Acceptance of Middle Eastern Refugees into the United States

duckuin has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Hello! In light of the Obama Administration's recent completion of its goal to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees in the U.S, I would like to hold a debate on whether or not this is a good thing. I will argue that it was a net positive and my opponent will argue the opposite.

First round is acceptance. BoP is shared.

Looking forward to a great debate!

The cost to resettle refugees currently reaches $587 million a year, and that could only increase if the United States were to accept more refugees. That money could be used for other, possibly more useful, things. Each refugee costs more than $60,000 to support for five years. That money could be better spent supporting veterans, first responders, or other true American heroes. The idea that large sums of money should be spent on foreigners is absolutely preposterous, considering that there are people who risk their lives to help others in need of help.

Thank you for your arguments. Here are mine.

1. Obligation to Foreign Nations

You and I both know that Europe has a migrant crisis. Because the United States is not offering to help, migrants have flooded the European continent, often into countries such as Greece that currently do not have the capacity to handle them, be it economic, spatial, or other reasons. And the United States? We're just sitting idly by while our European allies are being overwhelmed by the sheer number of people entering their countries. Germany most of all has been especially kind in accepting more refugees than it can handle, but this can't go on forever. Their quota is about 27,000 refugees, a huge amount for a country of its size. [1] In addition, economically struggling countries like Greece are not able to handle the influx of refugees traveling across the Bosporus and the Mediterranean.

Added to our duty to help and support our European allies is our duty to help the migrants themselves. These are people who are fleeing horrific violence and suffering in search of safety. As the strongest country in the world, and arguably the one that could support the most, we have a moral duty to grant safety to these refugees.

These shall be my main arguments. I will elaborate and expand on them in later rounds as necessary.

You say that the cost to resettle refugees is $587 million per year. You have provided no source and I thus cannot fact-check your claim. Please provide sources in the future.

Anyhow, $587 million sounds like a lot on paper, but do you know how much the proposed federal budget is this year? 4.1 trillion dollars.[2] Thus (if I did my math correctly) the cost to resettle refugees would constitute about 0.014% of the total budget. This is a ridiculously small amount and it will do a tremendous amount of good. Are you really willing to tell the 25,000 people who have died just trying to get to Europe [3] that their lives are not worth spending less than one fifth of one percent of our national budget saving?

Posted by OnePunch 1 month ago
Suppose IS is defeated and the land they conquered taken back, would the refugees go back? Shouldn't they go back?
Posted by canis 1 month ago
Acceptance will lead to this in a shorter time.