Its-you-or-me
InquireTruth

Abotion should not be looked down upon

InquireTruth

Its-you-or-me

Pro

In The Defense of Abortion.

Quote- The 1st amendment- "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It is not within any legitmate scope of the government to make attacks on citizens' morals or belief systems, either directly or indirectly. Granted, this bulletin will probably anger a lot of people who believe that all lives are sacred and it is an innocent human being inside the woman that may be weighing abortion as her last resort.

"judge not, lest ye be judged"

Let's face it, if you can read this type, you're a human. You're no better than me, and you're no worse than me. I wouldn't come into your home and tell you how to arrange your furniture, as would I hope you wouldn't do that to me. I wouldn't judge you if you chose to abort a fetus, nor would I hope you judge me if it ever came down to that in my personal life.

America is based on, more or less, freedom. The freedom to do with yourself what you please, so you (as another human) have no moral highground to tell somebody what they can and can't do, nor can you morally pass laws to ban what may be somebodys only option.

Take the case of a rape victim.

A young woman walks home after a long night at work, she is poor, barely scraping by, and can barely afford to feed herself, little on a child. She is suddenly snatched into an alley and violently raped by a man whom she has no relation to, and could never fully know if he was, infact, suffering from any sexually transmitted diseases. The man who raped her (obviously) didn't use protection and the woman becomes pregnant.

She is faced with many options. On top of being emotionally distressed over the feeling of violation, she is to be called a "baby killer" if she chooses to follow the path of abortion.

Many pro-life (funny name considering these people are pro-destroying lives) people would say "could she not just give it up for adoption?" the answer is, no, this too would emotionally affect her knowing that somewhere in the world her bastard child is growing up parentless, taking redicule everyday for being born out of rape.

Solid fact, in many cases, abortion is the only option, and you as another human being (regardless of what you have instilled in your mind or you hear from your local pastor) have no right to tell these people what they can and can not do with their own bodies.

We are all humans, how we got here may be under debate, but we're here and we need to learn to get along.
InquireTruth

Con

In complete neglect of the resolution, my opponent starts with a defense of abortion. However, my opponent must show why I should not look down upon it. What moral stipulation mandates how I SHOULD feel about something?

"It is not within any legitmate scope of the government to make attacks on citizens' morals or belief systems, either directly or indirectly."

If, according to my opponent, the government has no grounds to question my moral system, why does he? The argument is not over the rightness or wrongness of abortion, but over the way someone ought to feel about it. I can frown upon whatever I please.

"I wouldn't come into your home and tell you how to arrange your furniture, as would I hope you wouldn't do that to me. I wouldn't judge you if you chose to abort a fetus, nor would I hope you judge me if it ever came down to that in my personal life."

My opponent's argument is absolutely self-refuting. He asserts that one ought not to judge another person. How then does he intend to judge those who frown upon abortion? His point of "judge not lest ye be judged" stands with friction against the resolution. Self-refutation notwithstanding – he has given no reason why "judge not, lest you be judged" is a universally binding edict.

"so you (as another human) have no moral highground to tell somebody what they can and can't do, nor can you morally pass laws to ban what may be somebodys only option."

Are we to believe that when a man breaks into our home and begins to ravage our belongings that we have no moral option to kindly say, "uh, you can't do that." We cannot tell to the murderer: that was wrong? We cannot tell to the rapist: bad move? We cannot tell to the child molester: what the hell? If we can do none of these things according to my opponent, how then can he tell me how I should and should not feel about abortion?

"She is suddenly snatched into an alley and violently raped by a man whom she has no relation to, and could never fully know if he was, infact, suffering from any sexually transmitted diseases. The man who raped her (obviously) didn't use protection and the woman becomes pregnant."

And, according to my opponent, we can no more pass judgment on the man who raped the woman then we can the abortion she got thereafter.

"Solid fact, in many cases, abortion is the only option"

Being a solid fact as it is, I would like to see the evidence that in many cases abortion is the ONLY option. Abortion due to rape comes down to less then 1%.(1) Ectopic pregnancy is the only medical condition in which abortion becomes necessary – this is also less then 1%.(2) Abortions are done for selfish and irresponsible reasons – I can frown upon that all I want.

"you as another human being (regardless of what you have instilled in your mind or you hear from your local pastor) have no right to tell these people what they can and can not do with their own bodies"

How is it then that my opponent has the right to tell me how I should and should not feel about abortion?

1. http://query.nytimes.com...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
Its-you-or-me

Pro

Its-you-or-me forfeited this round.
InquireTruth

Con

Extend my arguments. How disappointing.
Its-you-or-me

Pro

........lost
Vote Placed by Its-you-or-me 8 years ago
Its-you-or-me
Its-you-or-meInquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by InquireTruth 8 years ago
InquireTruth
Its-you-or-meInquireTruthTied
Vote Placed by DiablosChaosBroker 8 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
Its-you-or-meInquireTruthTied