ballan
Dan4reason

Adam and Eve Theory Not Viable

Dan4reason

ballan

Con

How did Adam and Eve's child reproduce if their was only the two humans on earth besides the child? Was their incest? How did we get the mass population of humans we have today from two people? The bible's theory does not seem viable.
I would like someone to convince me how Adam and Eve's child reproduced. Did he/she reproduce with his/her father/mother? I want real evidence, with answers that would be viable in modern society.
Thanks for debating with me!
Dan4reason

Pro

Thanks for this debate. I did some rough math here. To answer the population question I took 2 and doubled it over and over again. This represents a population doubling:
1
2
4
....
134217728

I did this until I got up to 134 million which was the population of the world around 0 AD. This is a rough estimates as are all population estimates back then. And takes 26 steps. This requires population doubling every 150 years.

Also, insest will not kill babies only mutate them a little.
ballan

Con

ballan forfeited this round.
Dan4reason

Pro

Extend my arguments to this round.
ballan

Con

ballan forfeited this round.
Dan4reason

Pro

Extend my arguments to this round.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
The reason for the crazy lifespans is that many early calendars did not actually understand the seasons and the movement of the Sun, their years were actually Lunar Years, or approximated at 12 to 13 lunar years to one year.
We estimated Noah's 600 years at being actually 50, because the average life expectancy in a time when appendicitis was one of the biggest natural killers of humans, like cancer today, many never made it to their late teens. The average life expectancy in those times was 35, so 50 would be Ancient.
Methuselah would have been 75 years of age (or 900 lunar years), so he was considered as extremely ancient in their times, possibly the oldest living man ever recorded in his time.

According to fossil collections, there were never extremely old human bones ever found that could go anywhere near the ages described in the Bible, so very likely it was from old folk tales handed down that originated in times of Lunar Calendars and they never got translated properly back into Solar years.
Posted by Dan4reason 3 years ago
Dan4reason
You said it. I am looking at 3 debates that have forfeits and 2 others that are most likely forfeits.

The point that Adam and Eve had no genetic deformities is an interesting one. And yes Cain did find himself a wife. The only conclusion I can reach is that Cain killed Abel very long after Adam and Eve had other kids. Maybe they were hundreds of years old when this happened. The bible has these crazy lifespans for people at the very beginning. The Babylonians gave insane life-spans to their monarchs.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Hmmm, forfeits abound on DDO, come back and fight!!
XD~
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Though apologists go on about Adam and Eve having no genetic deformities thus their offspring will not have deformities if they intermarry.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
Hmm I thought he already alluded to that anyway. When he was on about incest, according to the Bible, there were others to breed with as Cain went off and found himself a wife, probably from the Neanderthals down the road in Nod, where Big Ears was the town mayor and Noddy the Sheriff.
Posted by Dan4reason 3 years ago
Dan4reason
Well, my opponent swapped sides but at least I knew from the beginning that he did. So I think we are good.

And what are you doing giving away hints to my opponent? :(

Anyway I can always use stuff like mitochondrial eve and an uncertain mutation rate. Somehow I think that if this debate had been with you I might have to do a lot more work.
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
BTW; It's like Pro and Con swapped sides. Con is arguing for the debate title and Pro is arguing against the debate statement/title.
Debate title states Adam and Eve not viable.
But Con is arguing in support of this.
Pro is arguing against the title by pushing viability.
Strange!???
Posted by Sagey 3 years ago
Sagey
If it was up to just 2 sets of genetics to create all humans on earth, we'd all be completely deformed and likely insane (oops it is right there), though we'd all have the same sets of deformities and less hereditary alleles. In other words, our genetics would be far closer between individuals than they are now.
Since mitochondrial DNA can be tracked back many thousands of years to a female, we'd all have pretty much the same mitochondrial DNA, which we don't.
Some of us have DNA from Neanderthals which is now blamed by some researchers for hereditary diabetes, so this would not be possible if all of us evolved from just a single pair.
Posted by MisfitCarrot 3 years ago
MisfitCarrot
I think all you may need to do is think about it simply.. This is just my idea on it, but think about two rabbits. This buggers populate so fast it's insane. And all you need is two of em. So when according to the bible, God put two humans here, they simply reproduced in very large numbers. With the population doubling about every 150 years like the other guy said. Hope this helps, but this is just my theory.
Vote Placed by Matt_L 3 years ago
Matt_L
ballanDan4reasonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were never touched by Con.
Vote Placed by Conservative101 3 years ago
Conservative101
ballanDan4reasonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited rounds 2 and 3, and Pro provided the last argument, which was not rebutted by Con.
Vote Placed by Xerge 3 years ago
Xerge
ballanDan4reasonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit