crackofdawn
DrumBum1234

Abortion

Con Tied Pro

crackofdawn

Con

I believe that abortion is wrong. I belive this for one simple reason:

1) Once a baby is concieved it is alive and killing it should be counted as an act of murder.

I recognize that the mother should have a choice as it greatly will affect her life but if you ask me the choice was made when she did the actions that caused her to have a baby. Who in this world should have the right to condemn a living soul when it hasn't do anything and has no say in the decision. I ask whoever my opponent may be to prove that a baby is not alive in the womb. I also ask that they give examples of when abortion would be okay in their mind.
DrumBum1234

Pro

1) If a woman is raped then that woman has not chosen to have a baby and therefore she should be allowed to have an abortion.

2) If the mother is in danger of dying because of the birth then abortion should be allowed.

3) If the heart of the baby is not beating then the baby is not alive.

Thank you for this debate and good luck.
crackofdawn

Con

Thank you for answering this debate and I wish you good luck.

I will have to concede on the first point. Although I am strongly against abortion for any reason if someone is raped they should have a choice then.

If the mother is endanger of dying from the birth then it also should be accepted in some situations. I do believe in the concept of the mother should live over the child.

The third point however is invalid. The baby's heart starts to beat at about 6 weeks old. However, even if you kill it before then you are destroying the potential for life. I don't believe that anyone has the right to play God and if they do it's not right.

You did bring up some good points about abortion but I would like to go to the essence of abortion issue is that a woman kills a baby because the baby is an inconvenience. Most abortions don't come from rape or for the mother having a chance of dying. About 52% of women in the U.S. who have abortions are >25 years old, 20% of those abortions are from teenagers. http://www.abortionno.org....

Although unfortunate most of those women made a choice and I am a firm believer in dealing with the choices one makes. A baby gets no voice or trial and has no say in his predicament.

Why should killing a baby be any different then murder in the majority of cases?

I bid you good luck on your following arguments.
DrumBum1234

Pro

Yes the heart starts to beat around six weeks but before that the baby is not alive. So therefore how can you end something's life that hasn't started living.

Also rape and a mother's life being endangered may not happen a lot but this is a debate on when it is and is not ok to have an abortion, not what situations happen the most.

Good luck
crackofdawn

Con

Correction on my following message I meant to say <25.

Yes it's not technically alive before 6 weeks but it does have the potential for life. Humans should not have the right to decide who and who doesn't get the chance to live. Also you denied an answer on my question on how killing a baby is murder. Your argument is abortion is always okay, mine is it never is although I have conceded to a few acceptions. I believe the win comes with compromise for the both of us, as I can't see how you can justify killing something with a beating heart. This is murder, plain and simple. For the facts around 11.8% (http://en.wikipedia.org...) of abortions happen after 14 weeks in the U.S. Even without the statistics showing weeks 6-13 that's about a staggering 142,000 deaths a year in the U.S. alone. Once again these are deaths after the heart is beating.

The current meaning of murder is: the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law.

That is why abortion should be disallowed, or at the very least highly constricted and supervised. I see no reason for the taken of life or the potential of it but I do see how others can disagree. I understand you disagree with me but my main point of this debate and one question you still have to answer is "Why isn't killing a baby with a beating heart murder." You've made your points on how their are acceptions but until you disprove that point I will never consider you the victor or Pro-life the right way to go. If you can prove that question in your favor then I will have to concede my point but for a long time Pro-life people have tried but could never answer that simple question. To rephrase it, "Why is it okay to kill 142,000 people a year and no one goes on trial for it?"

I would like to thank you for a great debate and hope I get to go against you again.
DrumBum1234

Pro

First of all I never said that abortion is okay all the time. I Just named off reasons when it should be allowed.
Second of all your initial arguement was Abortion is never ok and then you agreed with me on the first two things i said.
Third, the reason people are getting away with abortion is because it is legal.
Vote Pro.
Goodbye
Posted by Biggbrother 7 years ago
Biggbrother
baby heart is momma heart. your killing part of yourself. if someone is raped they need to speak up and get the meds to make them infertile immediatly. if being constantly raped they need birth control. key point if you shoot a pregnant woman its double homicide. if they wanna go down the back alley with a coat hanger fine take a chance with your life if your gonna take another.
Posted by pickpocket094 8 years ago
pickpocket094
I just saw the first line for this debate and felt that it itself is contrary to debates in general. In a debate one should not be debating a personal belief, they should be debating the system or how things are currently done. When you start your argument with "I believe" your no longer debating the for or against a topic.....you're debating for or against YOUR beliefs.
Posted by KRFournier 8 years ago
KRFournier
Conduct - Con - Pro was very tort in his responses, as though his arguments needed no explanation. Not a big deal, but caused me to throw a bone to Con.

Spelling and Grammar - Tie - Neither side caused me to re-read a statement. Easy to follow.

Convincing Argument - Pro - I actually side with Con on this issue, but the resolution was an ultimatum that abortion should be entirely illegal and was unable to adequately refute Pro's argument that it should be legal in at least some circumstances. Con even conceded this point.

Sources - Con - Con used a good source to back his argument regarding the prolific use of abortion as a means of birth control.
Posted by VoodooChild 8 years ago
VoodooChild
I find that very similar.
Posted by crackofdawn 8 years ago
crackofdawn
Your comparing human life to bacteria and carrots?
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
And unless you specify the nature of what is killed in a statement about prohibiting killing, one should be forbidden to use antibiotics, since that kills bacteria. One should be forbidden to eat anything, since all food comes from killing something.
Posted by Ragnar_Rahl 8 years ago
Ragnar_Rahl
"The baby's heart starts to beat at about 6 weeks old. However, even if you kill it before then you are destroying the potential for life."

If a women menstruates instead of getting pregnant, she is destroying a potential for life.

If a man masturbates or has a nocturnal emission, he is destroying the potential for life.

By your logic, women should be required to be pregnant 100% of the time possible for them, in order to minimize potential life lost.

A potential is not an actual.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 8 years ago
I-am-a-panda
This was a baby debate.
Posted by elgeibo 8 years ago
elgeibo
crack of dawn, I agree with you, but you're leaving yourself wide open man.
Vote Placed by pickpocket094 7 years ago
pickpocket094
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by 1337Hal0 7 years ago
1337Hal0
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by crackofdawn_Jr 7 years ago
crackofdawn_Jr
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by threelittlebirds 7 years ago
threelittlebirds
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 7 years ago
Labrat228
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by Snakepliston 7 years ago
Snakepliston
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by jamielynn 7 years ago
jamielynn
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by Mangani 7 years ago
Mangani
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by BirdDog 8 years ago
BirdDog
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
crackofdawnDrumBum1234Tied