KeytarHero
phantom

Absolute truth exists

KeytarHero

KeytarHero

Pro

I wish to debate absolute truth with someone. It seems to be an increasingly popular philosophy that "what is true for you is true for you, but not for me." I believe this view fails when you really take a close look at it.
phantom

Con

I accept this Debate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
KeytarHero

Pro

I would like to take a minute to thank my opponent, Phantom, for accepting my debate. I am new to this site, so forgive me if there's some etiquette I'm unfamiliar with. I am using this as a learning experience.

My argument for the existence of absolute truth is really three-fold.

Argument one: The statement "there is no truth" is a self-defeating statement. In order for it to be true, it must be false. Therefore, there must be truth. And to add an addendum to it that the only truth is, in fact, that there is no truth is a cop-out.

First of all, if the "only" truth is that there is no truth, then who's to say there aren't other truths? If you can have one truth, then there must be others.

Secondly, if you're going to use a definitive statement that there is no truth, there must be true reasons to back that up. You must have arguments to support your premise. If these statements are also false (as the premise, itself, states), then the original statment must be incorrect.

Argument two: There are definite absolute truths that we can observe. Everyone dies, it's just a natural process of living beings. Everyone requires food, water, and oxygen to live. There's no getting around it. There are absolute truths that occur in front of our very eyes.

Argument three: There are subjective truths, and objective truths.

A subjective statement is one in which there can be many truths. For example, if I say mint chocolate chip is the best ice cream, that's a subjective statement. It's only the best because it's my favorite flavor. Someone else may enjoy a different brand of ice cream, so to them another flavor may be the best.

An objective statement is one that is true regardless of who believes it. Water is made up of two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule. If I walk up to you and say, water is not H2O, water is actually C2HOAU, you're going to look at me as if I'm a crazy person. Water is H2O regardless of who believes it. This is an objective truth. It will not change, no matter who believes it.

-Conclusion-

While "there is no truth" seems to be a fairly common belief, under close scrutiny I don't believe it can be proven correct. I look forward to my opponent's response.
phantom

Con

phantom forfeited this round.
KeytarHero

Pro

Well, seeing as though my opponent forfeited his last round, I have nothing to respond to. Which also means I won't have a chance to respond if he makes a round three argument. Please consider voting pro.
phantom

Con

I'm an idiot. I appologize for a waisted debate.

I'm afraid I will have to concede to pro. I do not see it fair or reasonable to post only one argument in a debate which my opponent cannot even refute. Therefore I must ask the voters to Vote pro. :(
Posted by philochristos 1 year ago
philochristos
I think forfeiting the round was the best thing for phantom to do considering the position he was going to have to take. If there are not absolute truths, then there's nothing for phantom to say. Not saying anything was perfectly consistent with the position he was taking. If he had attempted to negate what KeytarHero said, he would've essentially be saying this the "truth" is that KeytarHero was wrong and phantom was right.

I'm surprised people debate this issue since to debate it to concede that there is absolute truth, whether you argue for it or against it. But there are actually well-educated people who argue this. For example, Greg Koukl debated Marvin Meyer on this subject. Marvin Meyer took the opposing view, and he had a Ph.D. He really seemed to believe was saying, too.
Posted by phantom 3 years ago
phantom
Mmm...To tell the truth I think I took this debate too hastily. Plus I'm not going to be doing any debates for a while besides my current one. But I'm sure if you open a challenge again you'll get someone to debate with you easily.
Posted by KeytarHero 3 years ago
KeytarHero
No problem, Phantom. Would you care to try again? I could set another debate up.
Posted by KeytarHero 3 years ago
KeytarHero
Hey, thanks, Josh. Apparently my opponent didn't post a response, so if he doesn't post again I guess I'll win be default.
Posted by JoshBrahm 3 years ago
JoshBrahm
Excellent round two argument, from the Pro position!
Vote Placed by JoshBrahm 3 years ago
JoshBrahm
KeytarHerophantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro is the only one to make an argument, and it was an exceptional argument at that.
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 3 years ago
quarterexchange
KeytarHerophantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit and Pro's arguments stood unchallenged
Vote Placed by Phoenix_Reaper 3 years ago
Phoenix_Reaper
KeytarHerophantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: .
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 3 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
KeytarHerophantomTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear forfeit.