JD15
sengejuri

Abortion

sengejuri

JD15

Pro

I am FOR Abortion. Abortion should be legal at all points during pregnancy. I believe a woman has the right to decide what to do with HER body. A fetus is not a human being when it is conceived; I believe it is considered a human being and is given all the rights we have when it leaves the womb and enters the world.
Abortion is not murder because the baby is not a person yet! Abortion should be legal in every case, such as when having the baby will kill the mother, or even if the baby is just an inconvenience and the mother does not want it.
Murder is killing anyone from the day they LEAVE THE WOMB to the day they die. Fetus' cannot live without the assistance of their mothers and therefore they are not living, breathing people yet!
sengejuri

Con

You are making claims but provide no reason or evidence to back them up:

"I believe it is considered a human being and is given all the rights we have when it leaves the womb" - why? What is it about physically leaving the womb that conveys rights and personhood? Why is abortion ok 1 minute before birth but not 1 minute after?

"Abortion is not murder because the baby is not a person yet!" - What is your definition of personhood, and why should we accept it?

"Fetus' cannot live without the assistance of their mothers and therefore they are not living, breathing people yet!" - A 2 year old baby also cannot live without assistance, so is it not a living, breathing person?

You as Pro must provide evidence for the claims you are making.
JD15

Pro

Let me be clearer... a fetus is not a person until it has left the womb. It is not a person when it is conceived, nor is it a person when it is 8 months into pregnancy.
I define personhood as being an INDIVIDUAL person. A fetus in a mother"s womb is not individual, it is connected to its mother. It gets all the food its mother gets. The baby becomes an individual when it leaves the womb and can breathe for itself and eat for itself. Therefore the fetus growing inside a woman is not a human being and cannot be murdered. Abortion is termination of a woman"s pregnancy for a variety of reasons, not murdering a fetus that isn"t even alive yet.
For these reasons I support abortion and only a woman can decide what to do with her own body.
sengejuri

Con

Pro did not answer any of my questions.

Pro says a human cannot be a person if they are connected to another. Again, a 2 year old baby is also dependent on its mother for food. A new baby leaving the womb is still attached to the mother until the umbilical cord is cut. Can a newborn baby still be killed before the umbilical cord is cut? Pro says a baby doesn't become an individual until it can eat for itself. Babies can't eat for themselves for the first year of life or more! They require milk, baby food, etc... it appears Pro would be fine killing 1 year olds, according to their definition.

As a grand finale, Pro says a fetus "isn't even alive yet." Yes, yes it is alive. That's why it grows.

Pro has no evidence for their claims.
Vote Placed by Phenenas 8 months ago
Phenenas
JD15sengejuriTied
Reasons for voting decision: As someone who is pro-choice, this pains me, but I must give this to Con. The debate was too short to get anything accomplished, and he didn't get the chance to make arguments of his own, but he destroyed the points that Pro tried to make, for example, that babies were "individual" people. And I just realized that the voting period already ended so...why am I even typing.