The Instigator
Purushadasa
Pro (for)
Losing
3 Points
The Contender
theta_pinch
Con (against)
Winning
7 Points

According to Carl Sagan, Intelligent Design Science = Valid and Observable Science

Do you like this debate?NoYes+0
Add this debate to Google Add this debate to Delicious Add this debate to FaceBook Add this debate to Digg  
Post Voting Period
The voting period for this debate has ended.
after 2 votes the winner is...
theta_pinch
Voting Style: Open Point System: 7 Point
Started: 8/14/2017 Category: Science
Updated: 5 months ago Status: Post Voting Period
Viewed: 676 times Debate No: 103519
Debate Rounds (5)
Comments (22)
Votes (2)

 

Purushadasa

Pro

intelligent Design Science was initiated by scientist Carl Sagan, circa 1985.

Sagan, now dead, was agnostic, not a Creationist,
and Intelligent Design Science was originally intended as a scientific method for detecting life on other planets.

Although Intelligent Design Science also applies to the issue
of the origin of life on this planet " and indeed Intelligent Design Science
proves conclusively the fact that all life on this planet was designed
by an intelligent agent -- Intelligent Design Science
is certainly not Creationism. Short related video: https://www.youtube.com...
theta_pinch

Con

intelligent Design Science was initiated by scientist Carl Sagan, circa 1985.
Short related video: https://www.youtube.com...;

https://m.youtube.com...
The only proof my opponent has provided as of yet for Carl Sagan being related to Intelligent Design much less initiating the movement is a YouTube video. However, the video provided by my opponent is out of context and misleading. The full video, which I have provided above, at 56 seconds shows that Carl Sagan actually called natural selection "far more compelling" than intelligent design.


Although Intelligent Design Science also applies to the issue
of the origin of life on this planet " and indeed Intelligent Design Science
proves conclusively the fact that all life on this planet was designed
by an intelligent agent -- Intelligent Design Science
is certainly not Creationism.

My opponent is making a bold claim saying that "Intelligent Design Science proves conclusively" that all life on the planet was designed by an intelligent agent. Calling it a fact more bold still. However, no citations or proof of any kind for these assertions have been provided as of yet.

My opponent has not provided citations for most of the claims, and the only citation provided is a YouTube video cut directly before Carl Sagan outright says natural selection is more compelling than intelligent design.
Debate Round No. 1
Purushadasa

Pro

My opponent wrote:

"Intelligent Design Science proves conclusively" that all life on the planet was designed by an intelligent agent."

That is true, actually: Thank you for your agreement and support, and God bless you! =)

I provided conclusive proof for all of my assertions, but you have provided none at all for any of your atheistic assertions.

Also, without God, nobody could make an objective distinction between proof and lack thereof.

Carl Sagan is well-known for having been the front-runner of the failed "SETI" program in the 1980's, in which he tried desperately to find life on other planets, but embarrassingly failing to do so. During his time as frontrunner of SETI, he personally coined the phrase "Intelligent Design," steadfastly declaring to the world at large that Intelligent Design is valid and observable science: These are all well-known and undeniable historical facts.

Therefore I won this debate: Thanks for your time! =)
theta_pinch

Con

"Intelligent Design Science proves conclusively" that all life on the planet was designed by an intelligent agent."

That is true, actually: Thank you for your agreement and support, and God bless you! =)
My opponent is once again attempting deception through the practice of quote mining.

I provided conclusive proof for all of my assertions, but you have provided none at all for any of your atheistic assertions.
You have yet to provide any valid citations at all.

Also, without God, nobody could make an objective distinction between proof and lack thereof.
This claim requires significant proof which you have not provided for this claim.

Carl Sagan is well-known for having been the front-runner of the failed "SETI" program in the 1980's, in which he tried desperately to find life on other planets, but embarrassingly failing to do so. During his time as frontrunner of SETI, he personally coined the phrase "Intelligent Design," steadfastly declaring to the world at large that Intelligent Design is valid and observable science: These are all well-known and undeniable historical facts.
If they are well known and undeniable historical facts then I am sure it will be easy for you to provide citations for Carl Sagan coining the phrase and declaring it valid science without further quote mining attempts.
Debate Round No. 2
Purushadasa

Pro

My opponent wrote:

"Intelligent Design Science proves conclusively" that all life on the planet was designed by an intelligent agent."

That is true, actually: Thank you for your agreement and support, and God bless you! =)

I provided conclusive proof for all of my assertions, but you have provided none at all for any of your atheistic assertions.

Also, without God, nobody could make an objective distinction between proof and lack thereof.

"Carl Sagan is well-known for having been the front-runner of the failed "SETI" program in the 1980's, in which he tried desperately to find life on other planets, but embarrassingly failing to do so. During his time as frontrunner of SETI, he personally coined the phrase "Intelligent Design," steadfastly declaring to the world at large that Intelligent Design is valid and observable science: These are all well-known and undeniable historical facts."

That is all true.

I won this debate: Thanks for your time! =)
theta_pinch

Con

Sorry, but quoting me quoting your arguments is neither a concession nor proof of your own claims.


Debate Round No. 3
Purushadasa

Pro

My opponent did not respond to any of these facts:

My opponent wrote:

"Intelligent Design Science proves conclusively" that all life on the planet was designed by an intelligent agent."

That is true, actually: Thank you for your agreement and support, and God bless you! =)

I provided conclusive proof for all of my assertions, but you have provided none at all for any of your atheistic assertions.

Also, without God, nobody could make an objective distinction between proof and lack thereof.

"Carl Sagan is well-known for having been the front-runner of the failed "SETI" program in the 1980's, in which he tried desperately to find life on other planets, but embarrassingly failing to do so. During his time as frontrunner of SETI, he personally coined the phrase "Intelligent Design," steadfastly declaring to the world at large that Intelligent Design is valid and observable science: These are all well-known and undeniable historical facts."

That is all true.

I won this debate: Thanks for your time! =)
theta_pinch

Con

I hate to break it to you, but saying your argument is true and that you won this debate doesn't make it true.


Debate Round No. 4
Purushadasa

Pro

My opponent did not respond to any of these facts:

My opponent wrote:

"Intelligent Design Science proves conclusively" that all life on the planet was designed by an intelligent agent."

That is true, actually: Thank you for your agreement and support, and God bless you! =)

I provided conclusive proof for all of my assertions, but you have provided none at all for any of your atheistic assertions.

Also, without God, nobody could make an objective distinction between proof and lack thereof.

"Carl Sagan is well-known for having been the front-runner of the failed "SETI" program in the 1980's, in which he tried desperately to find life on other planets, but embarrassingly failing to do so. During his time as frontrunner of SETI, he personally coined the phrase "Intelligent Design," steadfastly declaring to the world at large that Intelligent Design is valid and observable science: These are all well-known and undeniable historical facts."

That is all true.

I won this debate: Thanks for your time! =)
theta_pinch

Con

Throughout this debate my opponent has stubbornly refused to provide citations for claims. Furthermore he has attempted to quote me quoting him for a counter argument as proof of his claims. My opponent has thus failed to fulfill his burden of proof.
Debate Round No. 5
22 comments have been posted on this debate. Showing 1 through 10 records.
Posted by Purushadasa 5 months ago
Purushadasa
Thank you all for so many kind and intelligent posts.

My engagement on this site was intended, from the beginning, to be a nothing more than a temporary experiment.

I didn't know specifically when it was going to end, until this evening: My girlfriend, Bhaktin Caroline, said something to me that inspired me to make tonight the end of the experiment.

Bhaktin Caroline matters much, much more than this website.

If you are still feeling overly attached after I leave, I apologize, but I will still be leaving nonetheless: I won't be engaging in any further debates, arguments, or conversations on this site, and nor will I be reading any further posts uploaded by its kind and intelligent members -- starting now.

You can argue amongst yourselves, from now on.

Good-bye! =)
Posted by Purushadasa 5 months ago
Purushadasa
My opponent did not respond to any of these facts:

My opponent wrote:

"Intelligent Design Science proves conclusively" that all life on the planet was designed by an intelligent agent."

That is true, actually: Thank you for your agreement and support, and God bless you! =)

I provided conclusive proof for all of my assertions, but you have provided none at all for any of your atheistic assertions.

Also, without God, nobody could make an objective distinction between proof and lack thereof.

"Carl Sagan is well-known for having been the front-runner of the failed "SETI" program in the 1980's, in which he tried desperately to find life on other planets, but embarrassingly failing to do so. During his time as frontrunner of SETI, he personally coined the phrase "Intelligent Design," steadfastly declaring to the world at large that Intelligent Design is valid and observable science: These are all well-known and undeniable historical facts."

That is all true.

I won this debate: Thanks for your time! =)
Posted by Purushadasa 5 months ago
Purushadasa
It is a well-known historical fact that the famous agnostic and failed alien-hunter, Carl Sagan (now dead) is the person that originally coined the phrase "Intelligent Design."

In fact, he is well-known for having made the following statement:

"A pattern always indicates Intelligent Design."

To be perfectly clear, the above quote is Sagan's position, not mine.
Posted by PsionicTurtle 5 months ago
PsionicTurtle
Purushadasa, where are you getting that quote from?
All I found was a really condescending article that just repeated the old argument of how humans are so complex that they could not possibly have spontaniously existed. Not like something much more advanced is what is supposedly what created us.

Article for those interested: https://afajournal.org...

Apologies for spelling errors, on mobile.
Posted by PsionicTurtle 5 months ago
PsionicTurtle
Purushadasa, where are you getting that quote from?
All I found was a really condescending article that just repeated the old argument of how humans are so complex that they could not possibly have spontaniously existed. Not like something much more advanced is what is supposedly what created us.

Article for those interested: https://afajournal.org...

Apologies for spelling errors, on mobile.
Posted by Purushadasa 5 months ago
Purushadasa
Here is one of Sagan's quotes on Intelligent Design Science:

"A pattern always indicates Intelligent Design."

To be clear -- the above is Sagan's claim, not mine.
Posted by platoandaristotle 5 months ago
platoandaristotle
Intelligent design is not a method.
These are his words(Sagan):
"We are the product of 4.5 billion years of fortuitous, slow biological evolution. There is no reason to think that the evolutionary process has stopped. Man is a transitional animal. He is not the climax of creation."
Posted by Purushadasa 5 months ago
Purushadasa
I am not in the habit of making direct responses to ignorant two-legged animals in the comments sections under my debates.
Posted by BrettBoelkens 5 months ago
BrettBoelkens
Copy and paste is great, isn't it. Anyone who wants to debate this guy, look down to the first comment to see how his argument is quote mined rubbish.
Posted by Purushadasa 5 months ago
Purushadasa
I am not in the habit of making direct responses to ignorant two-legged animals in the comments sections under my debates.
2 votes have been placed for this debate. Showing 1 through 2 records.
Vote Placed by Phenenas 5 months ago
Phenenas
Purushadasatheta_pinchTied
Agreed with before the debate:-Vote Checkmark-0 points
Agreed with after the debate:-Vote Checkmark-0 points
Who had better conduct:-Vote Checkmark-1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:-Vote Checkmark-1 point
Made more convincing arguments:-Vote Checkmark-3 points
Used the most reliable sources:-Vote Checkmark-2 points
Total points awarded:07 
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 5 months ago
dsjpk5
Purushadasatheta_pinchTied
Agreed with before the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Agreed with after the debate:--Vote Checkmark0 points
Who had better conduct:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Had better spelling and grammar:--Vote Checkmark1 point
Made more convincing arguments:Vote Checkmark--3 points
Used the most reliable sources:--Vote Checkmark2 points
Total points awarded:30