Jammie
MaximumRide879

Abortion

MaximumRide879 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Jammie

Con

I deliberately left the topic of this debate broad, to avoid contrived and un-passionate arguments. If you are firmly pro-choice, and are passionate about the so called right to choice, then I encourage you to debate me. If you choose to accept, then simply tell me you accept as your first argument, and then we can start.

Good luck.
MaximumRide879

Pro

I believe it is not the government's job to decide what we can or can not do with our bodies. I am personally against abortion, BUT I am still pro-choice because every woman should have the right to choose. And it's not like women just stroll up to a clinic and are like "Hey, I don't want this thing anymore soooo." It's a very traumatic experience and a difficult choice to make.
Jammie

Con

I'm not going to bother to argue why abortion is wrong, as you said yourself that you are against it. If you could clarify specifically what you mean by that I would be grateful. I will do the same. I believe that human life begins at conception, and so a fetus should be treated with the same value as any other life. The only case in which I think an abortion can be justified is in a situation where the mother's life is in danger.

It puzzles me that you think every woman should have the right to choose, even though you are against abortion. If someone held a gun to someone else's head, would you respect their choice to pull the trigger? If you are against murder, than you cannot, as you can see that the life of the victim is more important than the murder's right to pull the trigger. Of course, I could be mistaken as to what your specific view on abortion is, and I am assuming you believe life begins at conception, and it is as important as any other life. If I am wrong, correct me with your response.

'I believe it is not the government's job to decide what we can or can not do with our bodies'

The fetus is not a part of the woman's body. The fetus belongs to the fetus. A pregnant woman is simply carrying the fetus. The fetus has separate DNA to the mother, and will grow up to be unique and different from the mother as well. The only part of the fetus that is connected to the mother's body is through the umbilical chord, but this is just a temporary arrangement. At birth the fetus can survive without the umbilical chord, and therefore the mother.

Continuing my point about the fetus not being a part of the woman's body, let's consider another analogy. (For this analogy I am again assuming you believe life begins at conception, and that all life is equal).

There are two men. Man A has man B tied to his leg. The rope which ties them together cannot be broken, and man B cannot move, let's just say he is paralyzed. If man A doesn't feed man B, man B will die, as he is not capable of feeding himself. However in 9 months, the rope will break and man B will be separate to man A. Man B is not a part of man A's body, he is only attached to man A's body. After 9 months, man A will be without man B, so if man B was part of man A's body he would never come off.

In the same way that man B is separate from man A, and is only temporarily attached, the fetus is not a part of the mother's body,as it is only temporarily attached.

As for your section about the trauma of abortions and the difficult choice, wouldn't you agree that the life of a human should take president over the feelings of it's mother? It may be traumatic, but it's not traumatic enough that women don't have abortions.
Posted by Jammie 1 year ago
Jammie
You're not accepting messages either. Disappointing. Stop wasting people's time. If you didn't want to debate, you shouldn't have accepted.
Posted by Jammie 1 year ago
Jammie
Come on Pro if you're going to forfeit do it properly. You've been online a day ago, no excuse.
Posted by cwt002 1 year ago
cwt002
The same thing could be said about a new born and a 30 year old. I think they are both human beings just at different stages in life. No person can be the same at different stages but I think they each have value.
Posted by TomFP 1 year ago
TomFP
I apologize for the repeated comments, I stupidly kept clicking 'post comment' because my internet connection was slow.
Posted by TomFP 1 year ago
TomFP
Many false equivalencies with the argument. A fetus isn't a person the same way 30 year old man is a person. A fetus hasn't experienced life, has no concepts of its existence, has never loved, experienced joy, established any values, or anything that would be considered descriptors of the human experience.
Posted by TomFP 1 year ago
TomFP
Posted by TomFP 1 year ago
TomFP
Posted by TomFP 1 year ago
TomFP
Posted by TomFP 1 year ago
TomFP
Posted by TomFP 1 year ago
TomFP