Loveshismom
baus

Accept if you dare #1: 3D games are better than 2D games

Started: 5/26/2014 Category: Games

Loveshismom

Pro

I will be supporting this. Disagreement with me is not required. First round is acceptance only.
baus

Con

I dare to accept.
Loveshismom

Pro

3D games, due to having a freely movable camera, have an enhancement advantage.

For example, let's take the ending of Mega Man 7. At the ending, Megaman has Dr. Wily literally begging and bowing for mercy. By nearly killing him, Megaman violates the rules of roboethics. The ending probably would have been more dramatic in 3D, and here is why:

1. (We get close-ups of several sides of Wily's flying machine as it explodes)
2. (The camera is on the ground and pointed at Wily as he falls)
3. (Slow dramatic music starts playing)
4. (Wily starts bowing. The camera is positioned so we can see both Wily and Megaman)
5. (Megaman's eyes turn red) (closeup on Megaman's face) (dramatic crescendo)
6. Megaman (in creepy, deep and distorted voice): I'm gonna do what I should have done a long time ago! (Switches to fire ability.) (dramatic crescendo)
7. Wily: No! Please! Spare me! I promise I'll quit wreaking havoc! Weren't you programmed to spare all lives no matter what!? You're breaking the rules of roboethics!
8. Megaman (still speaking in mean voice): I... AM... MORE... THAN... A ROBOT!!!!!
9. (Beam drops on Wily.) (descendo)
10. (Megaman takes a few steps back in response to the falling beam hesitates) (camera is a few feet behind him and 2.5 inches to his right)
11. (Bass appears before Megaman)
12. Bass: those who hesitate are lost. (Departs, takes Wily with him)
baus

Con

Let's look at the harms that 2-D games have done and observe whether 3-D games are likely to mitigate these harms or amplify them.

(1) Video-game addiction involves an addiction to 2-D games. http://www.video-game-addiction.org...

It is often linked to both the adrenaline rush and the good graphics of games that draw you in. These are only amplified if the game is 3-D and you both feel more fear by things seeming to come 'out of the screen' at you since the adrenaline rush would only be increased.

(2) The link between video-games and violence. http://www.deseretnews.com...

Video games no only host violence within them but even the ones that don't are based around the philosophy of valuing one's own pleasure over their real-life duties. The entire gaming community enjoy escaping reality and their duties, both domestic and professional, by entering an alternate world where none of the rules apply; not even even the laws of physics.

This gradually decreases one's capacity for self-control. If games are 3-D, they'd only increase the extent to which they 'draw you in' and so the effects would only be amplified.

(3) Games are played on a 2-D surface, so it makes more logical sense for the game to be 2-D.
Loveshismom

Pro

1. "... If the game is 3-D... you feel more fear by things seeming to come 'out of the screen' at you since the adrenaline rush would only be increased."

That logic does not apply to everybody. I played the Wii version of Sonic Colors, and all that 3D rush brought me enjoyment, not fear.

2. By "better," I meant that they were more enjoyable. Was that not obvious from my argument from round 2? Their long-term influence are irrelevant to this debate due to what I meant by "better."

3. "Games are played on a 2D surface,"

Actually, that is not always the case because not all TV's are flat screen. I have three non-flat screen TV's at home, and that does not make it any less logical for it to be a 3D game.
baus

Con

"That logic does not apply to everybody. I played the Wii version of Sonic Colors, and all that 3D rush brought me enjoyment, not fear."

The "enjoyment" from the rush is addictive. This is negative.

I shall now define better for you.

More appropriate, advantageous, or well advised [http://www.oxforddictionaries.com...]

Something cannot be more well-advise, appropriate or advantageous if it has more drawbacks than the alternative and very few advantages over it.

3. "Games are played on a 2D surface,"

Just because you're too cheap to get flat-screen doesn't mean the damn screen surface is 3-D. That's physically impossible, by the way.
Loveshismom

Pro

1. That's not what I meant by "better." I meant "more enjoyable," not "more appropriate, advantageous, or well-advised." That means addiction and all that are irrelevant to this debate.

2. "Just because you're too cheap to get flat-screen doesn't mean the d**n screen surface is 3-D. That's physically impossible, by the way."

That still doesn't make it more logical to play a 2D game.
baus

Con

Pro is fighting his own resolution now and rewriting in in round 4/5.

I refuse to accept this offer. This is an out of order alteration far too late into the game.

Actually if you play on a 2-D screen it does make more sense for a game to be 2-D than 3-D. That's like saying playing football without running up the walls shouldn't make sense just because running on one surface is, in your own opinion, less enjoyable. Do not see how stupid that sounds?

Your BoP is to uphold the resolution, not your amended version of it.

One round left Pro, your chance of winning this hangs on a thin line. Make it count.
Loveshismom

Pro

1. I am not fighting my own resolution. I am clarifying it. My argument in round 2 was about how 3D is more enjoyable. That should have made it clear what I meant by "better." The point was that 3D games have more emotional involvement with the player, and therefore are more enjoyable. My resolution from the start was that 3D games are more enjoyable. The only reasons why I did not clarify that earlier were

A: because you didn't give a definition of "better," and
B: I did not know you would not understand what I meant.

2. "That's like saying playing football without running up the walls shouldn't make sense just because running on one surface is, in your own opinion, less enjoyable."

Actually, no it is not. It is a valid point because 3D games have a variety advantage, which also comes with running up the walls in football. For example:

2.1: 3D games make the player feel like they are more free to move around because they can move in basically every direction they can in real life. in 2D, however, you are generally limited to two directions of movement: left and right. That is why I prefer Sonic Colors to the classics.

2.2: the freely moveable camera allows for bigger, more complex levels.

For instance, since the Wii version of Sonic Colors is 3D, the level designers were able to hide the red rings in more subtle places than the DS version, which is 2D. You can also make more possible ways to complete the level in a 3D game.

2.3: generally, only a 3D game can functionally have rock music.

And lastly, the logic in playing a 2D game just because it is on a 2D surface is entirely subjective and only in a player's personal opinion. One can argue that it is or is not, but it is still only a subjective opinion.
baus

Con

baus forfeited this round.
Posted by Tore_Mihror 2 years ago
Tore_Mihror
I would like to excuse myself for forgetting to actually choose a winner. God damm mobile. As I had stated, I believe pro should win. I hope my vote, or rather non vote can be used as guidance for other voters.
Posted by Tore_Mihror 2 years ago
Tore_Mihror
Posted by Loveshismom 2 years ago
Loveshismom
ps3.
Posted by theyseemewhalin 2 years ago
theyseemewhalin
Do you mean 3D as in like PS3 games, or 3D as in like say Pokemon where you can move left, right, up, and down?
Posted by Loveshismom 2 years ago
Loveshismom
I won't forfeit it promise.
Vote Placed by Tore_Mihror 2 years ago
Tore_Mihror
LoveshismombausTied
Reasons for voting decision: Neither had good a reliable sources, but pro was able to make precise and clear arguments non-the-less. Con's main argument that games are only played on 2d surfaces is rendered useless due to the rise of curved tv's and Virtual Reality. Swearing has no place in structured and proffesional debate, so this is an easy win for pro.