emospongebob527
MuppetMunchkin

According To The Holy Bible, Jonah Was Swallowed By a Big/Large/Great Fish.

emospongebob527

emospongebob527

Pro

Today's debate is about whether or not Jonah was swallowed by a whale.

1. Acceptance
2. Main Definitions/Presentation of Main Argument
3 & 4. Rebuttals
5. Resolution/Closing Argument

Hint: Definitions can be used in other rounds besides R1

Rules-
No semantics
No trolling
No profanity
No vulgarity

Violating any of the rules results in immediate termination of the debate.

The offending party will be the loser.
MuppetMunchkin

Con

I totally think it was a whale. I mean, whales are like fish, right? And maybe they just didnt know what it was called then!!
emospongebob527

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate.

Definitions-

according to- as stated or attested by.

whale- the common name for various marine mammals of the order Cetacea.

fish-any member of a paraphyletic group of organisms that consist of all gill-bearing aquatic craniate animals that lack limbs with digits.

Contention 1- What the Bible says

Of course since the resolution states, "According to The Bible" I will present different versions of the Bible that state Jonah was swallowed by a large/big/great fish. Ergo.

New International Version (©1984)
But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights.

New Living Translation (©2007)
Now the LORD had arranged for a great fish to swallow Jonah. And Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights.

English Standard Version (©2001)
And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
The LORD sent a big fish to swallow Jonah. Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)

American King James Version

American Standard Version
And Jehovah prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Douay-Rheims Bible
Now the Lord prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonas: and Jonas was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Darby Bible Translation
And Jehovah prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

English Revised Version
And the LORD prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah; and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
Yahweh prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

Young's Literal Translation
And Jehovah appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah, and Jonah is in the bowels of the fish three days and three nights.

Contention 2- Why it was not a whale (difference between a fish and whale)

Fish-
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
(unranked) Craniata

Whale-

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Subclass: Eutheria
Order: Cetacea

In the diagrams above the lowest scientific classification whales and fish share our, their Phylum. Which isn't anywhere near close enough to call them the same specis of animal.

Differences-

What Distinguishes Whales From Fish? If you're still not convinced, here are some specific ways that whales differ from fish.
  • Swimming: Whales move their tails up-and-down, while fish move theirs from side-to-side (this causes the fish's whole body to undulate).
  • Breathing: Whales breathe through their blowholes, which are basically nostrils on the top of their heads. Fish take in oxygen from the water through their gills.
  • Birthing: Whales give birth to live young. Fish lay eggs.
  • Skin: Whales have smooth skin, while fish have scales.
  • Body heat: Whales are warm-blooded (endothermic), while fish are cold-blooded (ectothermic)
In conclusion it is safe to say Jonah was never swallowed by a whale because:

a) The Bible states he is swallowed by a fish.
b) A whale is not a fish.
MuppetMunchkin

Con

I agree with the definitions

Where in any of these bible passages, may I ask, does it say how they swim, how they breed, how they breathe, what their skin looks like or what they feel like???

If I were swallowed by a whale, I might get confused and say it was a monster or ... A whale. Like I said, it was very ancient times, nearly all things that swam in the sea were probably known as fish because they simply hadn't done research yet.
emospongebob527

Pro

"I agree with the definitions

If I were swallowed by a whale, I might get confused and say it was a monster or ... A whale. Like I said, it was very ancient times, nearly all things that swam in the sea were probably known as fish because they simply hadn't done research yet."

My opponent fails to understand my resolution: "According To The Holy Bible, Jonah Was Swallowed By a Big/Large/Great Fish."

Notice in my resolution I say "according to" I never claimed that Bible means that it is a whale, the Bible clearly says it is a fish regardless of whether it is actually a fish, or whether or not they knew how to distuingish the two animals.
MuppetMunchkin

Con

MuppetMunchkin forfeited this round.
Posted by MuppetMunchkin 4 years ago
MuppetMunchkin
Agreed with phantom!!! :D
Posted by Smithereens 4 years ago
Smithereens
@phantom
lol, that one hits the mark :D
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
And if you disagree, why did you change the resolution?
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
*yaun* I'm so tired of people ignoring what I said.
Posted by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
According to means in the context of, so therefore. By literal terms, the Bible means what it says, the whale is not a big fish.
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
I knew you wouldn't understand me. The Bible never says it wasn't a whale, therefore it is false that "according to the Bible Jonah was not swallowed by a whale." In order for the resolution to be true, the Bible has to explicitly claim or imply it was not a whale. It does not. The term "big fish" could have been alluding to the whale. Yes a whale is not necessarily a fish, but that's only according to our standards today and I doubt they would make a differentiation then. So the resolution is false.
Posted by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
The Bible says he was swallowed by a big fish lol

New International Version ("1984)
New Living Translation ("2007)

English Standard Version ("2001)

New American Standard Bible ("1995)

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

GOD'S WORD" Translation ("1995)

King James 2000 Bible ("2003)

American King James Version

American Standard Version

Douay-Rheims Bible

Darby Bible Translation

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jona
Posted by phantom 4 years ago
phantom
The Bible never says he was swallowed by a whale but it doesn't say he wasn't so the resolution is false.
Vote Placed by Wallstreetatheist 4 years ago
Wallstreetatheist
emospongebob527MuppetMunchkinTied