocent human, the law says that. I pro-life not pro-murder.
madness

Pro

I will be arguing for abortion up to 24 weeks of pregnancy. Anything after 24 weeks is illegal. Regardless, terminating the foetus before 24 weeks is still an abortion and that's where I will be arguing for the right to abort.

I would like to look at y opponents opening argument and point out some false claims.

My opponent says:
"Hillary Clinton during the 3rd presidential debate stated that we cannot be forcing women to give birth to children. She called the unborn babies "children"? So know we are killing innocent children"

A child by definition, is a human being between the stages of birth and puberty. From this we can dismiss his claim that "we are killing innocent children."

My opponent makes another claim:
"the government is wasting people's hard earned money on it. That's outrageous!"

I will dismiss the above claim by saying, Planned Parenthood offers their abortion pill for 800.00 dollars. Although in some states it does cost to get an abortion, there are some where you can get one for free. This is not an issue with abortion, but rather an issue with the laws that allow abortions to be available for free.

My opponent always says:
"It's proven science that fetuses have beating hearts and are human, which means killing them is called "MURDER"."

Murder by definition is to "kill (someone) unlawfully and with premeditation." (This definition was from the English Oxford dictionary and can be found on line.)
I will dismiss my opponents claim that abortion is murder. Are we killing a foetus? Yes, but is that foetus "Someone?" No. A foetus under the age of 24 weeks, has a brain so under developed that conciousness cannot form. Without consciousness a foetus can not be called someone/somebody.
In order for killing to be considered murder, by definition, it would have to be unlawful. Abortion is legal and therefore not unlawful.
This is enough to conclude that, legally and by definition abortion can not be considered murder.

These points my opponent made, were the only things I considered most worthy to dismiss. I will now move onto reasons why abortion should be legal, I will make this as concise as I can.

Abortion is needed, where a pregnancy is the result of a crime, such as crimes like rape, incest, or child abuse. Would you force a mother to unwilling keep her baby after a case like this? If so then how disgusting, that child would serve as a constant reminder of the traumatic experience she went through.

Abortion is needed, for the sake of the mother's health, including her mental health. If a mother was without a doubt going to die because of giving birth to a child, then surly abortion would be the only option to save her life. How can you deny her life and force her to be a human sacrifice for this foetus? Again I will say that would make you disgusting.

Abortion is needed,where the child of the pregnancy would have an ' unacceptable quality of life' such as cases where the child would haven serious physical handicaps, serious genetic problems, serious mental defects. Due to serious defects at birth, it's possible for a child to be born with conditions, that will handicap that child to the point where their life would be no life at all. If you factor that in with the mother having to dedicate the rest of her life to looking after this child's painful life, you then see that 2 miserable lives are created.

Outlaw abortion, and more children will bear children. Many 14-year-old girls DO become pregnant before they turn 20. This could happen to your daughter or someone else close to you. Here are the critical questions: Should the penalty for lack of knowledge or even for a moment's carelessness be enforced pregnancy and childrearing? Or dangerous illegal abortion? Should we consign a teenager to a life sentence of joblessness, hopelessness, and dependency?

To conclude my argument I will simply say, abortion is legal for a reason, it serves many beneficial purposes to the lives of women. Without being able to get an abortion many lives would suffer. You might be Pro life, but to be pro life you must also be pro suffering.

I would like to thank my opponent for opening this debate, I look forward to their response.