Emc97
Mister_Man

Abuse of new youtubers by popular youtuber via over exposure

Mister_Man

Emc97

Pro

I find that the abuse of power by popular youtubers is wrong the fact that they can easily destroy new youtubers by overexposure.

I have seen plenty of new up and coming youtubers getting ,,recommended,, by popular youtubers then in a matter of days their subscription goes from 20k to over a few hundred thousand causing sudden camera shyness a decrease of video quality and frequency and in less then a month the youtuber looses their original sub base and all their new ones essentially killing the youtubers name

Do you agree or disagree that popular youtubers should do this to new youtubers
Mister_Man

Con

Considering you took the Pro position, I will take the Con. I can find several good and bad outcomes of popular YouTubers promoting a new channel, but I'll focus on the bad, considering that's the position I took.

I've had a few YouTube channels. One when I was in grade 10 with a friend, doing literally whatever, from making ice cream to reviewing games to just talking about stuff. Another a couple years later, after I graduated, I created music videos with movies or other videos from YouTube (getting upwards of 20,000 views a video), which only lasted a couple months. I then started a gaming channel, trying to do things nobody has done before, and my main game was Sims 3. It took a while to get off the ground, but after a dozen or two videos, the views started rising and I started getting new subscribers more frequently. I then got picked up by a more popular YouTube channel because of my videos, and started playing Minecraft and other things with them.

Why do you care? Because the first three channels I made were all my ideas; I didn't ask for anyone to promote me, I didn't ask people what I should do next, I did what I wanted, and if people liked that, great. The channel that picked me up was fun to begin with, but it quickly went downhill when we asked for a much more popular YouTuber to send his subscribers our way. They had a complete different mindset than we wanted, and basically asked us to do what the other guy did. The other two guys in our group were totally cool with that, and I guess I was at first, but I realized (and I'm sure they realized) that we weren't doing anything we liked, we were doing what our subscribers wanted.

It got boring quickly and it felt like we were working for someone; not making videos and having fun anymore.

I don't really want to make this some super long rant, so let me just sum it up with a few points.

-Like you said; too fast of growth can scare young YouTubers, in turn causing them to cave under the pressure and either give up or try way too hard to please everybody, and fail miserably

-The popular YouTuber's subs don't want what the unpopular YouTuber is creating, for the most part

-It makes it feel like you're making videos to please people instead of making videos for fun and having people enjoy them as a bonus

-There is the possibility that the young YouTuber will spend way too much time and money dedicated to YouTube because it seems as though a lot of people like their content, when in reality it's just people subscribing because someone popular told them to. Their money and time is wasted after a while when the new subscribers realize they don't like the content and just revert back to the popular YouTuber

--

It looks like you may possibly agree with me. Either way, I hope this helped.
Emc97

Pro

Emc97 forfeited this round.
Mister_Man

Con

If you agree with me, for the sake of argument, I could take the opposing side and argue that it's good if new YouTubers are advertised by popular YouTubers?
Emc97

Pro

Emc97 forfeited this round.
Mister_Man

Con

Well, thanks! Good luck on YouTube if this is what you're getting at.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
Emc97Mister_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
Emc97Mister_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.