About everything is illegal America has become A berserk authority freak nation

Round 1 acceptance

Our lives are governed by millions of laws, rules and regulations and more are being piled on all the time. In fact, 40,000 new laws ( just went into effect in January. Every single new law restricts your freedom just a little bit more.

This clearly doesn't need many definitions as it is very clear what my opponent means.

We have a shared BOP, my opponent must prove the American government are control freaks and I have to prove that they aren't. However, my opponent must show how many laws deems control freak, are 20, 000 laws too many etc. etc.

I look forward to my opponennts first arguments on why we shouldn't have as many laws.

Thanks for joining this debate. "berserk authority" i was tired when i wrote that title.

Do you think that you are free? Most Americans would still probably answer "yes" to that question, but is that really the case? In the film Edge of Darkness, Mel Gibson stated that "everything is illegal in Massachusetts". Well, the same could pretty much be said for the United States as a whole.

The truth is that America has become a crazy control freak nation where virtually everything that we do is highly regulated. You have probably broken multiple laws today that you don't even know exist. We have all become criminals and lawbreakers because almost everything is illegal at this point. Our politicians are convinced that they are "making life better" by piling gigantic mountains of laws on to our backs, and law enforcement authorities are convinced that they are helping society by "cracking down on crime", but the reality is that our liberties and our freedoms are being strangled by all of this government oppression. This is not the way that America is supposed to work.

Yes, every society needs laws. But the laws should be short enough and simple enough that everybody can read them and understand them.

In America today, there is no possible way that any of us could ever read all of the laws that apply to us. Most of us just live our daily lives and try to do the "right" thing. But there is no guarantee that men with guns will not show up at your door one evening because of some obscure regulation that you have broken.

The following are signs that America is becomeing a control freak nation where almost everything is illegal....

• In the United States it is illegal to operate a train that does not have an "F" painted on the front. Apparently without that "F" we all might not know where the front of the train is. (
  • In Louisiana, a church was recently ordered to stop giving out water because it did not have a permit to do so. (
  • In Fairbanks, Alaska it is illegal to give alcoholic beverages to a moose.
  • If you register with a false name on MySpace or Facebook you could potentially "spend five years in federal prison". (
I have some more poitnts that i would like to bring up in round 3.

Rebut me Con.

I thank my opponent for his comments.

What I said in R1 is clearly incorrect as I have misinterpreted what my opponent says, and this debate clearly needs some definitions. I had misunderstood what my opponent meant by “laws”, I thought my opponent meant common laws such as murder, theft, etc. not laws from

Illegal – forbidden by law or statue [1]

Laws – the principles and regulations established in a community by some authority and applicable to its people, whether in the form of legislation or of custom and policies recognized and enforced by judicial decision [1]

The truth is that America has become a crazy control freak nation where virtually everything we do is highly regulated.

Last time I checked, I have never been arrested for playing dominoes on Sunday. These laws are never enforced, thus they cannot be considered true laws. A police officer will never arrest you for playing dominoes on Sunday.

but the reality is that our liberties and freedoms are being strangled by all of this government oppression.

This is incorrect. Real laws that are enforced by police are all for the protection of our freedoms and liberties. Are we going to allow theft and remove laws on theft as it removes our liberties? Of course not, these laws protect the citizens of the United States.

The following are signs that America is becoming a control freak nation where almost everything is illegal.

As I have already shown, nobody is arrested because of these laws and they are not enforced, thus they cannot be considered laws.

C1: These laws are in place to protect us

Laws preventing murder, theft, arson, and other harmful crimes are enforced and are for the protection of us. Would you rather murder be allowed because we have too many laws? All of these laws are important for the protection of the people of America. The government isn’t a control freak, merely interested in protecting its citizens. Is that wrong? Of course not.

I have shown how America isn’t a control freak, thus the resolution is negated. Clearly, an easy vote is a VOTE CON.

jj43zz forfeited this round.

Extend all arguments. It appears my opponent has deactivated his account.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
So what's the BOP for both sides? How many non-restrictions would I have to prove in order for a con vote?
Vote Placed by Contra 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's account was closed.