lgennarelli
socialpinko

Abortion

lgennarelli

lgennarelli

Con

Abortion should not be allowed. The question of "When does a human life begin" is the major question asked when debating this topic. Abortion is equivalent to killing, it is aborting a life so what else would it be called. Many people feel that a woman should have the right to make her own decisions bout her body, but shouldn't the right to life overpower that. Abortion is morally wrong. Some people can not raise a child and that is why they do not want to have a child, but there are programs out there that take unwanted children in. Their is no scenario where abortion should be allowed. Every baby should have the right to be born. No one should be able to take a baby's right to life away. Woman should not be allowed to argue their right to their own body over their baby's right to life. Abortion should not be allowed in any circumstance.
socialpinko

Pro

Thank you for the opportunity to debate on such a hot button issue. Good luck.

"Abortion should not be allowed."

As you are the one making the positive assertion the BOP falls on you.

"The question of "When does a human life begin" is the major question asked when debating this topic."

As you have the BOP you must provide a legitimate answer on when life begins.

"Their is no scenario where abortion should be allowed."

Deontology rarely fares well. Let me just think of one scenario. What if a man took 31 people hostage and demanded that a woman in her first week of pregnancy must have an abortion or he will kill all his hostages? Is a one week old embryo more valuable then 31 grown people with families? It cannot even live outside the womb. Of course this is a ridiculous scenario but it is just to show that there are never any absolutes.

I look forward to our debate and will be looking forward to your arguments.
lgennarelli

Con

Thank you, I also look forward to this debate.

A human life begins at conception. I brought up my point earlier because many people believe an embryo is not a life. After an egg has been fertilized all human chromosomes are present in the embryo. It is a life, a potential human being who will grow to be able to live on their own.

http://www.nrlc.org...

The scenario you give me is a "what if" scenario." Something like this has never happened before. When it comes to situations you can't think like this. You could make plenty of other "what if" scenarios fore many other topics. This is not the reason abortion is legal though. Abortion is legal because the government feels that it is a woman's right to privacy to do what she wants with her own body. My rebuttal to this is that the right to life should over power a right to privacy. Abortion is equivalent to killing in many peoples opinions.

socialpinko

Pro

http://www.nrlc.org......

Your link to your definition of when life begins is not from an unbiased scientific source. Therefore it cannot be accepted.

Alive
"the period during which something is functional (as between birth and death); "the battery had a short life"; "he lived a long and happy life"
http://www.google.com...
This definition is from a website that is neither pro-choice nor pro-life. And the definition defines life as between birth and death so naturally anything before birth or after death is not alive.

"The scenario you give me is a "what if" scenario." Something like this has never happened before. When it comes to situations you can't think like this."

I merely pointed to a scenario where abortion would clearly be the morally correct choice. I was just pointing out the fallacy of your deontological argument.
lgennarelli

Con

Your source also says a life is "a characteristic state or mode of living;" and who is to say a fetus is not a mode or state of living.

My point in reference to your scenario is that your only argument against abortion is if a scenario like that happened. Additionally, who is to say if one life is more important then another. It is just like saying if that same man who took 31 people hostage, but wanted to kill one specific person and if he was not turned over everyone else would be killed. It is ridiculous to think like this. A person should not take a stand against something just because one fears a ridiculous scenario will happen. One life is no grater then any other.

Abortion is stopping a life. Everyone has a right to life and that should never be taken away no matter what the circumstance may be. Abortion should never be an option. Even if a mother does not want a child, there are places that would take her child in. There is no reason for someone to chose abortion.
socialpinko

Pro

"Your source also says a life is "a characteristic state or mode of living;" and who is to say a fetus is not a mode or state of living."

I did not post that definition as it is in no way technical or scientific. As this is the last round and we have still not agreed on a definition I declare this debate to have been a waste.

"My point in reference to your scenario is that your only argument against abortion is if a scenario like that happened."

I was not posting an argument in favor of abortion. I was demonstrating the fallacy of your argument. I do not have to post any argument as the burden of proof is on you. All you have said is that abortion is killing with no evidence to support your statement.

"Everyone has a right to life and that should never be taken away no matter what the circumstance may be."

I assume you are also against defending one's own life. How is life precious if it's not even worth defending?

VOTE CON
Posted by socialpinko 5 years ago
socialpinko
MrCarrol did not vote with con for con's arguments but only because he agreed with con before the debate.
Vote Placed by MrCarroll 5 years ago
MrCarroll
lgennarellisocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro doesn't understand what living means. The cells are alive no? It has the full dna of a human no? I think its alive.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
lgennarellisocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's claim was not properly refuted, seriously a hostage abortion?
Vote Placed by reddj2 5 years ago
reddj2
lgennarellisocialpinkoTied
Reasons for voting decision: con-Weak argument, refused to accept that his argument has a flaw