Kelisitaan
ChadIrvin

Abortion

Kelisitaan

Pro

A woman has the right to choose what she wants to do with her body. Therefore, abortion is accepted.

Rules: No new arguments in R4. If you forfeit a round you automatically lose.
ChadIrvin

Con

I will accept the con side of this debate.

Abortion is the taking of an innocent life that is growing and maturing inside the body of another human being. If abortion is right, as pro has clearly stated, then what type of morality are we judging the set of guidelines on?

I could argue that life begins at conception, but I'll leave that alone for now and just base my arguments on facts.

Fact #1) Heartbeats are detected as early as 4 weeks.

Fact #2) Brain activity begins as early as 8 weeks.

Fact #3) When a crime such as murder is committed against a pregnant woman in the United States, the individual committing the crime will be charged with multiple murders, not one.
Kelisitaan

Pro

Abortion is not killing innocent life. Rather, it's letting a woman control her own body. Abortion is accepted because a woman has the right to choose what she wants to do with her body.

The fetus needs the body of the mother to survive. If human A needs a part of human B to survive, e.g. a kidney transplant, it is entirely up to human B whether or not he wants to give human A a kidney. Even if human B is dying and his kidneys will rot with him, he decides what to do with his own body. Even if human A's life is at stake and human B's life is already over, with rotting kidney's, it's still human B's right to choose what to do with his dead body.

Is this considered murder? No, of course it's not. Is it a little douchey? Perhaps. Is it acceptable? Yes, a person has the right to do whatever he wants with his body.

If the fetus can survive on its own, then abortion is more of an up in the air debate. However, if the fetus needs the mother's body (which it does), abortion comes down to the simple principal of a woman has the right to choose what she wants to do with her body.

By letting the fetus control a woman's body, you are granting a fetus rights to someone else's body. No one has rights to anyone's body but that person. Period

A fetus needs a mother's body to survive. If the mother does not want to let the fetus use her body, it doesn't have to. The fetus is a part of a parasitic relationship; although its body is affected, it's using the body of the mother to survive.

Yes, the fetus is alive. Agreed. Fact 1-2 agreed. Fact 3, it's murder because as was stated above, a WOMAN decides what to do with her body, not anyone else. If the woman doesn't abort the fetus, it's murder.
ChadIrvin

Con

I will make this brief, since I hadn't realized after going into a lengthy response, that there was a 2,000 word limit on each round of debate.

Pro would like us to believe that abortion is not killing innocent life. I say that it is. A child has been known and documented to survive with extra care outside the womb as early as a couple months, which is in the first trimester. The child can live a full and healthy life after initial treatment for several months afterward.

Pro would also like us to believe that a woman has control of her own body. This is also not entirely true. If a woman is caught prostituting, she will be arrested and fined, depending on the state or the country she resides in. She does not have control of her own body in other cases.

Pro would like to have us believe that a child in the womb is no more important than a kidney or some other organ in our body. Pro compares a human life to a disposable organ, many of which we can live a long and healthy life without.

Pro would also like us to believe that something with brain activity is nothing more than a bunch of cells with no reason to live if the woman decides not to keep them. Brain activity, along with our nervous system, allows us to feel pain. Pro would like us to believe that abortion is just us removing cells from a woman's body.

If pro wants to believe that a fetus controls someone else's body, that's their business. However, it does not control another person's body...it is attached to a woman's body and grows inside until mature enough to leave.

It has been proven that a child in the womb can feel pain by its reaction when tested. Pain is the body's way of telling us that what we're doing to it or what is being done to it, is harmful. That fact right there should be proof that a child in the womb is NOT a random collection of lifeless cells that can be removed forcibly.
Kelisitaan

Pro

To claim that a fetus in the first trimester can survive long term, or even short term without its mother body and live a healthy life is a blatant lie. Maybe it can survive for a couple of days, but that's hardly a healthy life. Argument debunked.

Prostitution should be legal as well. Just because the USA has archaic laws regarding prostitution doesn't mean we should also have archaic laws regarding abortion. We aren't arguing what the laws are; we are arguing what they should be. If we were, then you'd lose the abortion debate since it's legal. Argument debunked.

I never claimed a child in the womb was less important than a kidney. That shows a lack of reading comprehension. I claimed that a woman is not obligated to use her body to save anyone's life, whether it be her fetus or to give someone else a kidney. Argument debunked.

I never claimed a fetus wasn't important; I merely claimed that a woman's right to choose what to do with her body was MORE important. Argument debunked.

Now, have you considered the cost of not letting anyone have an abortion? There are already 100 THOUSAND orphans in the USA, and that is with LEGAL abortion. https://showhope.org...

If abortion were illegal, that number could easily be 1 million. Here are some questions for you:

Who is going to take care of those children? Who is going to pay for it? Do you think that this will have a negative effect on the 100 thousand children waiting to be adopted, or do you not care about them?

Do you know how traumatic it is to live a life where you know you weren't wanted? How do you think that is going to turn out? What about the mother who was forced to have a baby she didn't want? Did you ever consider the consequences of that?
ChadIrvin

Con

In this final round of debate I will only be answering the questions asked by pro and give the reasons why I believe pro to be wrong.

"Now, have you considered the cost of not letting anyone have an abortion?"

The cost is minimal. You believe that children don't have a right to life because you think that child will be stuck in a foster house and be unwanted. While unwanted children IS an issue, it isn't a large enough issue to warrant taking their life before it truly begins outside the womb. Many of these children can go on to become healthy members of society, contributing so much.

"Who is going to take care of those children? Who is going to pay for it?"

I don't believe that hardship cases deserve to be "snuffed out" just because they have a good chance at being orphaned. If a parent can't handle a child, maybe they shouldn't engage in sexual activity until they can. It isn't right, morally, to end an innocent life.

"Do you think that this will have a negative effect on the 100 thousand children waiting to be adopted, or do you not care about them?'

I care about children, which is why I am pro life. Pro abortionists will say they care about children, but if they truly cared, they wouldn't be pro abortion. Abortion is terminating a life before it has a chance. And most abortions are performed out of convenience for the mother, not health reasons or rape. http://abort73.com...

"Do you know how traumatic it is to live a life where you know you weren't wanted? How do you think that is going to turn out?"

A lot less traumatic than being ripped apart while still alive. But then again, you believe the child in the womb isn't even alive. It has been proven that a child in the womb CAN feel pain. http://www.mccl.org...
http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com...

And abortions performed for selfish reasons is worse than because of rape and health.
Kelisitaan

Pro

The cost is not minimal. The average cost to raise a child is $245,340 http://www.huffingtonpost.com.... Multiply that by 1 million and well....Argument debunked

"If a parent can't handle a child, maybe they shouldn't engage in sexual activity until they can. It isn't right, morally, to end an innocent life."

This is a ridiculous statement. Sex is natural and has nothing to do with being able to raise a child. Evolution made sex feel really good so that we would produce. Practically everyone wants to have sex badly. It's a natural desire. Argument debunked.

"I care about children, which is why I am pro life."

No, you are only looking at your side of the picture, rather than considering EVERY piece of evidence, whereas I have weighed both the positives and the negatives of abortion and formulate my argument accordingly. I highly suggest you learn to think objectively.

For example, like I stated, you haven't considered the cost of having tons of unwanted babies. This affects the babies already in an orphanage. You claim to care about children, yet you don't consider the wants and needs of the babies already in an orphanage looking for a home.

As I stated, there are 100k orphans ALREADY. If we become antiabortion, this number will reach ridiculous heights. I mentioned it already but you ignored it so here it is again: how do you think this will affect the children already in the orphanage? Or do you not care about them?

"A lot less traumatic than being ripped apart while still alive. But then again, you believe the child in the womb isn't even alive. It has been proven that a child in the womb CAN feel pain. http://www.mccl.org......
http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com...;

Actually, no. This is untrue. Pain MIGHT be felt for a couple of seconds. To claim this is MORE traumatic than a life time of knowing that you are unwanted is faulty reasoning. Evidence debunked.
ChadIrvin

Con

"The cost is not minimal. The average cost to raise a child is $245,340 http://www.huffingtonpost.com....... Multiply that by 1 million and well....Argument debunked"

You aren't debunking anything. So you believe that ending someone's life and not giving them a chance at life is a better option? This is a disgusting ideal abortionists try to convince themselves and other of. "Let's not be burdened by the cost of a human being due to its inconvenience to others..."

"Sex is natural and has nothing to do with being able to raise a child. Evolution made sex feel really good so that we would produce. Practically everyone wants to have sex badly. It's a natural desire. Argument debunked."

Yes, sex is natural. What, exactly, does that have anything to do with aborting a child? "Sex is fun, so we should just allow anyone to engage in it and then terminate the human growing inside if we don't want to deal with the consequences of our actions."

"No, you are only looking at your side of the picture, rather than considering EVERY piece of evidence,"

Actually, I have, which is why I am pro life.

"As I stated, there are 100k orphans ALREADY. If we become antiabortion, this number will reach ridiculous heights."

Abortion became legal in the United States in 1973. Was there overpopulation before this? No. This argument isn't even relevant.

"Actually, no. This is untrue. Pain MIGHT be felt for a couple of seconds."

No, pain is felt for a while as it bleeds out after being ripped apart limb from limb. And if the fetus is a bunch of cells, how does it feel pain at all? Pain indicates that it is a human life being painfully ended.
Posted by ChadIrvin 1 year ago
ChadIrvin
It's difficult to form a decent debate with only 2,000 characters or less.
Posted by TruthSeeker87 1 year ago
TruthSeeker87
Should the con forfeit, I will gladly tap in.