Elina
Mr_Khan

According to the Bible, women should not be pastors

Elina

Elina

Pro

I am really amazed at how many churches accept women as pastors. The Bible CLEARLY teaches that women should not have this kind of authority in the church. 1 Corinthians 14:33-34 says, "As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says."
I am curious how a Christian could refute this. I see no Biblical support for female pastors whatsoever.
Mr_Khan

Con

That is quite an interesting argument based on the Bible. For my argument I must say I come from not a Christian or Catholic background but more of an Islamic and Christian background. As far as I am concerned or understand All men (human beings) were created equally. Woman was created out of Man, but both were created in the image of God. If God is all loving, forgiving, producing, and protecting, and equal in creation, why would there not be allowance of women in the Church? Is it forbidden? Is it sinful if a woman gives her mind in church? What is the reason as to whwomen should not be pastors, besides that they should be silent in church? it is something curious to me though.
Elina

Pro

Mr. Khan, thank you for accepting my debate.
You say all human beings were created equally, and in the image of God. That is true. God does not favor one gender over the other, but He also did not assign them the same roles. He made the man to be the leader and woman to be the follower. This was part of the punishment Eve got for eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
In Genesis 3:16, God says to Eve, "Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you."
You ask, "If God is all loving, forgiving, producing, and protecting, and equal in creation, why would there not be allowance of women in the church? Is it forbidden?"
The Bible does not say women aren't allowed in church. They just are not allowed to preach in the church. 1 Timothy 2:12-13 says, "I do not permit a woman to teach or excercise authority over a man; rather, she is to remain quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve."
This does not make God unloving, unforgiving, etc. He loves women just as much as men, but as I said before, He assigned them different roles. Because He created us, He had every right to do so.
You ask, "Is it sinful if a woman gives her mind in church?" I am not sure if when the Bible says women are to keep silent, it means women are never allowed to state their opinions or ask questions in church. I do know that it is sinful if she is doing it in a way that is excercising authority over men. The Bible makes this very clear in the verse I quoted.
I do not claim to know the mind of God, and why exactly He chose to set up the church the way that He did. But according to His word, women may not excersise authority over men in the church, so therefore, may not be pastors.

Thanks!
Mr_Khan

Con

Mr_Khan forfeited this round.
Elina

Pro

My opponent has forfeited this round, and I have nothing to add to my argument, so I will wait to hear from my opponent.

Thanks!
Mr_Khan

Con

Mr_Khan forfeited this round.
Posted by Eviebowser 4 years ago
Eviebowser
There are a lot of better arguments against the view that women don't belong in ministry. A lot of these arguments can be found in Scripture... i.e. internal validation. For further readon check out Kroger and Kroger, "I Suffer Not a Woman"
Posted by Goduseswomen 7 years ago
Goduseswomen
1. 1 Timothy 2:12 is not a blanket rule for all women of all churches. If it were, then the women could not speak at all, for the same verse that tells them not to teach also tells them to be silent.

If all women had to keep silent in church, then that would be promoting disobedience to God, for they could not prophesy, pray, testify, sing, exhort, do personal work, or even get saved.

Whenever an interpretation to a verse contradicts the rest of the teaching of the Bible, we know this interpretation is incorrect, for the Holy Spirit will never contradict His own Word.

This is the chief verse that is used to oppose women preaching and yet it says nothing about preaching, nor does it say anything about a public worship or church service. But, on the contrary, this verse is giving instructions to wives as to how they were to conduct themselves in regard to their husband. Paul says in 1 Cor. 14:35, "And if they will LEARN anything, let them ask their husbands at home." Now he states in 1 Tim. 2:12 that the woman should learn in silence, and should not usurp authority over the man. Paul is dealing with more of a home problem than a church problem.
Posted by Goduseswomen 7 years ago
Goduseswomen
What Does the Bible Say About Women Preachers?

This Article was taken from Trumpet Wind email list. TrumpetWindList@TrumpetWind.

by Pastor Keith A. Smith

1. There is not one Scripture in the Bible that forbids women from preaching, but on the contrary, there are many verses that encourage both men and women to preach the Gospel.

2. The Bible teaches that God is not a respecter of persons, and He will use any and all who will yield to Him, regardless of race, age, or sex.

Galatians 3:28 - "...neither male nor female...for ye are all one in Christ Jesus."

Acts 10:34 - "...God is no respecter of persons...."

Moses said in Numbers 11:29, "Would God that all the Lord's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put His spirit upon them!"

The crying need of the hour is for more laborers. It is a trick of the enemy to try to down rate thousands of our faithful laborers just because they were born females.

3. The Great Commission, Mark 16:15, "Preach the Gospel," is to ALL believers, and to all the church of Jesus Christ. The command to "preach the Gospel" is to both male and female.

4. It is an undeniable fact that God has called and anointed thousands of women to preach the Gospel. The Full Gospel organizations have hundreds of licensed and ordained women who are preaching, teaching, evangelizing, pastoring, and doing mission work with the signs following their ministry. God is using them for the salvation of the lost, deliverance from sin, gifts of the Spirit, and infilling of the Holy Spirit.

The Bible says, "Touch not mine anointed and do my prophets no harm." And may we be reminded of the Scripture in Acts 5:39, "If it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God."

When someone says, "God does not call women to preach," it is like saying that God does not baptize with the Holy Spirit today. We know better, because we have witnessed and experienced it with our own ears and eyes.

I wo
Posted by Goduseswomen 7 years ago
Goduseswomen
That's not true at all. There ARE BUNCHE of scriptures that support women preaching. Priscilla and Phoebe assisted the Apostle Paul. What Paul was talking about was a particular church problem and the other he was talking more about a HOME PROBLEM.

Proof:

The Great Commission, Mark 16:15, "Preach the Gospel," is to ALL believers, and to all the church of Jesus Christ. The command to "preach the Gospel" is to both male and female.

. Women preachers are a fulfillment of Bible Prophecy and another sign of Christ's soon return to earth (Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17-18).

6. The Bible declares that women will prophesy: 1 Cor. 11:5, "For every woman that prayeth or prophesieth...."

Both the Hebrew (Nebrah), and Greek (Proph) used for prophetess means (female preacher). (See Young's Concordance, Pg. 780.)

The word "Prophet" means a public expounder.

7. God called and used women preachers in the Old Testament.

a. DEBORAH - Judges 4:4-5. Deborah was a Judge for both civil and criminal cases. The children of Israel came to her for judgment. She was the chief ruler of Israel for 40 years, giving orders to the Generals and all the army. She did the work of an evangelist, prophetess, Judge, and a preacher. God gave her authority over the mighty (Judges 5:13).

b. MIRIAM - Exodus 15:20; Numbers 12:1; Micah 6:4. She was a Prophetess and a Song Leader in Israel.

c. HULDAH - 2 Kings 22:14. Five men went to Sister Huldah and communed with her. She spoke to a congregation of men concerning the book of the Law. A female preached to a man's congregation, and her message was taken to the nation and produced a revival.

d. MAHER-SHALAL-HASH-BAZ'S MOTHER - Isaiah 8:3. She was a prophetess.

8. God called and used women preachers in the New Testament.

a. The first message of the Resurrection of Christ was spoken by women to a group of men.

b. Anna - Luke 2:36-38. She must have prophesied in
Posted by Elina 7 years ago
Elina
Yes it does. So I am STILL curious how Christians who believe the Bible is the word of God can justify female pastors. Maybe I can debate a Methodist about this someday.
Posted by twsurber 7 years ago
twsurber
1 Timothy chapter 3 clearly identifies that a bishop (pastor) be a male.
Posted by drewMurrdotCom 8 years ago
drewMurrdotCom
That verse was added by the Catholic church in 500A.D. to stop an early women's rights movement. (I just made that up, but I like the way it sounds and it makes sense)
Vote Placed by Elina 7 years ago
Elina
ElinaMr_KhanTied
Vote Placed by twsurber 7 years ago
twsurber
ElinaMr_KhanTied