sanfreg
taytinn

Across cultures darker people suffer most

sanfreg

Pro

Rapper, Andre 3000 featured the text "Across cultures darker people suffer most. Why?" on his Outkast reunion tour jumpsuit. I personally believe that there is a stigma attached to dark skin, not just in black communities, but in cultures of ethnic minorities and white people historically worldwide. I would like to know if you agree that you automatically seen darker people as less than; whether this is deliberate or not, and if so, whether you feel this is justified.
taytinn

Con

I disagree. Think about it, darker skinned people have suffered a lot through the years, but imagine this. Those of a lighter colored skin are suffering more now than they every have before. Not because of "inequal rights" but because of their ignorance. I mean, they are all overly privelaged and ignorant of what they don't possibly have. In the long run those with darker skin are going to prevail simply because they know what suffering is and what it's like for them to be pushed down and rise up over and over again.

I view the ligther skins as suffering more.
sanfreg

Pro

That is a really good line of arguement that I hadn't thought about. I'm looking more on the societal impact of colorism, such as in certain Asian cultures where skin bleaching agents are in normal skincare products. Where seeing dark skin as a negative is considered normal, the standard. And unquestionable ideal. Has the idea of darker skin coming from working in lower class outdoors jobs prevailed into modern day stereotypes where they are profiled for crimes more. Where dark skinned women seem to be underrepresented in the media amongst the ideals of real beauty, with the implication that they'll never be quite up to par due to the tone of their skin. Where within ethnicities they create a hierarchy based on colour which may not allow darker skinned people to prevail, as they're unable to reach position of power as often.
taytinn

Con

Ah, but your example as skin bleaching agents is more of an ancient styling type technique. Asian cultures have always been pail and have always valued lighter colored skin as royalty. If you think about it, royalty would always spend their time inside and have pure, light, skin. Farmers had tan skin and were valued less simply because it showed that they were not rich and did not have the royal blood within them.

And whilst yes, it may seem like right now those of darker skin color have it worse, it's not true. They also have so many privileges light colored folks don't. More benefits, more leniency, and a whole lot more privilege to use the, "Poor me I'm dark skinned" card. White people can't really do that.

Your argument, sadly, is flawed when you just look a bit closer and stop listening to musicians who "think" they have it hard.
sanfreg

Pro

You're just validating my point that it is culturally more acceptable to have lighter skin. Darker skin is seen as low class and therefore negatively perceived as less attractive. You can't say that slavery Is right because it was the 'tradition' or cultural norm at the time. You can't say hating Jews is okay because it was the accepted In Germany during ww2 that they were untrustworthy and was therefore the norm.
I feel that dark skinned people aren't given room to complain because colorism within races isn't percieved as, as valid as racism between races. It leaves darker people low down within their race, a race which is already seen as less in society.
taytinn

Con

Before I go on with my argument I would like to ask you to revise your text once in a while. Your grammar is becoming worse and worse as we go on.

Moving on now, in your previous argument you argued whether it is or isn't okay for them to suffer. Not whether or not they do or don't suffer. You have gone off on a tangent and therefore I refuse to say anymore on the matter.

Dark skinned people don't suffer the most and I have proven it in my text.

I would like to ask the judges to view my final argument as showing how incompetent my opponent is on the current matter. He tried his best, but no cigar.