stubs
kohai

According to the Christian Bible only Christians go to heaven

Reasons for your voting decision - Required

stubs

Pro

First round is for acceptance and clarification of rules.

My position is that according to the Christian bible, only Christians go to heaven.

Christian: a person who has, by faith, received and fully trusted in Jesus Christ as their Savior.
Based on: Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 3:16
kohai

Con

I accept your challenge.
stubs

Pro

My argument is that, according to the bible, the only people that go to heaven are people who accept Jesus as their Savior and know that they need forgiveness from God. We see this throughout the bible from Genesis to Revelation. When looking at Adam and Eve someone could say, "They would have never known about the historical figure Jesus, meaning they could not be saved." True, they would not have known specifically about Jesus but they did know that they needed forgiveness from God somehow.

Moving on to some verses that imply the only way to get to heaven is through Jesus.

John 14:6 - "Jesus answered, 'I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except threw me."
I believe this is Jesus making a clear statement that He is the only way to heaven.

Matthew 26:39 - "[...] My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me [...]" Jesus even asks if their is another way to give people salvation. The answer is clearly no. It must also be made clear that Jesus was not asking because He did not know the answer. He was asking so that we would know there is no other way to heaven.

John 6:40 - "For my fathers will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day"

Acts 16:31 - "Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved- you and your household."

Ephesians 2:8 - "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God."

Romans 10:9 - "That if you confess with your mouth 'Jesus is Lord' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." This is the most compelling in my mind.
kohai

Con

I wish to thank my opponent for this debate. For this debate, all what I need to do to win is to show just one example of a non-Christian going to heaven.

Fact 1: Babies go to heaven

"Because they have forsaken Me and have made this an alien place and have burned sacrifices in it to other gods, that neither they nor their forefathers nor the kings of Judah had ever known, and because they have filled this place with the blood of the innocent and have built the high places of Baal to burn their sons in the fire as burnt offerings to Baal, a thing which I never commanded or spoke of, nor did it ever enter My mind; (Jeremiah 19:4-5)

Moreover, your little ones who you said would become a prey, and your sons, who this day have no knowledge of good or evil, shall enter there, and I will give it to them and they shall possess it. (Deuteronomy 1:39)

"Or like a miscarriage which is discarded, I would not be, As infants that never saw light. There the wicked cease from raging, And there the weary are at rest. (Job 3:16-17)

"Moreover, you took your sons and daughters whom you had borne to Me and sacrificed them to idols to be devoured. Were your harlotries so small a matter? You slaughtered My children and offered them up to idols by causing them to pass through the fire." (Ezekiel 16:20-21)

Then some children were brought to Him so that He might lay His hands on them and pray; and the disciples rebuked them. But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." (Matthew 19:13-14)

"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin" (Deut. 24:16).

In addition, there is a story in David's life where he lost his baby and exclamed that he will see him again.

Fact 2: Elijah was not a Christian, but went to heaven

The fact that he went to heaven is very clear. He was taken to heaven alive: "And it came to pass, as they went still on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."

How do I know Elijah was not a Christian? Simple, Jesus never came and thus could not have confessed his sins and accepted Jesus as savior. Remember, you have defined "christian" as one who fully trusts in Jesus. They didn't even know the Messiah's name would be Jesus.

Fact 3: Enoch was not a Christian, but went to heaven.

This is re-affirmed in the book of Hebrews. He is listed as the "hall" of faith and talks about God taking him alive. This is consistant with Genesis.

How do I know he wasn't a Christian? Same way Elijah wasn't a Christian!

| Conclusion |

I have given examples of how a person who has not confessed there sins can go to heaven. Therefore, I have won this debate. VOTE CON!

stubs

Pro

stubs forfeited this round.
stubs

Pro

stubs forfeited this round.
stubs

Pro

stubs forfeited this round.
kohai

Con

kohai forfeited this round.
Posted by kohai 6 years ago
kohai
Definition
Bible: 66 books of the Bble. That includes OT and NT
Vote Placed by Zarroette 3 years ago
Zarroette
stubskohaiTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 6 years ago
Man-is-good
stubskohaiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Impressive argument, Kohai.
Vote Placed by ApostateAbe 6 years ago
ApostateAbe
stubskohaiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's forfeit and Con's solid evidence