Edgar_Allan_Poe
Bogcha

Addiction is not a mental disorder.

Edgar_Allan_Poe

Pro

I love psychology and I don't think that addiction should be a DSM disorder. Accept my challenge and rounds two and three can be for the actual debate (you can begin your argument in the first round I suppose).
Bogcha

Con

I will gladly accept this debate. I will start my arguments from this section. The instigator can in the next section rebutte my arguments as well as provide his/her own.

I will be debating that addiction is a mental disorder. See below why:

1. Addiction due to Dopamine [1]

Addiction due to drug use (both street drugs as well as prescription drugs), sex addiction, tobacco and alcohol addiction are all related in one way. They stimulate the brain to secrete dopamine.

Dopamine: a compound present in the body as a neurotransmitter and a precursor of other substances including epinephrine.

Nearly all addictive drugs directly or indirectly target the brain in order to reward and flood the circuit system into releasing the above dopamine. The responsibility of this compound is to regulate emotion movement, cognition, motivation, and feelings of pleasure. Once this system of normal release/secretion is disrupted due to pre-longated exposure/consumption of drugs it creates an addiction in the sense that the brain becomes depended and used to always having that dopamine. In the event that the brain does not get its dosage of the compound it starts to crave for it. [2] This is what leads to addiction (addiction: the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.)
Therefore the brain does not operate in the same matter as it did prior to that addiction being created. The soul prupose of the brain is now to satisfy its craving of receiving dopamine.

[1] http://www.drugabuse.gov...
[2] http://www.summithelps.com...
Edgar_Allan_Poe

Pro

Experiencing pleasure and or joy is not a mental illness nor is having a physical dependance. Addiction can be a psychological dependance and in that case intervention passed some sort of rehab plan will be necessary. The fact the therapy can solve (at least temporally) drug addiction by finding the route problem displays that it is not a mental illness. Addiction can be a result of mental illness therefore you can help the addiction. If someone is taking drugs they got hooked at a party and it has developed into an addiction can be "fixed" by putting them in a room without drugs until the detox has finished. That can not happen with any other metal illness. All mental illnesses are unsolvable. No amount of therapy or drugs can solve autism, schizophrenia, anti-social personality disorder, or even post traumatic stress disorder. Therapy can help reduce the symptoms or behaviours although it can not make the problem go away. Some mental illnesses are caused by experiences and external substances of a sort although any mental illness caused by external influences can not be solved by removing those influences. So if you were to compare addiction to other mental disorders, as I just did, you would find that they have little in common.

I think that addiction is a medical disorder. Most addictions are related to physical things; those that are not are labeled as a fetish. Fetishes can not be solved by having the desired experience denied to them it just strengthens the craving (similar to people with anti-social personality disorder). Addiction is a big problem and should get attention; that being said many people that have previously been addicted to something should have therapy for some metal illness or problem but not the no longer existent addiction. Addiction is the result not the cause.
Bogcha

Con

Bogcha forfeited this round.
Edgar_Allan_Poe

Pro

Edgar_Allan_Poe forfeited this round.
Bogcha

Con

I would like to apologize for not providing a argument, i was busy (yea excuses).

Nonetheless, since the instigator has rebutted my arguments, I will do so also (I will keep it short):

"All mental illnesses are unsolvable. No amount of therapy or drugs can solve autism, schizophrenia, anti-social personality disorder, or even post traumatic stress disorder." You did not provide a source here, but, I will refute it.

Epidemiological (science that studies the patterns, causes, and effects of health and disease conditions in defined populations [1]) studies have based on clinically assessed schizophrenic population has proved a high overlap in regards to addiction and the disease [2]
Another important point that supports my argument is "The early identification of addictive disorders in schizophrenics should make it possible to limit their development and improve the prognosis." [2] As you can see, this publication (published by Unit"e de Traitement Ambulatoire des Malades Alcooliques, H"opital Beaujon, 100, Boulevard du G"en"eral Leclerc, 92110 Clichy, France.) has found a link between schizophrenia and addiction.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

"Diagnosis, or the co-existence of a serious psychiatric disorder and an addictive disorder. Recovering from this Dual Diagnosis requires a careful exploration of the causes of PTSD, combined with treatment for drug or alcohol addiction" [3]
The above reference as seen in link #3 makes a correlation to PTSD and drug and alcohol addiction, these factors have influenced the mental stability of an individual, secluding/marginalizing the individual from his/her/its peers in order to conduct the above actions (ie. do drugs). The same hypothesis can be applied to Anti-Social Personality Disorder.

VOTE CON! :)

[1] https://www.google.ca...
[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
[3] http://www.dualdiagnosis.org...
Posted by banjos42 1 year ago
banjos42
Great topic!