Tanith
rogue

Abortion

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

Tanith

Con

Abortion, in my opinion, is very wrong. Some people are for it but only because they have no clue what happens in an abortion. Well, I will tell you what happens in an abortion now.
In an abortion, the doctor will remove some of the liquid surrounding the fetus and replace it with salt to dry out/kill the fetus. To take the fetus out and dispose of it, the doctor will take this vacuum type thing and suck out the fetus piece by piece, killing it all the way.
Isn't that a bit inhumane? Well, I think it is.
Is it really necessary to kill an unborn baby in that inhumane way, when you can always put it up for adoption, which is a way better way to deal with an unwanted pregnancy.
I think that for Christians especially, this hits them where it hurts.(The heart.)
How would you like it if you were a baby who was aborted and now you never get to see the light of day. I wouldn't like that at all.
I do however understand what it would be like to have an unwanted pregnancy because I am the child of a mother who had an unwanted pregnancy and she put me up for adoption.
So what is your decision on abortion going to be? Are you for it? or Against it?
rogue

Pro

"Isn't that a bit inhumane?"- I do not think so. The fetus at this point is just a bunch of cells. It has no feeling, no thought, no emotion, no one that cares about it.

"Is it really necessary to kill an unborn baby in that inhumane way, when you can always put it up for adoption, which is a way better way to deal with an unwanted pregnancy."- It is necessary. Con fails to take into account the drastic change a pregnancy has on a woman's life and body. A woman with an unwanted pregnancy may be unable to take life changing opportunities that will never come again. Things like job offers, promotion, schooling, travelling, or may fail at these thing because of the pregnancy. The pregnancy changes a woman's body and state of mind. It can cause severe depression before and after birth, cause the woman to gain a large amount of weight, get pregnancy-related diseases, and suffer from health complications because of the pregnancy that could kill or injure the mother seriously.

Also, why should a woman add child that no one wants to an already overpopulated Earth? There are already so many children up for adoption in orphanages, foster care, and make-shift homes all over the world. There is in no way a shortage of adoptable children. Instead of adding to the amount of unwanted children and forcing someone to take care of the child, let us reduce the number of unwanted children until every adoptable child has grown up or has a home. Not to mention that carrying a baby for nine months and then giving it away can seriously harm the mother mentally.

Clearly it is not just as simple as "just give it up for adoption" as many pro-life people would like to assert as the best option.

"How would you like it if you were a baby who was aborted and now you never get to see the light of day."- I wouldn't like or dislike it. I would never have consciousness so I would never know. I would not feel sad or hurt or any kind of remorse because I would never have felt anything.

I believe since the mother is important to people and is already a member or society, and the baby is not, the mother should have priority. This means she should get to choose if her life is going to be so drastically changed and possibly ruined or ended by the pregnancy. If we force every woman who gets pregnant to have the child, many women's lives will be ruined or ended. It will take away a woman's right to her body. The mother's life is also at stake during pregnancy, and many pro life people seem to forget that.
Posted by Meatros 5 years ago
Meatros
I'm not sure that's equivalent. The argument I put forward would not be simply for Christians to be pro-choice, it would be a greater good for a Christian to abort their child.
Posted by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
Meatros, on top of that, the abortion issue hits pro-choicers in the heart, too, because they're trying to look out for the best interests of the woman in question and there could be certain situations in which the girl or woman may not be ready to raise a child. So saying it hits in the heart is true for both sides of the equation.

The pro-life side is that the unborn are equally as valuable as the woman who finds herself pregnant with the unborn child and therefore should be protected simply by virtue of belonging to the community of humanity.
Posted by Meatros 5 years ago
Meatros
As for the appeal to Christians and it hitting them in the heart, this objection isn't fully formed, but I think it could backfire. I can think of an argument for abortion, from a Christian perspective, but it hinges on whether or not you think babies go to hell. If you do,well...

If you think that babies get an automatic pass to heaven, then it seems to me that Christians *should* abort their unborn babies. After all, it guarantee's the child goes to heaven. There is no need to worry that the baby will grow up and reject god and go to hell. So if the Christian really loved their child, they should abort it.
Posted by Meatros 5 years ago
Meatros
The "Cons" side first argument seems a bit...bizarre and subjective:

"In an abortion, the doctor will remove some of the liquid surrounding the fetus and replace it with salt to dry out/kill the fetus. To take the fetus out and dispose of it, the doctor will take this vacuum type thing and suck out the fetus piece by piece, killing it all the way."

The thing that strikes me about this is that certain surgeries - say, when they remove an organ - are fairly revolting as well. Your position here would suggest that these surgeries should therefore not occur. So, if I needed a kidney removed because it was cancerous, going by your logic, we couldn't remove the kidney because it is revolting...
Posted by boredinclass 5 years ago
boredinclass
Why is it that with us it's an abortion, but with a chicken, it's an omelet?
Posted by brokenboy 5 years ago
brokenboy
i think that if both debaters were to actually have to resort to abortion or had the option there answers would be very different
Posted by Apocalyptic 5 years ago
Apocalyptic
I highly doubt "not knowing what happens in abortion" is why people chose to abort. The con debater needs to realize that this subject is not black and white. Pregnancy tends to be a very thought out matured decision for the most part, and so the same is with abortion. While many people are careless and perform unprotected sex, you must also take in consideration victims of rape. It is unfair for women with situations such as rape, who are mentally and/or physically incapable of bearing a child, to be judged for their choice of aborting. Putting the baby up for adoption is not a magical-handy-dandy solution. Caring a baby in the womb changes your life completely. It can lead to changes in behavior and thought. Having the mother be anxiety driven is not good for the baby. Also, foster homes and adoption houses are not a great place for a child to be. While many foster homes are supplied with good parents, the child has a chance of being put in a situation of abuse. And/or may deal with depression later on realizing their parents have left them.
In any case, the con's point of view is childish in a sense, for they are thinking as though the baby has a view of the world. When in truth, the baby hardly even knows survival instincts because it is still attached to its host. Most abortion happens at a time period where the baby is still simply human cells. If I cut off a piece of my thumb, would you be apposed to "killing" or discarding it?
Posted by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
"How would you like it if you were a baby who was aborted and now you never get to see the light of day."

Uh.... In that situation I don't think a baby would really get the chance to form an opinion on whether they liked or disliked their situation.
Posted by Korashk 5 years ago
Korashk
Instigators almost always lose one round debates.
Vote Placed by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am staunchly pro-life, but Con made simply bad arguments. They were mainly appeals to emotion, and Pro answered them sufficiently. There are excellent scientific and logical reasons to oppose abortion, and I would urge Con to do a lot more research on the issue. Also, more rounds in the future would help a great deal.
Vote Placed by Amveller 5 years ago
Amveller
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: I will always vote against Abortion
Vote Placed by brokenboy 5 years ago
brokenboy
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: L
Vote Placed by eib10202 5 years ago
eib10202
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: good con points
Vote Placed by lliwill 5 years ago
lliwill
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: This could've been an interesting debate if there was more than one round. Didn't like that Con only tried to appeal to votes emotionally
Vote Placed by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: 1 round debates will always lose the conduct for me (since no debate can actually take place). Pro did a sufficient job taking down Con's arguments, which were mostly appeal to emotions anyway.
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
boredinclass
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: 1 round debates are inherently unfair for the instigator, so all arguments were answered by pro, and pro had points that weren't and couldn't be answered
Vote Placed by Aaronroy 5 years ago
Aaronroy
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born. - Ronald Reagan
Vote Placed by kohai 5 years ago
kohai
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: I wish there were more rounds to this debate. I agree with con before and after although it was pro that was able to refute con's arguments
Vote Placed by TUF 5 years ago
TUF
TanithrogueTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con doesn't really make arguments mainly just un supported claims. Shouldn't have done a one round debate, it allows your opponent to lay the heat down, without giving you the chance to respond.