THE_OPINIONATOR
whatledge

Abortion

Con Tied Pro

THE_OPINIONATOR

Con

Abortion is a cruel way of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. Instead of there are other ways of dealing with it such as adoption or raising the baby on your own. When people get an abortion its basically committing murder to an unborn baby
whatledge

Pro

Abortion : Induced termination of a pregnancy with destruction of the embryo or fetus. [1]

http://www.answers.com... [1]

I will start my arguments in round 2.

I assert that Abortion should stay legal.
THE_OPINIONATOR

Con

Abortion is a cruel way of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. Instead of there are other ways of dealing with it such as adoption or raising the baby on your own. When people get an abortion its basically committing murder to an unborn baby.

========================================================
Abortion has been a very sensitive issue scince the drug to have it done came on the market. People for and agents try and argue it out, but in the end all it becomes is murder of a human being. You wouldn't go out and kill someone for no reason just because you don't like them, you ignore them. When people choose adoption they are giving that baby up to have a more primitive future, rather than killing it.
whatledge

Pro

I thank my opponent for instigating this debate.

~Refutations~

::Adoption::

In short my opponent's argument is that we should replace abortion with adoption. The link below shows a graph of children adopted or currently in care.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov...

There are many children put up for adoption, and adoption certainly is an alternative to abortion, but the number of adopted children are significantly less than those who are put up for adoption. What does this mean? Adoption is not an effective alternative to abortion.

To make things more interesting, let's add on the number of fetuses aborted to the current number of children up for adoption. In 1996, there were 1.37 million abortions [1]. It exceeds the number of children that are already put up for adoption. Clearly, substituting abortion with adoption is ineffective.

http://www.abortionno.org... [1]

~Arguments~

Whether the fetus can be considered human or not is debatable. I don't feel strongly about this issue either way. My arguments will be focused on why it should remain legal, as opposed to why it is "wrong, sinful, or evil" as that is subject to opinion. However, should my opponent choose to have a moral debate, I welcome the challenge.

There was a period of time when abortion was illegal.

"The prohibition of legal abortion from the 1880s until 1973 came under the same anti-obscenity or Comstock laws that prohibited the dissemination of birth control information and services.
Criminalization of abortion did not reduce the numbers of women who sought abortions. In the years before Roe v. Wade, the estimates of illegal abortions ranged as high as 1.2 million per year.1 Although accurate records could not be kept, it is known that between the 1880s and 1973, many thousands of women were harmed as a result of illegal abortion.
Many women died or suffered serious medical problems after attempting to self-induce their abortions or going to untrained practitioners who performed abortions with primitive methods or in unsanitary conditions. During this time, hospital emergency room staff treated thousands of women who either died or were suffering terrible effects of abortions provided without adequate skill and care."

http://www.prochoice.org...

Clearly, making abortions illegal only causes more chaos. A more current event regarding the issue can be found on the link below.

http://jonathanturley.org...

Simply said, keeping abortions legal is clearly more beneficial, which puts me as a PRO for abortion.
THE_OPINIONATOR

Con

My argument isn't the fact abortion should or shouldn't stay legal. My argument focuses around the fact that there are better ways of dealing with unwanted pregnancies.

Argument: The most effective way of dealing with unwanted pregnancies is prevention all together. There are many different types of contraception oral and barrier
methods. The oral methods include the pill, the patch or vaginal ring. The barrier methods include condoms, diaphragms and cervical caps. The best way of preventing unwanted pregnancies is sexual education.

a chart showing the types in more detail is on the link below
http://www.4parents.gov...

A rise in teen pregnancy shows that our teens have chose to become less educated on the effects of using contraception. If our teens would have been more educated on those methods, abortion rates would be much lower and not on the rise. When teens find out that they are in fact pregnant, they look for a way to deal with it. Some may raise their baby, others may put it up for adoption or have an abortion.

http://www.usatoday.com...
http://abcnews.go.com...

This shows that there are better ways of dealing with an unwanted pregnancy simply by education and contraception instead of killing or aborting the fetus. That is why I am representing as CON.
whatledge

Pro

So my opponent concedes his adoption argument and now turns to the argument that teens should be more educated about sex. First let me note that it isn't only teens that are getting abortions. Second, I assure you that public schools have programs that teach sexual education as early as elementary school, and even more in middle and high school. Teens know what contraptions are, they are merely reckless and irresponsible, just like many adults.

Both of my opponent's arguments, "sexual education" and "adoption" fail to achieve an effective alternative to abortion. Especially since sexual education won't solve current unwanted pregnancy like in the case of adoption. Therefore I urge a Pro vote.

I thank the audience and my opponent.
Posted by THE_OPINIONATOR 6 years ago
THE_OPINIONATOR
wow second loss in a row.........
Posted by Rob1Billion 6 years ago
Rob1Billion
what a bunch of pro-lifers WE are eh?
Posted by Rob1Billion 6 years ago
Rob1Billion
"When people get an abortion its basically committing murder to an unborn baby"

Well that reasoning leads to the premise that jerking off is the murder of an unconceived baby. If it is un-"something," you are implying it "isn't" aren't you?
Posted by piymonk 6 years ago
piymonk
Abortion is done in a stage where the baby really isn't a baby yet. Seeing that it is not technically life yet, it is not like killing it.
Posted by Lamza61 6 years ago
Lamza61
Not to be cruel, but what about population control?
Posted by Brendan21 6 years ago
Brendan21
What about moms that could easily die from carrying a baby for 9 months? There are always situations were it is either the baby or the mother, and usually the baby would die with the mom. Why have to humans die rather than one? Note I personally do not consider a fetus a person.
Posted by THE_OPINIONATOR 6 years ago
THE_OPINIONATOR
I never said raising an unwanted chiled is cruel i said killing an unborn one is. I would raise an unwanted child if need be
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Wouldn't you rather be an unwanted child than not be born AT ALL!? Huh belle? Huh?
Posted by belle 6 years ago
belle
lol... raising an unwanted child isn't cruel?
Posted by THE_OPINIONATOR 6 years ago
THE_OPINIONATOR
changed it make your argument
Vote Placed by v4s3l1n3 6 years ago
v4s3l1n3
THE_OPINIONATORwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Rockylightning 6 years ago
Rockylightning
THE_OPINIONATORwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by THE_OPINIONATOR 6 years ago
THE_OPINIONATOR
THE_OPINIONATORwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Lamza61 6 years ago
Lamza61
THE_OPINIONATORwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by Brendan21 6 years ago
Brendan21
THE_OPINIONATORwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by wesswll 6 years ago
wesswll
THE_OPINIONATORwhatledgeTied
Vote Placed by whatledge 6 years ago
whatledge
THE_OPINIONATORwhatledgeTied