Luxray2854
TinyBudha

Abstinence only sex ed is inneffective in teaching youth

TinyBudha

Luxray2854

Pro

You said you'd take it so let's go, you can start. BOP Is on me
TinyBudha

Con

I accept with the understanding that burdern of proof is on PRO

Resolution: Abstinence-only sex-education is ineffective in teaching youth.

Luxray2854

Pro

Abstinence only sex ed is not only ineffective, it also poses danger to uneducated youth. Not teaching youth about contraceptives leads to higher birth rates in teens, where children that are taught about contraceptives have a much lower teen pregnancy rate. This can be seen when comparing the state with the highest teen birth rates versus the state with the lowest.
As of 2013 the teen birth rates are:

Highest: New Mexico, 43.3/1,000 teens (1)
Lowest: New Hampshire, 12.6/1,000 teens. (1)

Why is there such a big gap? It lies in their sex ed teachings. Not teaching children about contraceptives (in abstinence only programs that"s what they do, they only talk about why you should be abstinent and not wh
In New Mexico sex ed is not required and there are NO guidelines on what needs to be taught, and sex ed is NOT required. (2)
In New Hampshire, sex ed is mandatory and they provide a "comprehensive sex education in schools that includes abstinence and information about condoms and contraception."(2)

Also, a quote from another study: "A long-awaited, federally-funded evaluation of four carefully selected abstinence-only education programs, published in April 2007, showed that youth enrolled in the programs were no more likely than those not in the programs to delay sexual initiation, to have fewer sexual partners, or to abstain entirely from sex" (2)

Over to you

(1): http://kff.org...
(2): http://thinkprogress.org...
TinyBudha

Con

Violation-Invalid resolution-Resolution interpritation 1

The resolution isn't debatable. The resoution requires that this form of sex-ed teach youth. This is the same as saying. Abstinance-only sex-ed is innefective in teaching the state of being young. One cannot teach the pyhsical state of being young, because, again, the definition of youth. Look at this sentence again when you change youth to its definition.

"Resolution: Abstinence-only sex-ed is ineffective in teaching the period between childhood and adult age."

The sentence doesn't make sense and thus it cannotbe affirmed, being that I can only negate because PRO has burden of proof, I must win the round. The resolution doesn't include anything being taught. For instance 'young people' would make sense. But this, doesn't make sense. This attempts to teach a state of being which is impossible.

Resolution interpritation 2
Now there is a second way to interprit this without changing the actual gramatical structure of the sentence. The sentence would then mean that the sex-ed teachers taught about youth, like, what youth is, what the word youth means, the epistemology of the word youth...ect, but the problem is that sex-ed doesn't teach about youth and therefore it cannot be innefective at it.

Resolution interpritation 3
So we have discovered that the resolution is undebatable because it is gramatcally incorrect, and has two possible meanings; that is the only argument I need in order to win however Let's assume he said 'young people'. This still doesn't give pro any advantages. because he hasn't define what 'effective teaching' really is. From what PRO has said in-round, he seems to think that effective teaching is defined by whether or not your students follow what you have told them, or whether or not they heed the information that has been given to them.

This should not be what defines effective teaching. Teaching is simply the act of giving information about. Abstinant-only sex-ed has a preset course material and thus the resolution should be talking about whether or not teachers effectively communicate that course material. The only evidence he has given concerns whether or not teens Heed that lesson which does not relate to the topic area because it does not concern whether-or-not the teachers are teaching their courses.

1.) an effective teacher teaches all of his or her corse material so the students can understand it.
2.) Pro has presented evidence that students do not use or agree with the matarial they are taught
3.) this does not reflect whether or not the students have actually understood the course work
4.) thus his arguments have no impact on the resolution and are meaningless.
5.) thus the resolution remains unaffirmed
6.) thus the BOP has not been upheld
7.) thus as of now I must win this debate round.

"Not teaching youth about contraceptives leads to higher birth rates in teens"
-irrelevant and non topical, does not partain the the deabate.

"A long-awaited, federally-funded evaluation of four carefully selected abstinence-only education programs, published in April 2007, showed that youth enrolled in the programs were no more likely than those not in the programs to delay sexual initiation, to have fewer sexual partners, or to abstain entirely from sex"
-irrelevant and non topical, does not partain to the debate.

Finally, I would simply like to point out your logical falacy in correlating teen pregnancies with sex education types. This link is unproven, as of now this is simply a "False Cause Fallacy". Pro will need sources wich agree with his conclusion that sex-ed correlates to pregnancies, but again, talking about this is really just for fun becuase this argument is irrelevant and Pro loses because he made an unwinnable and illogical resolution.

thank you.
Luxray2854

Pro

Luxray2854 forfeited this round.
TinyBudha

Con

TinyBudha forfeited this round.
Luxray2854

Pro

Luxray2854 forfeited this round.
TinyBudha

Con

TinyBudha forfeited this round.
Luxray2854

Pro

Luxray2854 forfeited this round.
TinyBudha

Con

Opponent forfeits, and conceedes all interpritations and arguments, he thusly loses the round, thanks.
Posted by TinyBudha 1 year ago
TinyBudha
You didn't define it. That's your job, I accepted thinking it was a different meaning, thus that's the one we have to debate. You failed to define, so I had to do it for you, it would be extremely abusisive to try and change that now.
Posted by Luxray2854 1 year ago
Luxray2854
I won't be able to put in my debate for today due to business, but I wanna say,

youth= young persons collectively.

http://dictionary.reference.com...

just taking the first definition of a word you see doesn't make you right
Posted by Luxray2854 1 year ago
Luxray2854
Forgot to state in my argument, yea I know, BOP is on me. Sounds good.
Posted by Deathbydefault 1 year ago
Deathbydefault
Sex Ed is more there to let children know what's going on with their bodies and how to responsibly handle themselves in a sexual situation. Then again Sex Ed is more reality based. It's well know that just because you place a rule or law it doesn't mean someone will follow it. Most people in my generation, and probably the next one too, will have their first sexual experience right around 14. Isn't it better that kids go into it knowing what they're doing instead of knowing nothing, which could potentially lead to extreme pain, pregnancy, or the development of a strange fetish? Abstinence led's only to trouble. I don't want my future daughter on 14 and pregnant, if she's going to do it anyways I'd rather her doing it safely.
Vote Placed by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
Luxray2854TinyBudhaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro FFs more times and concedes arguments.